• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best choices for growing in Florida

Being that i am brand new to attempting to grow hot peppers,i an curious if there are any certain peppers that would do better than others here in Florida.I an very excited about starting some plants and figured i would ask those that have already been growing with success and what works best in our tropical environment. I am also curious as to where the best place to buy quality seeds would be so i can be assured to a good start with my growing experience.thanks in advance.
John

Hello John and welcome to the forum!

You can grow any pepper you want in Florida!
You actually have a big advantage over most !
You can start late bloomers and still have plenty of time to get a great harvest!

As far as buying seeds, just avoid Ebay IMO!

I love THSC, and Peppermania!

But there are plenty of other excellent sellers!

Kevin

Hi Kevin
Thanks for the quick response.I will look into the places mentioned to buy seeds as i am anxious to give this a try and get some plants started.
John

I just ordered some seeds from peppermania.I ordered some Aji omnicolor,kaleidoscope,Chimayo,Zavery and Tabasco.That should give me a good start with some variety.

Peppermania is a very good seed supplier. As others said you can grow anything in your climate. You might want to try datil which is native to Florida... they were brought over from the minorcans to St Augustine about 225 years ago i believe?

Hi madhatter.I will look into the datil pepper and appreciate the heads up.I basically have a sun room that is vacant and what i will be using to start this project so i do have room for several plants.

JOHN!

Oh man do I feel guilty seeing you here. I'm glad you're here but since I haven't sent the seeds and powders I said I would a couple of weeks ago I feel guilty. Sorry about that. I have your address still and will get them on the way. Have you had a chance to look around and figure out what peppers you want to try growing? If you can come up with a list I can probably fill most of it up for you. Give me a shout via PM and we'll go from there.

JOHN!

Oh man do I feel guilty seeing you here. I'm glad you're here but since I haven't sent the seeds and powders I said I would a couple of weeks ago I feel guilty. Sorry about that. I have your address still and will get them on the way. Have you had a chance to look around and figure out what peppers you want to try growing? If you can come up with a list I can probably fill most of it up for you. Give me a shout via PM and we'll go from there.
No need to feel guilty Patrick since i know only too well how things can evade the mind and i am one that has to write hings down lately with every thing we have going on so no big deal and i will look forward to the package arriving and thank You very much.

The climate is good for alllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Datils do very well of my part of Fla. I would say do not top them though. Last year I bought a small seedling and allowed it to grow naturally. Later last year I went back for another. All they had were topped ones. This year the natural one had blooms by the end of Feb., and is now loaded with some good size fruit and more flowers than it can handle. The topped one--- a couple of blooms, that's it.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and pointers.I was hoping some of the seeds would have come in he mail today forgetting here was no mail delivery because of the long weekend so i will anxiously be waiting for Monday.

Back