• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Basic sauce. How to...?

What are the basic ingredients for a hot sauce?

I have never made one, so have no point of reference, and can't even experiment...:oops:

huntsman said:
Hey Bud!

Cook it because...??? (So it doesn't go off?)

trust me, the whole taste and consistency is very different after cooking. I think everyone here will agree. I've just went straight to the blender a few times and it was just kinda 'grassy' and raw tasting or something. The flavours really mix together well when cooking. Most will advise against microwaving as well. I just simmer the ingredients in a pot for 20-30 minutes before blending it. Some people cook it after blending. not sure if that makes a difference.

huntsman said:
Dude, I'm already salivating here! You make it sound very easy (as I'm sure it is with a little practice) but is this 'lime juice' going to keep figuring in sauce making? We don't use lime juice in SA - as a general rule - but if it's important enough I'll find some!

Thanks!

Lime juice is a preference for me based on the combination of its taste and acidity. You could use lemons, oranges, or grapefruits as well. In fact, there might be an acidic fruit native to South Africa that would work better for you. Remember, this is all about what YOU want your sauce to taste like!

Last, but not least, have FUN with it too!

huntsman said:
Hey Bud!

Cook it because...??? (So it doesn't go off?)

Later...

Well I decided to put my foot down, and the cardomom stays!

(Actually my wife went to the neighbours for a moment...)

We have no cummin, and I desperately need to know what to use as a substitute. PLS.

Here's the little bush...

hab31jan201001.jpg

and a close up...

hab31jan201002.jpg

and we're almost set:

firsteversauceattemptal.jpg
JalapeƱos are great. I'd wait and add some cilantro when possible. great mix.
BTW you can cook the sauce, it tastes good either way... just different. I personally like it uncooked, but it's a personal opinion kinda thing.

LAYDEEEEZ 'N GENNILMEN!

Allow me to present:

Omri Sauce 2010...!

omrisaucejan2010.jpg

I considered waiting for the cilantro, but there was no way!

I decided to go for it and waded in with a few biscuits when finished. YUMMO!

I'll split the balance in two, and add cilantro to the one. The other one, I will 'reduce' (thanks Scott & AJ) and appraise the result.

Omri, I wasn't certain what to use the sauce on, but it's great on biscuits and the cardomom (How the hell DO you spell it?!) wasn't overpowering at all.

Thanks for participating!

Huntsman, that looks awesome!

Way to go for your first try!

This may help you, here a page that has like 50 recipes for hot sauces using all kinds of peppers, unripe, ripe, fermented(mash), pickled........
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html

It makes for good reading and will give you some really good basic recipes. It's pretty much what everyone has been saying, it's whatever YOU like. Find a recipe that has ingredients that you have or like and then follow it exactly if that feels more comfortable for the first time or two. But soon your inner hot sauce experimental demon will be released and you'll never be the same again! ................but that's a GOOD thing! ;)

Thanks folks!

Checking that link out now, salsalady -

It was a cool collective effort, and everyone's contribution was welcome and appreciated!

FYI - We have reduced 50% of the result for 30 mins and the taste is certainly different, as is the colour.

Omri said:
Looks like you haven't processed it enough. you've made a salsa, my friend. :lol:
Looks damn delicious, though! adding cilantro makes it way better.

Enjoy.

Heh heh!

I was wondering about that. Should have left it blending longer, eh?

I liked the second one a little more, but perhaps that's because I'd organised some cilantro and cumin powder.

Interestingly, it was great on french fries, but lousy on a barbecued sausage. Weird, huh?

huntsman said:
Heh heh!

I was wondering about that. Should have left it blending longer, eh?

I liked the second one a little more, but perhaps that's because I'd organised some cilantro and cumin powder.

Interestingly, it was great on french fries, but lousy on a barbecued sausage. Weird, huh?
So did you prefer it fresh (like I do) or cooked like suggested here?
One of my favorite sandwiches consists of the following:
Baguette, homemade hot sausage, tahini, roasted eggplants with mayo and "arab salad" (diced tomatoes, green chiles, lemon juice, onion and garlic). :drooling:

Omri said:
So did you prefer it fresh (like I do) or cooked like suggested here?
One of my favorite sandwiches consists of the following:
Baguette, homemade hot sausage, tahini, roasted eggplants with mayo and "arab salad" (diced tomatoes, green chiles, lemon juice, onion and garlic). :drooling:

No bacon? Are you a friggin vegetarian or something?

Best was possibly the fresh one, because you really pick up all the flavours and the heat is certainly lessened by the reducing (get it?!!) but that latter was also good.

Dude! That baguette sarmie sounds wild, and I just happen to have fresh Melezane/ Aubergine/ Eggplant in my veg patch, and that Arab salad in my fridge! Tahina is available locally, but home-made sausage will be substituted with 'German delicatessen Sausage'! :-)

huntsman said:
Best was possibly the fresh one, because you really pick up all the flavours and the heat is certainly lessened by the reducing (get it?!!) but that latter was also good.

Dude! That baguette sarmie sounds wild, and I just happen to have fresh Melezane/ Aubergine/ Eggplant in my veg patch, and that Arab salad in my fridge! Tahina is available locally, but home-made sausage will be substituted with 'German delicatessen Sausage'! :-)
DUDE! DUDE!!!
Ya da man! finally someone referring to Tahina as Tahina! I said "Tahini" because that's how most people in the western world call it. weirdos... :lol:
To make the eggplant w/mayo, just roast the eggplants 'til they get REALLY soft, peel and mix the flesh with some mayo (as much as ya like), garlic and salt.

Back