• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BBG7 X PDN

I'm very excited to see if these variations can be stabilized ;)

Yes, I would love to try some too at some point...until then, keep up the good work!

GA Growhead said:
Thanks! That's some cool info. The PDN crosses I have made, have all used PDN pollen. The purple has been dominant in all the F1s. Hopefully I can find the picts of your crosses, if you post them here. Would love to check them out. Sounds like this is going to be a fun year with crosses.

Remember that Red / Purple are dominant colours and will be prevelant in most F1 crosses.. But that F2 generation is where the magic happens....

KrakenPeppers said:

Remember that Red / Purple are dominant colours and will be prevelant in most F1 crosses.. But that F2 generation is where the magic happens....
awesome! I knew red was dominant, but not purple. Thanks for that info! That's in line with my results, so makes sense.
I made a few crosses last year with F1s, with purple leaves, crossed to non purple plants, a few of them also being F1s, and those have given me both green and purple plants. I know there isn't a true dominant gene take over since unstable, but I am really looking forward to seeing which dominant genes from each parent come out in these F1s. One of these four way crosses is actually a 3 way cross, with one parent used as a father on one side of the cross and mother on the other F1. Should be interesting to see how the traits distribute among these plants.

GA Growhead said:
I have two plants making the peach pods. Going to cross the two, for a peach F3. Love the dark caylx against the peach.

Maybe this is my misunderstanding, but I thought an F3 is generated only from a self-pollinated F2? Wouldn't crossing 2 F2s reset the seeds from those F2 pods back to F1?

cloudhand said:

Maybe this is my misunderstanding, but I thought an F3 is generated only from a self-pollinated F2? Wouldn't crossing 2 F2s reset the seeds from those F2 pods back to F1?
Nope. Crossing two F2s still makes a F3. This coming from the chilipepper institute and other documents i have read on the subject.
If you have two like F2s, crossing can narrow down traits, by multiplying common traits. You are not adding any additional genes when doing so. Both plants still have the same genetics from both parents, so it is still considered a F3.
If you cross two unlike F2s, it is also still considered a F3 for the same reason. I have read about crossing two different F2s, each with a trait you want but not common of the two, to force a combination in the F3s of the two traits.
You most likely will not find the exact phenotype you want in the F2s. If you do, be very thankful. Crossing any two in the same generation or back crossing your F2 to one of the parents (which does start over as bx1), may be necessary to find the phenotype desired.
Crossing two peppers and seeing what you get is fun, but working to get what you takes way more work. Example...
Meatfreak sent me a PDF from the CPI about an orange and pumpkin jalapeño pepper they are releasing. Each cross was taken 18 generation, with many interfamily crosses and backcrosses, to solidify the color, the amount of corking, and size/shape. See if you can find that, as it is a neat read.
FROG DOG said:
Those peach variants are so nice!!!!!!!!!! :party:
Thanks! There many cool traits popping up in these. I do have a things for the peach ones myself.

Back