• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

tutorial Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

The-Nutritional-Value-of-Spinach.gif

Got a question....
Can honey be used as a substitute for molasses?
I have everything to make a tea except molasses, Yet I have a grip of honey...
Just wondering if this is possible.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I just made a batch of tea using a cup of white sugar. I was half expecting the bleach in the white sugar to kill off the myco, but its doing great! after only 2 hours its got a nice froth on top.

I used
1 cup white sugar
3 cups hot compost
150ml botanicare pure blend grow
1 cup promix HP (inoculated with myco already)
5 rotting strawberries
1/2 a rotten long english cucumber ( this thing was so gross, it was like liquid)

d256f063.jpg

1 cup of white sugar, edited my post to reflect that lol. My jug is only 15 litres so ~4 gallons.

I honestly cannot believe how easy this was, I'm gonna brew up a batch every time i clean out the fridge.

I'll post another pic once its ready to go tuesday evening.

I have no doubt unsulphured molasses is far superior to refined white sugar, I just can't find any around here. All the molasses I can find has sulphur added. I've got 10 lbs of white sugar in the pantry, I figured why not give it a try.

I have to admit to being a bit skeptical about how well the sugar will actually work all that well. The trace elements in molasses are not prsent in refined sugar. I did a quick check to make sure that my memory was correct about how sugar is devoid of any nutrients and came up with this useful link.

Sugar, sucrose, white table sugar, which is stripped of all vitamins, minerals, fiber, amino acids and trace elements during the refining process, is pure sucrose. At 99.5 to 99.9% pure sucrose, it is one of the purest chemicals manufactured. Powdered sugar is only pulverized table sugar.

Quote taken from:
http://www.starch.dk...tarch/sugar.asp

Just because it has no benefit, and a great deal of negatives, for human consumption does not necessarily mean that it is completely unhealthy for plants. For example, I add bat poop into my compost tea and I'm sure that bad things would happen to me if I decided to give it a taste. The thing that worries me the most is that so much of the good found in molasses is intentionally stripped out of sugar during the refining process.

Fireface: did you try looking for molasses without additives? One additive to molasses is sulphur (although trace sulphar can exist naturally in the very dark specialty molasses).

i just started a batch myself! jamaican/mexican guano, alfalfa meal, ancient forrest, dried grass cliipings, molases, and added the bennies(great white) gonna see how it turns out and give each plant a little watering and foliar spraying in 3 days!!!!

its made by general organics, its soil hummus from the tundra in Alaska, its basically compost with humus. i like it for my teas

I have to admit to being a bit skeptical about how well the sugar will actually work all that well. The trace elements in molasses are not prsent in refined sugar. I did a quick check to make sure that my memory was correct about how sugar is devoid of any nutrients and came up with this useful link.

Quote taken from:
http://www.starch.dk...tarch/sugar.asp

Just because it has no benefit, and a great deal of negatives, for human consumption does not necessarily mean that it is completely unhealthy for plants. For example, I add bat poop into my compost tea and I'm sure that bad things would happen to me if I decided to give it a taste. The thing that worries me the most is that so much of the good found in molasses is intentionally stripped out of sugar during the refining process.

Fireface: did you try looking for molasses without additives? One additive to molasses is sulphur (although trace sulphar can exist naturally in the very dark specialty molasses).

I use white and brown sugar, molasses is a hard find around here, then again sugar is only a food source for the essential brew, but then again maybe i wrong about that.

PS: has anybody compare the result of aact and nact? really want to know the result

Sure did, went to 3 grocery stores, all had the same brand of molasses with sulphur listed in the ingredients. I may try to pick up some raw cane sugar if the price isn't too high.

I figure that my tea is running off the sugars in the rotten fruits and veg I threw in. We will see if the head subsides once those sugars are used up. Its been 9 hours and its only getting frothier.

Back