• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Beeg spiders

Jeepers creepers it's that time of the year here in South Africa - the frikkin big spiders come out to pair up.

A local tarantula known as the baboon spider - maybe (just maybe) if you look at the cephalothorax you can see what looks like a baboon's face. Anyways it's super cool to have Harpactira gigas in the garden. This is the second female in as many days.

The other beeg spider we have in the garden and often indoors (they hunt geckos) is the rain spider Palystes castanea. A real shitty surprise when you open the curtains and they on the window :shocked:.

Spring has sprung in Cape Town :dance:

Attachments

• IMG_20230823_130232.jpg
    IMG_20230823_130232.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 115
I don't why I'm getting me knickers in a knot over beeg spiders - I like a big spider, it's the little f*ckers I hate

Exactly! These are awesome. They walk on your hands and are relaxed.

It's effing sac spiders that are the worst. They just bite you when they encounter you. Effing hate those things. I've been bitten three times. Google sac spider bites 🤮

This is a George. We like Georges. They eat the bad bugs. We haven't seen any Georges in a few years for some reason.

george.jpeg

Not quite as big, but I've seen some pretty big ones. (Yes I know what they're really called. Somehow our family got stuck on George)

Back