• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath's Glog 2014---There are many like it, but this one is mine

Lets start with a list heres mine....in no particular order 

Peppers---
Barrackpore
Yellow pointed pepper
Golden Habanero
Heart Throb Pepper
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper
Santa Fe
Inca Lost
Antillias Caribbean Habanero
Large Thick Cayenne
Cayenne Chili
Scotch Bonnet---Yellow & Red
Caribbean Red Habanero
Goldfinger
Fatalli---Yellow & Red
Datil
Manzano--Red
Aji Limo
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Red
Peter Pepper--Red
Aji Lemon Drop
Rooster Spur
Scorpion Tounge
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Devils Tounge--Yellow
White Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion---Yellow
Bhut Jolokia--Red/Yellow/Peach
Carolina Reaper
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo Pepper
Barker Numex
Brain Strain---yellow
Hot Cherry Pepper
Black Pearl
Planted/Added 1/11
Yellow Bullet Habanero
Aji Amarillo
Hot Banana-----was really hoping for this one
Birgits Locoto
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Chile Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion---Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia--Chocolate
Aribibi Gusano/Red Bhut Cross (F2)
Giant White Habanero
Giant Jalapeno
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Yellow

Tomatoes---
Health Kick Tomato
San Marzano Tomato
Goliath Tomato
Juliet Tomato
Believe it or not Tomato
Red Pear Tomato
Planted/Added 1/11
Brandywine Tomato
Marianna's Peace Tomato
MoneyMaker Tomato
Sweet Million Tomato
Zinfandel Tomato
Yellow Plum Tomato
Black Krim

Berries---started on 12/29
Loganberry
Black Rasberry

Thanks to the great people here on THP for your donations to a noob----

Sicman---
Barrackpore
(and Okra Later)

BSPH---
Red Fatalli
Yellow Devil
White Hab
Yellow Scorpion
red/peach/yellow Bhut
Carolina Reaper

Neoguy---
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo

Flchilehead---
Barker Numex
Yellow Brain Strain

Djinn---
Mystery seeds

MS1476---
Jalapeno
Hot Cherry
Yellow 7 Pot
While Bullet Hab
Black Pearl

Hendrix1326---
Yellow Bullet Hab
Aji Amarillo
Banana Hot
Cherry Hot
Bhut Jolokia---Red, Peach
Birgits Locoto
Brazilian Starfish
Hot Lemon Drop
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Pequin

All other seeds came from Tradewinds seeds. Kinda stingey with their seeds but I did have close to 100% germ rate last year from them. I will be saving alot of seeds this year and plan to pay it forward in a big way. One more BIG thanks for the help on the seeds. I will edit this list as time progresses to add veggies and more berries.

Got all except those on waiting list above, planted last night, used three 50 cell trays, 3 seeds per cell. For the soil, I used three 12 QT Organic Jiffy potting mix, one 8 QT vermiculite,one 8 QT bag of Perlite and a handful of Mycos mycorrhizal inocculant. I have noticed alot on here have used coffee grounds for nitrogen and egg shells for calcuim, I may do that when i transplant. To be honest this is the first year i havent just gone and picked up some potting soil and planted my seeds.  Always have come up just fine. Curse this forum for teaching me stuff. Heat mats are another thing, I know alot of people on here use them, and i was going back and forth on whether to buy. In the end i went of past experiances, never used them in the past so this year i will not use them either.  Here is a couple facinating pics

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

A Short Back Story---
Been growing gardens for as long as I can remember. Usually always start my own from seeds. Until last year the peppers that took up space in my garden were the oh so common Jalapeno, Serrano, bell, banana and Santa fe. We have always been big on tomatoes and cucumbers taking up the majority of our limited grow space. Usually only have enough space for about 10-15 plants. I can alot of pickles and peppers every year.  Last year I thought I would try my hand at growing a few superhots and exotics. I found tradewinds seeds and bought some

Red Habaneros
Red Bhut Jolokias
Scotch Bonnets
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Scorpion Tounge

My season last year was probably the worst and shortest I have had in a very long time.  I generally always start my seeds in Feb and plant outside May 1. Last year we were working on moving and I didnt get them in the ground until June 1 when we found a place to rent temporarily. The plants did okay but it was new a new place, new ground, and area was more shaded than I had hoped.  All plants produced great pods but getting them to ripen was a different story, I was afraid it was not going to happen. Then the floods came, rain, rain, rain.  There were people that were way worse off than myself during last years flooding, we did ok and were not asked to evacuate or nothin. The plants were not so happy, they started to fall over from so much ground saturation and i think started getting the root rot?. The tomatoes began bursting. All in all I only ended up with a handful of actual ripe pods. I have never tried fresh superhots before. I have always been a chilihead just not a chiligrower per se.  I can say from first bite i was hooked, the smell was something else too. I could smell that all day. My wife or kids did not agree. As you can see I have not tried ALOT of the peppers that I have planted. I have read alot of info on here and built my list accordingly. I have since moved again, I now have more than enough grow room to grow as many peppers as I want, and I plan to do just that.

