Beer Reviews

I did a review of this for The Hot Zone Online and am coping it here...once again...for your viewing pleasure!

Matthew Wood (cheezydemon) sent me one of his home brewed beers for review purposes just recently and now comes the time to do it. This specialty American Pale Ale has a nice little treat to it, it has two different types of roasted peppers in it!!!

Matthew Wood’s Habanero Ale Ingredients: 8 lbs of pale 2 row, 2 pounds of Belgian Pilsen, 1 oz Cascade Hops, 1 oz Bullion hops, 6 orange Habaneros/ripe/roasted , 1 Guajillo/green/roasted, White Labs "Irish ale" yeast.

Let me tell you, this is one cloudy beer. Its appearance is reminiscing of most hefeweizens that I’ve had and the taste comes close to matching that style as well. But before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s continue with the appearance. It’s golden in color and pours to a very small head that dissipates quickly.

Now, we take a sip. A slight bitterness appears which is expected of APA’s but the main flavor is lemon/citrus (also a characteristic of hef’s…hefeweizens that is, not Hugh Heffner). Unfortunately this has an overwhelming citrus flavor that detracts from the slight hop taste. It actually reminds me of the fresh lemons that I used to get out of the lemon tree in my backyard in Los Angeles (to be more specific, it was a Lemorange tree…lemon orange hybrid that was primarily lemon).

The beer tastes surprisingly fresh but the thing that makes this beer, for me, is the heat. He mainly used Habaneros and boy does it show. Right from the first taste I new that this was a “sipping beer”. You don’t slam this for fear of blowing out your tongue. The heat is right up front and fades fairly quickly but at the same time builds with every sip. This is officially the hottest beer I’ve had to date.

What really starts to get you is the lip burn. Now, even with a wings slathered in sauce, I make it a point to try to get the sauce on my tongue and not my lips. This is a trick of the trade that I’ve had to train myself so that I can now unconsciously do it to avoid that section of burn. With this beer, you can’t do it, you just can’t avoid getting it on your lips. There in lies the fun burn. I love the back of the throat and front of the tongue burn that beer provides but the cue de graw is the lip burn. Extremely intense.

Unfortunately on the beer side of things, I would say the recipe needs some tweaking. Introduce some more prominent flavors, reduce the citrus taste and it will be a really good home brew. But when it comes to the peppers….wow. A+, spot on!

Taste: 5.4, Heat: 10 (for a beer)

Viva Belgian beer!!

Let me put in a plug for one of my faves, and it's not a chile beer. Linda and I lived in Belgium for just under a year's worth of time from 1999-2000, and we had a chance to try several dozen of their 760+ varieties that are made in Belgium alone. This one has ranked at, or near, the top ever since:

rodenbach.jpg

If you've not tried some of the Flemish sour red ales, you're missing a treat. It's both a little sweet and sour, and drinkable with just about any meal. Lots of fruit overtones in it, but not so sweet that you'd think of it for dessert. It's very smooth and full-bodied. One of our local beer boutiques now carries this beer, plus their Grand Cru as well. If I only had a small selection of beers to choose from for the rest of my existence, this would certainly be one of them.

- Joe

imaguitargod said:
What really starts to get you is the lip burn. Now, even with a wings slathered in sauce, I make it a point to try to get the sauce on my tongue and not my lips. This is a trick of the trade that I’ve had to train myself so that I can now unconsciously do it to avoid that section of burn. With this beer, you can’t do it, you just can’t avoid getting it on your lips. There in lies the fun burn. I love the back of the throat and front of the tongue burn that beer provides but the cue de graw is the lip burn. Extremely intense.

Yup, when I've concocted my homemade spicy beers I tend to use a straw as my lips get chapped easily. Add habs on there, and I look like some kinda Botox patient. :)

Nice review btw!

-Q

I saw the review of Rodenbach Grand Cru, and I agree that the beer is great. Some of my favorites come from Belgium because of the amazing and unconventional techniques they use there compared to other places. Does anyone like lambics from Cantillon or Hanssens? Those beers are amazing, but they are not easy drinkers, and they are not for the uninitiated to say the least.

I also saw someone comment on Unibroue. My consistent favorite of theirs is La Fin Du Monde, and one of their editions of La Terrible was fantastic. I notice that most of their recipes contain some sort of trademark spice mixture, and I am not a big fan of that. I do think that they produce interesting beer, though.

Also remember that the yeast in unfiltered beer for bottle conditioning does not contribute to the strength of beer over time; it metabolizes a small amount of sugar to carbonate the beer in the bottle. If there was enough fermentable sugar in the bottle to increase the strength of the beer, you would have "bottle grenades" because you cannot have increased alcohol without the production of CO2. One of the added benefits of bottle conditioned beer is that it may age better, and have a longer shelf life, than filtered beer.

Steve, I also love the Grand Cru, and i just bought my brother a 4 pack of the La Fin Du Monde, or "The end of the world" in English.

Both are a great drop...

Last night I had a bottle of Fullers 'Organic Honey Dew' Ale.

It was a 5% light flavored ale, with a hint of honey once the brew warmed slighty.

It would be a very nice easy drinking summer ale, with no major malt or hop flavors to slow the drinking process.

I like this beer but was a little disapointed with the lack of real flavor, with only hints of certain flavours coming through.

All in all i wouldn't get it again..

I recently had probably the best stout I've ever had in my life. It's Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil aged in barrels, but they name it "Ola Dubh". It was so smooth and so flavorful! They have Special Reserve 12, 16, and 30. They age the beer in casks used to age whiskey for that amount of time. Of course, the *beer* is not aged for that amount of time. ;) It's definitely the best stout that I have ever had the pleasure to drink!

Have a look at the web page for the beer here:

http://www.harviestoun.com/OlaDubh/

Steve973 said:
I recently had probably the best stout I've ever had in my life. It's Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil aged in barrels, but they name it "Ola Dubh". It was so smooth and so flavorful! They have Special Reserve 12, 16, and 30. They age the beer in casks used to age whiskey for that amount of time. Of course, the *beer* is not aged for that amount of time. ;) It's definitely the best stout that I have ever had the pleasure to drink!

I.G another Stout Drinker your in good company..When where sober

lol-013.gif

Steve973 said:

Old Engine Oil is one of my faves...too bad it's so damn hard to find here(and expensive as all hell too!)

Green Flash's BARLEYWINE

A vintage American-style barleywine

img1745bq4.jpg

This is a big, great tasting beer. Lots of malt all over the place but balanced by some strong hop presence that Green Flash is known for. A sweet, ester filled aroma. Robust taste. Creamy mouthfeel. This is a barleywine for men. Vikings would drink ths from a horn. Intoxicating alcohol but not overwhelming.

damn good beer. Need more. :hell:

Ratebeer.com is an excellent way to keep a record of your beer tastings...

dreamboat
[ Edit my info ]
Brisbane, Australia

Beer Ratings: 186
Place Ratings: 0
Average Score: 3.1
My Average: 2.89

dreamboat

McQuire's "I'll Have What The Gentleman On The Floor Is Having" is my favorite. The only b*tch is it's made by a brewpub in Pensacola.....so it's not exactly easy to find close by here. Just a measly 5 and a half hour drive from here.

Back