• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beginner needs help in growing pepper plants

This is my first time growing pepper plants. I planted the seed a month ago and have a 2" plant still with the false leaves... am I on schedule? ALSO- how much light should I give the plants?

how much light should I give the plants?

As much as you can afford. Indoors, you can't provide the intensity of the sun, even with the most powerful lights.

Introduce the plants to the lights slowly though so you don't scorch the leaves.

Sounds about right. These are mine that I planted on or about February 15th. The cotyledons (false leaves) are the plant's main engine for photosynthesis. They main seem a little slow right now, but once the second or third set of true leaves show up, expect them to really take off. At that point, it should be warm enough outside to have them hardened off and ready for full morning/early afternoon sun.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37635-experiment/page__st__20

What type of pepper? The hotter the pepper, the slower the grow in less than perfect, laboratory-like conditions. They'll take as much light as you can give them. The more, the better. I pretty much just go the natural growing route without artificially created environments, so I don't have much experience with lighting and greenhouses and what-not, but I have seen lots of people on this forum say that 18 hrs a day is optimal.

Pepper plants also like warm soil... 80-85 degrees. The warmer temps promote better rooting. Good luck with the grow!

I am still tweaking things. The experiment is on a 36" X 18" X 5 shelf unit. So it's four 16" shelves plus the top. The whole thing can hold 200 plants, which is my intention over the next month.

It's in a room that's 70 degrees. I have a 22 watt energy/100 watt output CFL bulbs on them. I think ideally, I would like to buy a flourescent fixture for them that uses 22 X 2 watts of energy... am I on the right track, or do they need 10 times as much light?

ALSO!! From seed on Feb 1st, how big will the plant be in September with how many peppers on it? I know "depends" but I really need some numbers or good guesses as I have no clue and blindly guess 10-12.

Well are you planning on putting them outside? If not you will probably have none due to poor lighting. Remember the sun is always more intense so the more you try to grow the more lighting you will need. Also wrap foil around the set-up so that no lighting is lost and when did they sprout? All you list is when you planted them

I am still tweaking things. The experiment is on a 36" X 18" X 5 shelf unit. So it's four 16" shelves plus the top. The whole thing can hold 200 plants, which is my intention over the next month.

It's in a room that's 70 degrees. I have a 22 watt energy/100 watt output CFL bulbs on them. I think ideally, I would like to buy a flourescent fixture for them that uses 22 X 2 watts of energy... am I on the right track, or do they need 10 times as much light?

ALSO!! From seed on Feb 1st, how big will the plant be in September with how many peppers on it? I know "depends" but I really need some numbers or good guesses as I have no clue and blindly guess 10-12.

just to get this straight, you have (2) 22 watt bulbs on each shelf?? That doesn't seem like enough light for 4.5 sq ft. I would double that at least.

There is no way possible to guess how many pods you'll have on a plant six months from now. You could have none to a few hundred. Pepper plants will produce year around in the right conditions. Too many variables to even guess. If you go with CFL's the more the merrier and you'll want them as physically close to the plants as possible. Or you can spend some money and go with T5's, T8's, high pressure sodium, metal halide, combinations, LED's. Each type requires different placement.

I've grown them with the cheap $10 Walmart 2" florescent Gro lights to HO T5's. Do some research and choose the ones that will get you to where you want to go. If they're going outside you'll do fine with the cheap florescent ones or if you want to keep them indoors you'll need to spend some money to get good lights. The hardest thing to get inside plants to do is produce pods as that requires a lot of good light.

Agreed.... you might wanna stick them outside as soon as the weather gets warm enough where you are, providing you have the space.

This is my first time growing pepper plants. I planted the seed a month ago and have a 2" plant still with the false leaves... am I on schedule? ALSO- how much light should I give the plants?

So, by the sound of it, you have one plant so far, since you're assuming # of peppers in the tens.... If you put it outside where it can get some sun, breeze, and friendly insects to help with pollination, you increase your chances. Second, the variety of pepper will also help determine how many peppers you get from one plant. I've gotten 100+ pods from one habanero plant.

My best advice to you, being your first grow, is to keep it as simple as possible. Think of how the trees and flowers grow. When you see signs of spring out your window like flowers popping and the grass starting to grow again to the point of needing mowing, it's time to move it out there and let it do its thing. Nature is a perfect machine. Everything was designed to work together flawlessly in nature. I try to stay out of nature's way as much as I can when it comes to peppers, but I'm blessed with a warmer southern environment.

Plants can vary in size... anywhere from 2 feet to six+ feet. They'll stay smaller contained in pots. But again, that's depending on the pepper. If you plan on growing 200 plants on your shelf unit, you'll want to have a plan on where you're going to move them once they outgrow the shelves.

Hmmm.
My hillbilly hydro has 8 of the twisties, and it's barely enough.
The current seedlings are under a 6 tube T5HO, and seems to be just about right.
And the bulbs are no more than about 3" from the tops.

Problem with using minimal lights is that they will grow weak and leggy. When you try to put them outside the sun burns them and the breeze breaks them.
If you have your shelving unit in front of a southern facing window, you can get by with almost no supplemental lights, but a fan to strengthen the stems in a big plus.

If no southern exposure, and depending on lights, ditch the shelves and go flat.
Doesn't really need more than some plywood and cinder blocks for on the cheap.

