• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

bell pepper seeds?

They do produce varieties of bell peppers that are specifically for northern growers. King of the North comes to mind, but there are others. The being said, bell peppers don't do well for me, they seem more susceptible to various pepper diseases, so I gave up on growing them. I grow non-bell sweet peppers and get better production.

I've given up growing bells, they don't produce well for me at all and there are so many other sweet peppers out there that are more attractive, better producing, and often better tasting.
I also have stopped my anti-green thinking, and must say that I do like the green bells(and others.) Its a different taste than ripe, and although they may not be as sweet, they definitely have a place in my kitchen.

POTAWIE said:
I also have stopped my anti-green thinking, and must say that I do like the green bells(and others.) Its a different taste than ripe, and although they may not be as sweet, they definitely have a place in my kitchen.

*horrified gasp*

*edges away from Potawie*

I love green bells in chili, pasta salad, soups, a lot of dishes. I freeze them and then when I need some, they are rather easy to slice and dice.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I love green bells in chili, pasta salad, soups, a lot of dishes. I freeze them and then when I need some, they are rather easy to slice and dice.

Mike

HELP!

I am surrounded by heathen savage barbarians!!

Send lawyers, guns, and money! *

* RIP, Mr. Zeavon

Pam said:
HELP!

Send lawyers, guns, and money! *

* RIP, Mr. Zeavon

ha ha ha

anti - green pepperite..

i have to agree, not my favourite but they do have a place in the kitchen.. green pepper pizza, green pepper sandwich, green roasted peppers, green pepper salads, green pepper soup, jumbo green pepper spread....

RUN FORREST RUN !

Pam said:
HELP!

Send lawyers, guns, and money!

* RIP, Mr. Zeavon

Well, I have guns.....and RIPE PEPPERS!!!! Viva la resistance!!!

Hotpeppa said:
ha ha ha

anti - green pepperite..

i have to agree, not my favourite but they do have a place in the kitchen

No!

When you're out at a restaurant and the choice is green peppers or no peppers, ok; or when you're at a friend's house and must politely eat what is put before you, ok. But at home, in your own kitchen, with your own garden? Never!

.. green pepper pizza, green pepper sandwich, green roasted peppers, green pepper salads, green pepper soup, jumbo green pepper spread....

RUN FORREST RUN !

He can't, he's too shocked at the thought of willfully eating unripe peppers.

POTAWIE said:
I've given up growing bells, they don't produce well for me at all and there are so many other sweet peppers out there that are more attractive, better producing, and often better tasting.

What sweets are you growing?

I'll go find my list of sweets that I am starting indoors next week.

Please respect the original poster and start your own thread if you need to start a new discussion, thanks.

Continue:
drmax said:
Will the seeds of the colored green, red & yellow bell pepper seeds (from the grocery pack) grow into "productive" producing plants? thank you

salads, pizzas and ranch dressing dip all beg for a green bell but there is no such thing in Illinois that I know of. I tried for three years and got zip! People tell me its not hot enough. Perhaps not in the garden but I would put a pot in the back seat of my car if it would help. Whats wrong with my bell skills?

If you're growing bell pepper plants only to harvest green bell peppers, you're doing it wrong.

And bells should do well in Chicago. They are one of the earlier plants to set fruit, much quicker than the superhots. How early are you starting your plants? And are you planting seeds or buying the transplants at garden centers?

But seriously, if you want green bell peppers pick those up at the store. You're doing yourself a disservice if you pick your bells anything less than ripe. One most sublime pleasures in the world is chomping a super sweet very ripe bell pepper like it was an apple straight off the plant....

Plus if you harvest green I'll tell Pam! :lol:

drmax said:
Will the seeds of the colored green, red & yellow bell pepper seeds (from the grocery pack) grow into "productive" producing plants? thank you

That's how I do mine. I find the nicest looking red bell I can find - dark, square, symmetrical and great tasting and save the seeds from it. First year I got some orange and yellow plants from the red seeds, so they must have been crossed somewhere??

The disadvantage is you never really know what variety of bell they are. I suspect mine are Cali Wonders.

Don't think you need to dry the seed first, unless maybe to get rid of the bits of pepper still attached to them.
c.

If you're using a pepper from the grocery store to get seeds, you are most likely getting a hybrid. Seeds from a hybrid will not produce true, which is why you got some yellows and oranges. Remember, too, that what you get in the grocery store may have been trucked in from another part of the country or from Mexico. Their growing conditions may be very different from yours. It's better investment of time and labor to find out what varieties do well in your climate and grow those varieties.

chicagofire said:
salads, pizzas and ranch dressing dip all beg for a green bell but there is no such thing in Illinois that I know of. I tried for three years and got zip! People tell me its not hot enough. Perhaps not in the garden but I would put a pot in the back seat of my car if it would help. Whats wrong with my bell skills?

Bell peppers can be quite fussy. I'm like Potawie, I don't grow them, I grow other sweet peppers. However, if you really want bells, a good way to find varieties that will do well in your area is to go to http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

If you register, you can restrict search results to varieties that have been grown and reviewed by folks with similar climates. I'm registered, and I have never received any spam from them.

Pam said:
Remember, too, that what you get in the grocery store may have been trucked in from another part of the country or from Mexico.

They usually say right on the stickers where they're from. This year I started some that were from Canada and they're doing great so far. We'll see what happens when things start to heat up. I also just started some from Mexico... to see if they act different.
I'll check out that site too.

Back