Beer Here

tctenten said:
Thanks. Seems like if I start the starter on friday night... It should be in the sweet spot to brew sunday morning. Either way... Sounds like it will be brtter than pitching the dry yeast.

Saturday morning.

24 hr, not 48 IMHO ...

Yep. At 24hrs mine would shoot out the top if I swirled it too much and I haven't even made a stir plate yet. I just swirl it around when I walk by it.
I've read conflicting info on making a starter on dry yeast. Some companies add nutrients to the packets and you can actually stall it by making a starter as opposed to just rehydrating it.

The 6 hr stir version from Miyagi stout was probably a little under ...

The 30 hr stir version from Red-Eye was probably a little over ...

I think 12-18 is the sweet spot ... and plan to set one up in the late afternoon/early evening the day before I plan to use it, generally speaking ...

Which, if you think about it, maps back to what Wheebz originally described ...

He'd make one in the afternoon, and pitch it the next day ... I have a feeling that's in the 18-20 hr range, which should be the sweet spot ...

I am not the most patient person. Should I try some of the beer now? It could also act as a midweek burp. It is in the swing-tops so I can just close it up and let it continue to do it's thing.

tctenten said:
I am not the most patient person. Should I try some of the beer now? It could also act as a midweek burp. It is in the swing-tops so I can just close it up and let it continue to do it's thing.

In the shower, or on the deck, using something to protect your hands ...

Although if it's been at fridge temp, it might be no big deal ...

If it were at room temp, you'd have beer-geyser ...

I wouldn't be able to wait, either ...

Open it up, take a swig, experience it change ... fukitol.

It's all good.

That's what I am thinking. It certainly isn't going to be a masterpiece. Be back in a few with a pic and thoughts.
image.jpeg

Somewhat excited. No bottle bombs.. No geyser action.

Interested in seeing how it changes... If it changer over the next 10 days.

If it was a blind taste- test, I would know it was beer. There is a flavor I cannot quite figure out, but it seemed like I was drinking 3/4 beer mixed with 1/4 champagne. Not that I know what that tastes like.

It's beer.

As for flavor being off or whatever ... you can expect that beer from a recipe, made with grains and yeast and hops ordered from a place that's dedicated to brewer's, will be better ...

It's appropriate to not expect too much from a kit where you don't know how old the stuff is ...  or for how long the grains have been pre-milled ...

:cheers:

When you taste one early, its nothing like when it has fully carbed. I think it's the priming sugar for one. If you can hold off on the others (I know it's hard), they will tast way different once they have had 2-3 weeks.

RocketMan said:
As the old saying goes, Time heals all wounds  beers too, well most all beers. It's not going to help a really skunky, light damaged one. I have had beers I made that I thought weren't very good had improved after about a month on the shelf.
Totally agree. The dark chocolate stout I made is like that. I had a couple of them 2 weeks after bottling and they were good upfront but had an unpleasant after taste. I just tried a couple more this past weekend (4 weeks after bottling) and they were much better. I put 2 more in the fridge last night and I will probably give them a shot and see how they are.
The DIPA that I bottled at the same time has been great from the first tasting. I'm actually down to my last 15 of those . Good thing I have more fermenting now .

Ozzy2001 said:
When you taste one early, its nothing like when it has fully carbed. I think it's the priming sugar for one. If you can hold off on the others (I know it's hard), they will tast way different once they have had 2-3 weeks.

RocketMan said:
As the old saying goes, Time heals all wounds  beers too, well most all beers. It's not going to help a really skunky, light damaged one. I have had beers I made that I thought weren't very good had improved after about a month on the shelf.

Good to know.  I will not touch them the rest of the way.  

That's great Ozzy, I've also noticed that the temperature that it's served at will also play with the flavor of the brew. There are some that are meant to be served colder, Lagers and such where as some Ales but mostly I've noticed it with the darker ones, Porters and Stouts are so much better when served at what I'd call Celler (not warm but not ice cold like most Americans like their beer) temperature.

IMG_6149.jpg

Rocketman's Mead

3lbs of honey
1 gallon water
1 orange
15 raisins

I rehydrated 1/2 pack of US-05 in 1 cup of water & 1/4 cup of yeast nutrient and let sit for 20 minutes.

In the mini bubbler the honey, water, orange and raisin were shaken until there were no visible signs of honey sticking to the bottom of the bubbler.

Gravity reading came in at 1.091

Yeast mixture was pitched and swirled the mixture a little bit.

Now we wait….and wait…and wait.  Thinking I may try to have this ready for christmas.   

grantmichaels said:
Look up SNA (staggered nutrient additions) ...

The only mental note I've made for if I ever look into mead is that ...

Will do….just doing some prep work for Dinner pizza.  Waiting on some clarification from the boss on the dessert category.  There was a nice chapter on the mead making in Speed Brewing.

Back