• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beginner Questions HAHAHAHA

stickman said:
To my palate, I like the Trinidad Scorpion and Scotch Bonnet yellows and oranges. They have a fruity flavor I really like... especially the Bonnets, though the Scorpions have much more heat. Some Chinense varieties were bred more for heat than flavor. 7-pot Barrackpore and Butch T. taste like burnt plastic to me but both are blazing hot. They're OK in powder blends to punch up the heat, but in small amounts, or in sauces. I like the brown Chinense varieties, but haven't yet found a sweet and fruity variety. I've grown Douglahs (Brown Trinidad Scorpion) and the flavor had notes of earth and wood to me. I like them best cherrywood smoked and made into sauce.
Smoked huh? I have smoked a lot but never peppers. Im guessing a nice dense smoke with low heat? and I can tell that a lot of the Chinense have been bread for heat. So me, Heat is great and all but if there is no flavor whats the point? HAHAHAHA I guess thats why I like my sauces and powders, because they add heat and flavor depending on whats in them. any good ways to make a good powder?? I love suggestions.

Bhuter said:
I believe you are correct. I don't know the specifics of what is gained where (I need to read more). The mother plants' flower has to be emasculated first. Here's a rundown of how to breed from fatalii.net...if you haven't seen it.

http://fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

But it sounds like you know how it works.
Thanks for the link, That helps out a lot. I know a bit about breeding for certain charicteristics as I used to breed reptiles... Honestly its the same thing. from rats, to fish to reptiles and plants. You have 1 whole piece that came from mama and papa, half from each. Selective breeding is fun, or if you are trying to make a recessive trait a dominant trait. takes years to do but is fun none the less.
So I am assuming then I can use 1 main plant to cross with?? Ex. pick one hab and do as stated in the link you shared, pluck the petals and the stamens, then collect from a few other varieties, so on the one hab plant I would have possible crosses do 3 or 4 different peppers. I am assuming it would work. i dont see why not, Anyone that has done it this way Please chime in. I am very interested.

Blitz527 said:
Smoked huh? I have smoked a lot but never peppers. Im guessing a nice dense smoke with low heat? and I can tell that a lot of the Chinense have been bread for heat. So me, Heat is great and all but if there is no flavor whats the point? HAHAHAHA I guess thats why I like my sauces and powders, because they add heat and flavor depending on whats in them. any good ways to make a good powder?? I love suggestions.

Thanks for the link, That helps out a lot. I know a bit about breeding for certain charicteristics as I used to breed reptiles... Honestly its the same thing. from rats, to fish to reptiles and plants. You have 1 whole piece that came from mama and papa, half from each. Selective breeding is fun, or if you are trying to make a recessive trait a dominant trait. takes years to do but is fun none the less.
So I am assuming then I can use 1 main plant to cross with?? Ex. pick one hab and do as stated in the link you shared, pluck the petals and the stamens, then collect from a few other varieties, so on the one hab plant I would have possible crosses do 3 or 4 different peppers. I am assuming it would work. i dont see why not, Anyone that has done it this way Please chime in. I am very interested.
To date, my very favorite smoked pepper, is the Fatalii Gourmet Rocato.

Blitz527 said:

I usually make a blend of chiles... each one adds its own flavor and heat. I've found that the heat from different chiles hits me in different ways, so a blend kinda covers all the bases. :) Low heat on the smoke for sure. If you want to tone down the heat and improve the flavor at the same time, Paprika is your friend. You can pretty easily find smoked Paprika too.

Back