• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beginners Guide??

Hi all, I just joined "The Hot Pepper!" and have been having a look around. I'm a near-complete beginner to growing chillies but have two dozen seedlings about 3" tall in a few small pots. They are in my utility room by a west facing window. I live in South Coast of England so temperatures are around 16deg C (61deg F) in that room. They were in the propagator but now turned off. I'm  wondering how I know when to separate them, into their own pots. I think this is called pricking out. I'd be very grateful for any advice.  Is there a beginners' guide on the forum that might guide me in this, and all the questions that are bound to arise over the next few months?

thanks in advance
Simonides.

Welcome from Hungary! :)
Last year I did it like you, planted a lot of seeds in one bigger container. Then when they were bigger I separated them. But the problem is its hard to do it fast, easy and properly without harming the roots. You can separate them anytime when you feel comfortable with it. Still I suggest you to plant the seeds in their own pots next time, one by one, if you are not using some kind of a starter kit. It is the best for them and the easiest for you.

This video really helped me with my first grow. My plants are still in the "light-box" and are doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Bv52vi9c&list=FLSWx1rjk2f3PROZ0B1iJ9bw&index=31

Back