Thanks for stopping by, stay tuned...and feel free to comment

Edit: Updated to delete varieties that didnt germinate

The way I intend to do my cover crop is get the Crimson Clover established and the add the rye. Here the rye will quickly over run the clover if both are planted at the same time. I plan on going pretty heavy with the clover, once it's 3-4 inches tall hit it with the rye. I plant next weekend, or maybe sooner as I think we have winds coming Friday. In which case I'll seed, water and then use the 4 wheeler to compress the soil so it doesn't blow away.

Don't know if you have the time before cold weather to do what I'm planning. Winter Wheat may be an option too.

Hey Jason,

I havent got the cover cop in just yet. I got a load of about 20 yards of horse manure about two weeks ago. It took me about a week to get it all into the garden....1 wheelbarrow at a time. Spread evenly and tried to level the west side so water doesnt keep draining to that side. Got it all done and was given some leaves from catherinew to add to the garden too. Started tilling and got about half way done took a break and havent been able to get the tiller goin since. I think its a simple fix but have been busy with kids birthday parties this past weekend and been raining alot so the garden hasnt got a chance to dry out a bit before I fire the tiller back up. Hopefully finish with tilling this weekend and plant the cover crop.

Here is a pic of the wheelbarrow loads in the garden...
WP_20140920_10_13_08_Pro.jpg

Damn man that is some serious work there. I know its even more work but maybe a trench or berm to avert the run off? Your well on your way with all that work going in for next year.

I'm watching the wx forecast closely and trying to decide when to pull the plug on mine. I got the tiller from a friend but noticed a chunk missing from 1 of the belts so I ordered that yesterday and it should be here tomorrow so they said. I kinda hope temps don't go up so I can just go ahead and do it but want to leave them in to ripen if the temps to go up next week. Received the last bag for the mkx (hairy vetch) yesterday so that's all ready to go.

Just hard to bring myself to getting rid of this.
20141002_083659.jpg

It sure was alot of work but glad I was able to get it all moved. The other night it rained all night, and I didnt notice any pooling in the garden. The fact that its near level now and the better soil to absorb the moisture has shown a big improvement from start of season.

I dont blame you holding off on pulling the plants if you can do it. I keep thinking that I'm getting my winter crop in late but so long as I get it in within the next few weeks I think it'll be okay. 

Diggin the "jungle" shot!!

Just a ton of work there Anthony! And I know how you feel ;)

Don't know how much you know about engines, so excuse me. Check the spark plug, it could be carbon fouled, wouldn't hurt to keep an extra on hand if you don't have a spark plug sand blaster. Can always pull the air filter and prime the carb, just a tiny amount. If it starts and dies, you know to look at the fuel delivery.

Can't wait to see the results!

Devv said:
Just a ton of work there Anthony! And I know how you feel ;)

Don't know how much you know about engines, so excuse me. Check the spark plug, it could be carbon fouled, wouldn't hurt to keep an extra on hand if you don't have a spark plug sand blaster. Can always pull the air filter and prime the carb, just a tiny amount. If it starts and dies, you know to look at the fuel delivery.

Can't wait to see the results!
It was alot of work and I think the neighbors were looking at me weird when a dump truck came and dumped 20 yards, then theres me with my wheelbarrow, little by little.....lol. I actually ended up using all but a few yards, plan to get some spread around the new grapes, the rest ill just throw around the property to decompose.
Anyways, thanks for the kind words and for the advice, and no excuses needed, i get most my engine troubleshooting skills from google. Probably should be a little better than I am but just know the basics...how to change stuff. I was thinking spark plug but just cause i assued it had never been changed so i thought id change that and pick up some starter fluid for the weekend. I had this problem the first time I ran it after I changed the gasket on the carb bowl when running it was good but turned it off and no go but it started right up after i let it sit a day?