200 plants in 3.5" containers, I wouldn't go less than 4 of 2 tube, 4 foot cheap shop lights with daylight (cool white) bulbs. Some recommend "warm white", but to each their own.

Of course, you can go bonkers with lights, pots, special medium, and play classical music while talking to them, but for first try, cheap is best.

How big/how many peppers?
Not a clue.
The factors are endless.
Bugs, wind, hail, dogs pi$$ing on them, pepper thieves, and the variety are just a few factors.

One deterrent I have is that I am in Pennsylvania and it's cold here up in the mountains. I know what I want to get out of it- I want a grow shelf with plants that are ready to be sold or planted outside.

What gave me the original idea was an eBay auction with this image:

moruga3_zps7d678f30.jpg

Apparently this guy is growing indoors with flourescent bulbs and he has them in 3-4" pots. And he's selling them for $10.99 each!

I would like to have an indoor grow room that can make plants like that eBay auction that I can either sell or grow to maturity. And dammit- the only part I don't like is having to kill the plants come October. And BTW I am planning on putting them into 5 gallon buckets half filled with good dirt.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]And dammit- the only part I don't like is having to kill the plants come October.[/background]

Who said you have to????? Especially if they are in 5 gallon buckets.

Just bring them inside and put them under strong lights to keep them growing or much dimmer lights to keep them dormant during the cold months.

I have several plants from last year that are still alive and so do many other forum members.

Just a caution though, growing full size plants indoors will take a substantial investment in both lighting and the electric bill. :rolleyes:

I'm using 4 65k t8s about 3 inches above the plants and it works just fine. You can get a 2 tube shop light from Walmart for ten bucks. Here's some of them i have going under the 4 bulbs.

CAM00259_zps0c3d65df.jpg

CAM00258_zps7fbcb1c4.jpg

Oh and check out this video! But yeah you will be fine. I was worried sick at first about lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJncJmkQPtM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yup.
Peppers aren't annual. They will keep growing and producing for years---given the right conditions.
Ebay-ing plants is a major hassle as a business.
A couple bad reviews or damaged deliveries--or just ripoffs trying to burn you, will cost you more than your profit.

I would check the small print.
$10.99 per plant
$29.99 shipping and handling I would hazard a guess.
And by the time the plants produce pods that aren't what you paid for, the complaint period is over.

Not that it would be a problem as a hobby, and you were absolutely positive of which plants you are selling, not taking on faith that those seeds you bought on ebay are producing the type of plant you were expecting.

Yes.
been there.

Bought a couple really nice "Hottest pepper on the planet" Bhut plants for an outrageous sum----that produced Habeneros.

Same with buying seed on ebay.
None produced what they claimed, and some never even sprouted.

5 gallon planters??
Good idea, as you can sometimes find them at dollar stores for----well---a dollar.
But I wouldn't fill them just 1/2 way.

If you can make a hobby break even, you are doing really well.

Yes- "breaking even on a hobby" is a good way to put it- that's what I'd like to do.

Re: eBay- you can pre-order hot peppers from chileplants.com which I reccomend- and they charge $3.75 per plant which is cheap, I believe.

So let me ask you folks- can I sell some on eBay and grow most? Is it cost effective? I did some elaborate math and deduced it costs $1.25 to have a 4" X 4" X 16" lighted and heated space on the shelf- the cost of electricity for 4 months included. My job is to keep that space full with a plant. And if it's costing me $1.25 to grow one, I should be able to ask at least $3.75 for one, I believe.

Kepp posting folks- I am learning a great deal-

You're wanting to start a business selling plants on Ebay? A majority of people on this site are of the opinion that buying peppers/seeds on Ebay is a losing proposition. Too many horror stories of getting ripped off. I also think your estimate of total cost for the plant is low too. Did you factor in the growing medium? How about fertilizer? Water? Insecticide? What's the cheapest pepper plant you've found in your local area? Can you beat that price, including shipping?

I'm curious on how you came up with a "it costs $1.25 to have a 4" X 4" X 16" lighted and heated space on the shelf" for four months?

What are you basing your recommendation on concerning chileplants.com? You have experience with their plants? To get the cost down to where they're able to turn a profit selling plants for $3.75 I imagine they're growing thousands if not tens of thousands of plants.

Apologies for the rain on the parade, just trying to be realistic.

Not bad.
Shipping is only 1$ to $1.50 per plant if you buy a dozen. (for the link you supplied)
If you are growing from seed, and don't count your labor, and everything goes perfectly, your figure may be correct for GROWING them.
However, I don't think you included the cost of material, the cost of packing supplies, gas to run to the post office, etc ad infinatum.

1.25 each plant of 200 may be realistic-----if everything goes perfectly.
BUT.
1 aphid infestation, a power outage long enough to freeze, mold---fungus---cat deciding to sleep in a nice warm and tasty spot in the middle of your plants.

It's a great hobby, but the expectation of even a small profit is a delusion.
The HOPE of a small profit is a great motivator, and really nice to achieve.

The best HOPE for a small profit is to sell locally, IMHO.
But if you sell your plants locally, you run the risk of someone else being better at it by reason of more money to throw at it, or a bigger operation.

Best to grow for pods, and addict as many as possible to them.
Partner with a local place that sells "hot" food.

I spread free tidbits around, and am building a small cult of the pepper.
Like "dealers" in other items, give it away for free till they are addicted, then be the only source.

Back