• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Battered Chilli Plant

I've just been wondering whether I should give my plants a bit of a prune but thankfully mother nature has taken the decision for me. Just been out back and found the plastic greenhouse flung over the otherside of the garden. I had a chocolate bhut plant on a shelf which has taken a battering.

Unfortunately I dont have my camera with me so I cant show the damage. Leaf/stem wise its not too bad, just a few branches snapped off, but its the roots I'm worried about. Nearly half the soil came out of the pot!!!

Does anybody have any experience with plants damaged in this way?

I know its impossible to say whether my plant will live without seeing the damage for yourselves but I'm just looking for any stories of this happening to others, and whether their little darlings pulled through.

Cheers

Sorry to hear that, but yes I've had that experience and depending on the amount of damage to a given plant took one of two steps. If the main stem or major branches weren't badly damaged, just repot - it will be fine. When I've had major branch (with pods) or main stem breakage, I tape things back in place as well as possible, using medical tape. Then I also stake around the plant and add support for the taped-on parts. This has been successful most of the time.

Read the title and thought you'd invented a new delicacy for the fish and chip shops!  :dance:

You're supposed to get a ground anchor when you put up a greenhouse btw, 'specially them plastic ones. I tried to construct mine in the last windy spell we had, was quite funny, the windows kept blowing out before I could screw them in!
I got my ground anchor from B&Q, and some metal cord stuff and some bolted fastener things, cost about £15 all in and helps stop the thing lifting (or I hope so anyway!)

Good luck with the peppers though! I'm sure they will recover if they literally haven't snapped in half?

Thanks guys, I've grown strangely attached to that particular plant as it's been with me a while. 

moosery said:
Read the title and thought you'd invented a new delicacy for the fish and chip shops!  :dance:

You're supposed to get a ground anchor when you put up a greenhouse btw, 'specially them plastic ones. I tried to construct mine in the last windy spell we had, was quite funny, the windows kept blowing out before I could screw them in!
I got my ground anchor from B&Q, and some metal cord stuff and some bolted fastener things, cost about £15 all in and helps stop the thing lifting (or I hope so anyway!)

Good luck with the peppers though! I'm sure they will recover if they literally haven't snapped in half?

Ha!!! Yeah I was thinking how that'd taste when I was writing the title  :party:

I've managed to hammer some tent pegs in now, which I should have done from the start. We're getting really sudden gusts out of nowhere here in the south. I'm looking outside now and its perfectly calm for ages, and then suddenly....WHOOOOSH!!!!!

Back