Been there, done that with a wheelbarrow, more than I care to mention. My son and wife came to me around my B-Day 7 or 8 years ago and said it's time for a tractor. Tim works for John Deere, who was I to argue? It's a good thing to have, I got mine at around 48-49 years old. It sure saves on my back ;)

About the not starting and starting a day later. Today's fuel, frankly it sucks, and small engines hate it, especially older ones. There's a test for measuring fuel. The result is Reid Vapor Pressure. If you take a sample of a controlled size and put it in a measurement container and start the process at a specific temperature, I believe 70° is the starting temp and then heat it to say 100°. You then measure the pressure. Back in the day the rating was 14, they call this end result fuel volatility. Now we're in the 7-9 range depending on the temps. The idea is the higher the value, the faster the fuel turns from liquid to vapor. So to help with evaporative emissions they lowered the numbers. This means the fuel is harder to ignite, especially when cold. Sometimes my 14-15 year old mower, just cranks and cranks. And then I smell fuel, it flooded without a cough :mope: I then give it full throttle versus half and it eventually starts (choke now off).

When I was 14 and started my first real job at a rental place as a mechanic, the owner told me an engine needs 3 main things to run. Compression, fuel, and spark. That information has served me well.

Be careful with starting fluid. Use in very small amounts ;)

Scott,

Thanks again for the tips. I agree that todays fuel is probably not like it was back in the day. Working in a refinery I believe tighter ristrictions on emisions and new rules passed down by the EPA has alot to do with it. We are constantly having to conform to new rules/regs.

So good news, I was able to get the garden completed this weekend. Got the seed spread, packed and watered. Whats that, you want to know what was wrong with the tiller? Well..............ok, we all need a laugh every now and again. So, after changing the spark plug shooting way more starting fluid than what is recommended into it, and pulling the cord till my arm was a noodle. I stoped, thought, looked around, and voila, there is my problem. You see what i failed to mention before is the last time my tiller quit working was I stoped to take a break and the belt housing was broke, the vibration from the tiller had caused it to break at one end and it was rattling and about to fall off. I removed the case and set it aside to fix later. So all this time im trying to start the tiller without that housing. Got me thinking, I bet there is a saftey switch somewhere, and yup there was, pushed it down gave it another pull and started immediatly. I guess theres just some things google cant teach. :D Live and learn i guess.

belt casing
1.jpg

pic doesnt show crack very well so red line shows where crack is
2.jpg

safety swich
3.jpg

Garden all tilled
4.jpg

seed
5.jpg

6.jpg

seed spread and ran over with mower to pack down before watering
7.jpg

wanted to drop a few pics in here and let all know things are going well with winter cover crop. I had my doubts on whether i would get a good germ rate in the not so composted horse manure but to my surprize it is growing very well. Havent seen any vetch yet but sounds like that is ok...for now.

here is what the garden looked one week after sowing seeds
1.jpg

2.jpg

and two weeks (last weekend)
3.jpg

4.jpg

Want to also say thanks all of you for walking me through this and helping me get this going. BIG hopes for next season!!

Looking great!

I hope you get a nice thick cover before the cold hits ;)

Your Rye looks different than mine, much wider leaves. Mine is really fine until it gets about 6"s tall...

I was thinking about getting some rye seeds the other day, kind of a coincidence.  It did really well here a few years ago and we made some awesome grain flour from it. 

This reminds me that I've been neglecting my glog.  I'm kind of ashamed at my grow season this year XD.

Devv said:
Looking great!

I hope you get a nice thick cover before the cold hits ;)

Your Rye looks different than mine, much wider leaves. Mine is really fine until it gets about 6"s tall...
Hey Scott,

Its seems to be taking off really well. We have been fortunate so far with the weather around 70-high 70's in day and low 40's at night. Been hittin with the sprikler bout twice a week and all seems well. Dont see any of the vetch coming up yet. Bout how long does it take to germ??

ikeepfish said:
I was thinking about getting some rye seeds the other day, kind of a coincidence.  It did really well here a few years ago and we made some awesome grain flour from it. 

This reminds me that I've been neglecting my glog.  I'm kind of ashamed at my grow season this year XD.
Hey Rich,

Hadnt even thought about making flour from the rye but what a great idea, may have to dig into that one. Hows the aquaponics doing, have alot of catching up to do on my glog reading, work has kept me very busy this past month :(.

Cheers fellas!!

I've never grown the vetch, but will try it next year. I would have though it would be up and running with the Rye. I water every day until they come up, and then slack off some. But it's been 85-90° here still, sigh... :confused:

Looking good Anthony. Sorry I haven't been around. Still working out of town. The garden prep looks great. Can't wait to follow next years Glog. Have a happy thanksgivings.

Chuck

Back