• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Bees in the Trees. What to do?

My neighbor, who is deathly allergic to bees, called me over to take care of her bee problem. She said she saw the swarm yesterday outside her window, and now this. She wants to remove it, but I really want to keep them as they're great for my plants, obviously. I had a bee problem in my roof once and built a bee vacuum box and a bee hive, but I literally just threw it away two weekends ago when I did a bulk trash pickup. Any suggestions as to what to do to keep them and move them into my yard? I have my wet/dry vac that I just put a screen over the motor so they wouldn't be harmed, but don't know what to do after they're in the vac. Anyone with experience and suggestions? 

She called someone and the said it's a temporary swarm and will move in 24 hours if it doesn't rain. 

20150928_111857.jpg

She is too afraid to leave them because of her allergy. I have a friend on an island across from me who has a swarm of bees that made residency in a overturned bucket. I was thinking: smoke em, vacuum em, put their current hive in a cooler with the lid propped open a crack and then release them into the cooler and see what happens

Yep, probably bee gone soon (rim shot). Swarms are cool. I'm no bee expert, but believe this happens whenever a healthy hive spawns a new queen. A bunch of bees, along with the new queen, take off in search of a new home - often swarming to several test locations first. Although it looks scary, swarming honey bees are said to be in a docile mode.

i'd like to iterate i want to keep the bees for pollination purposes, not for beekeeping and honey. I'd just let them bee, but she can't have them on her tree so was going to move the hive

They'll be gone before anything happens to them ...

She should sit inside on her hands.

And not get in a car, or touch anything, or breathe unfiltered air ...

Self-resolving problem.

If you no longer have a hive body I don't think you will be able to keep them in your yard. I would google local beekeepers in the area. To move the swarm you would need protective clothing. They are pretty docile in a swarm but it's best to be careful. When I get swarms I just gently scoop the bees into a lidded box, when you get the queen they will all follow into the box or wherever you take her. I then have a hive body all ready and gently dump the bees into their new home. If the bees are too high up a beekeeper can use an attractant to try to get them into a hive body. It's best to contact a beekeeper, they will know what to do. They just might be able to sell you a hive body and get you started by helping to get the swarm. They won't stay there long---

fiogga said:
If you no longer have a hive body I don't think you will be able to keep them in your yard. 
I was just going to move the present comb thing into the cooler with the lid propped up an half inch. think they wouldn't like that?

Too bad for your neighbor. I've always felt peaceful around bees. Here in my area little bees to large ground hornets are free to live.

If its a swarm there is no comb. Please just leave them alone, they are just passing through. Otherwise you may just piss them off and your neighbor will have something to worry about. 

BigB,

Please don't put them in a cooler!!! CALL A BEEKEEPER, they won't do well in a cooler. A beekeeper will probably loan you some equipment till you can get a hive body, call a beekeeper, please.

Geonerd said:
Call Queequeg152's pest removal service!  ;)

Bee_be_gone.jpg

Better yet, do NOTHING (other than dose the neighbor with a few valium pills.)
They should be on their way to a new home within a day or two. 
:rofl:  :rofl:

queequeg152 said:
You don't even need the second one. Blast them with the water gun and they'll think it rains, so they'll go someplace else.

Edit: Tell the neighborhood first though.

It is just a swarm that has generated another queen and she has split with a portion of the existing hive before the current queen can kill her. Leave them lone and they will leave you alone. They will remain in the tree only as long as it takes for the scouts find a new location for a hive.

Back