• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

-Been asked to Hot Talk at elementry school-

Howdy Folks !

I've been asked to be a special guest at my boy's elementry school , to talk about peppers .
Me as a guest speaker ! Never thought that would happen to me , to tell y'all the truth Iam kinda nervous .. Heck ! Never have talked in front of more than 3 or 4 pepole . Reckon I'll go straight to the point ... Need Y'alls help on getting together some fun facts for the kiddos or just real general facts that Iv over looked . The teacher told me everybody is super excited that I grow hotter peppers than the Bhut Jolokia , so I reckon my boy has been spreading the word . Ive already have for them some intresting small seedlings and some mature plants to donate to the school for the veggi garden. Sure hope you guys can help, facts about ...health, record holders , dates
just in general I reckon .

Thank ya much !
-Tex

Good stuff, you will do fine. Just tell them the facts....how you grow them...how you harvest... and the different types.

no problem, your boy will be proud

I'm not a pepper aficionado like most of you folks on this site but i've been working with kids and putting on presentations for different groups for years. Kids are captivated by interactive stuff. I would say hand out surgical gloves to everyone, do the anatomy of a pepper with something mild. They really don't need gloves but they'll get a giant kick out of putting them on and acting like doctors. Maybe you could have them get in groups of 3 or 4 and dissect a mild pepper. you may even have a few daring souls that will want to take a bite of a bell pepper or something similar. then, you can pull out the holy grail (the hottest pepper you have) and wait for the ooooohhhhs and ahhhhhhs. cool experience. Good luck!

Good stuff, you will do fine. Just tell them the facts....how you grow them...how you harvest... and the different types.

no problem, your boy will be proud Thanks armac , it will be fun .

I'm not a pepper aficionado like most of you folks on this site but i've been working with kids and putting on presentations for different groups for years. Kids are captivated by interactive stuff. I would say hand out surgical gloves to everyone, do the anatomy of a pepper with something mild. They really don't need gloves but they'll get a giant kick out of putting them on and acting like doctors. Maybe you could have them get in groups of 3 or 4 and dissect a mild pepper. you may even have a few daring souls that will want to take a bite of a bell pepper or something similar. then, you can pull out the holy grail (the hottest pepper you have) and wait for the ooooohhhhs and ahhhhhhs. cool experience. Good luck!
thank ya sir , really great stuff ... The students will be 3rd , 4th , 5th graders so deff interactive stuff .

Sorry about that armac , my reply some how ended up in yer quote .

Sounds like a cool Idea doc but they kids probably wont be able to cut it themselves. At least when I was in elementary school, we were never allowed to have knives. All we had to use was them crappy safety scissors. So unless you can figure out what they could use to cut it that the school would allow, Tex and/ or teachers would have to cut it and then pass it around.

As for the taste testing. He could have them all try a bell or other sweet pepper as you stated, but the daring ones could try a small diced piece of hot one to experience what those could do. Maybe even have different heat levels to try as well like say poblano, banana, jalapeno and relate them to the scoville scale. This would kinda educate them and help them perceive/understand how hot they can get and not just think of it as a number.

You could buy some plastic knives and paper plates ? im sure the school would be cool with plastic knives... if not... what the f**k has this world come to ?

Chilli's help clear congestion and is a very great source of vitamin C. Chilli's definitely help the symptoms of the flu, help to get rid of it and can even help prevent it :) This is a good one for the kiddies to know. There are also a lot of other help benefits to chilli, rather than me regurgitating them check this site out: http://www.chilli-willy.com/chilli-health-benefits/

Like DocB said: try to keep it as fun and interactive as possible :)

to tell y'all the truth Iam kinda nervous .. Heck ! Never have talked in front of more than 3 or 4 pepole .

I went to a class on speaking publicly, and the trick to confidence is to imagine the audience in their underwear. But since your speaking to kids, that's probably a felony.
To avoid jail time, and deal with your nerves, just give them all a little piece of a 7 pod Brown, and you won't have the say a word for 15 minutes or so.

Whatever you do, don't do this:

COOL! You'll do fine~~~ I've made salsa with kids 4 times, and they will surprise you with who will want to eat the hot chiles. At our school, the 5th/6th grade kids used steak/paring knives, and the 3rd/4th kids used mildly serrated table knives.

Great ideas so far. My suggestions would be-
-bring the nice assortment of chiles, with enough so the kids can divide into small groups and each group can do a jalapeno(or other milder one) and a habanero.
-Start with a little talking about Scoville, have a chart (include some hot sauces on the chart as well. Here's a good one. Not copy-pasteable, but it has sauces and chiles)
-Ask "what makes chiles so hot, where's the heat in the chile" (they'll say the seeds of course... :lol: )
-hold up a pasilla and a hab...which is hotter?
-Cut open a hot one and point out the oil
-I don't know what chiles you have to work with...or how many kids will be in the class...but if you can cut open a jalapeno, a fatalii and a chocolate-something, then have them smell the chiles. I bet they've never even thought about the smell of a chile.
-talk about growing, so easy, like tomatoes....

Have the kids divide up and cut their chiles, taste if they want, (the paper goods and gloves are great suggestions)
(OH! Better have some sugar with you for those who get a little too much...) You know that kids in a groups will one-up ;)

Then cut up some of your hots.....there will be kids want to try them~

HAVE FUN!

Funny Story- one salsa day we did with the 6th graders was in the winter. We had one bowl with 2 habs in about 2 cups of pico de gallo. ALL the boys tried it, and it was HOT...the classroom had an outside door, so the boys were running outside, grabbing fistfuls of snow, coming back in, eating more, back outside....:lol:

I am not sure if i would let kids eat hots personally, i know when i was a kid my brother wiped sum hot fresh chilli on my mouth and i blistered up.

That's a bummer, Bento.

My experience with the kids is they will only eat as hot as they want. When we did the salsa in the class with 25 kids, everyone tasted the mild salsas and a lot of kids commented that they "didn't used to like salsa, but now they do." participating in the process was critical to them trying the things they made. Some kids are exposed to really hot foods at home so they have no issues with eating hotter chiles. As long as they understand that what they will be tasting is REALLY hot...I let them make the call.

You may want to get permission slips for tasting, and only bring commercial hot sauces for liability purposes. Fresh peppers = your product, commercial = a consumer product. Then, explain the process, from growing, to bottling. Let them taste dots of hot sauce, in incremental levels. Just an idea.

Remember Tex, even in the Valley, not everybody eats superhots....jalapenos..yes......morugas.....not so much.

You will be fantastic.

Wow ! got busy a few hours , and to find all this tip is great you guys .
Thanks THP, exactly what I was thinking .
Thanks SalsaLady, really likeing yer Idea.
Thanks Naga Chomper, funny stuff man .
Thanks Balac , great info on that link .
Thanks griff , I will for sure use the scoville .
Thanks Bento , on the health benefits .
Thanks armac , yer very right not all valley pepole will fancy moruga heat .

Thank ya much !

Rock On, Tex!!!! when will it all go down? I'd like to hear how it goes~

Prob thursday o friday of this coming week , Iam pretty excited to sit down with the teacher on monday , to find out how much time I'll get and do's and dont's .

I deff let ya now how it all went , salsalady

++++1 to ^ MikeDaMan!!!

Tex I bet they have pull down maps! The kids need to know about how the Spaniards came to the Americas and dug the peppers so much they spread them around the world. The children of today need to be exposed to geography. Do it for the kids! All of the other suggestions are great too.

Back