• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Bentalphanerd's Thai Green Chicken Curry

You will need -

-1 kg (2.2 lb) chicken breast (For hotter Curry - soak raw chicken in Lime juice, will open the pores on the tongue to allow more heat)
-Thai Green curry paste ( many out there - look at the back of jar - good 1 will only need about 2-3 Tspns & will contain the ingredient 'Galangal'
-2-3 hands of Snow Peas
-2 Sweet (or banana) chillies
-Fish Sauce
-Large tin Coconut Cream (not milk & not Lite, shake the can, make sure it sounds thick)
-fresh Basil ( red is best, but green will do)
-fresh Coriander ( pick a piece of leaf & smell, does look like Italian Parsley)
-1 Red Capsicum ( Red Pepper )
-Sesame Oil
-2 teaspoons minced garlic
-2 teaspoons minced ginger
**If u like it hot:cayenne pepper-Hot paprika-whatever chillies u want to add

In lrge-deep frypan heat sesame oil(1 Tbspn for non-stick, 3 if not)| add garlic, ginger & 2 heaped Tbspns curry paste. raise to high heat & stir together|

add chicken cut into large bite size pieces & stir rapidly till just losing pinkness, add coconut cream, 3-4 Tbspns of Fish Sauce (sounds bad, but will stop the cream from going funny) add handful of chopped Basil, reduce heat to a low simmer & stir it all in. Add Sweet Chillies sliced into 1-2 cm rings & Capsicum cut in long throngs. simmer till cream reduces (aprox 20 mins) Stir occasionally, dont let the chicken get dry (dab it under the sauce).
When rice is nearly ready, Add Snow peas (whole, just chop ends off) & chopped Coriander to taste ( Coriander will reduce the heat of curry & add flavor) I add about 2 handfuls. These should not be added any later than 5 mins before u serve so that they are still crisp.
With the rice i like to add a cup of frozen peas & corn to the mix - adds color :shocked:
Ring the rice around the plate, and spoon curry into middle. Garnish with Coriander leaf & birdseye chilli.
If you make it right it will not taste hot like chilli, but warm and herbal until you finish eating then it may get warmer for a while.
** If u like it hot: roll the raw meat in cayenne pepper & Hot Paprika| After adding cream, add the seeds of as many birdseye chillies as u think u can cope with. Remember You can always add more Coriander to tame it :shocked:.

Thats it - if you get it right it will be a warm meal, and 30 mins after you finish eating it you will be crying without the scorched tongue or the morning after spraypainting.

Enjoy :)

red_curry_sml.jpg

This is a Red Thai Chicken Curry I cooked up tonight. Snow peas were out of season so I used string beans.

Traditionally Red was used with Red meat & Green for Chicken of seafood.

Any questions please ask...I do my cooking by taste, smell & sight, so not so good at writing recipe's, but i know this meal inside-out.
Would like to hear how it turns out for you. Suggestions also good ;)

I've made this a few times (sorry just didn't get around to replying to the thread :)) and it's great. I make it pretty much the same, except I use coconut milk instead of cream, and throw in a few other veggies like celery, zucchini and carrot.

I've had it before, It is one of my favorite meals. Last summer I went to Australia, to visit my sister who was studying abroad. Her boyfriend made this, and I loved it, it was the first time I had Thai food. That meal may have single handedly sparked my chili obsession. I think I am going to have to make that tonight. By the way it looks great.

Back