• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Best deer rifle for Pennsylvania?

I've had really good luck using my dad's old 30-06, it really is hard to go wrong there. I decided to go a bit smaller last year with a .270 and I've been really impressed. I've only had two shots at deer with it so far, but I dropped them both, one at 230 yards. As far as brand, unless you're wanting to go competition, any name band will meet your needs. My new .270 I got is a Marlin and one of the first bolt action rifles they've built (known primarily for their lever actions). The price was right, so I gave it a shot and it's been a fantastic little rifle.

I'm a reloader, and I've got more and more friends who are getting AR-15's, almost exclusively in .223, and they've been using them for plinking and hunting. Not quite the stopping power of a larger caliber, but a kill shot is still a kill shot. Then you've got a fun something to play with out of season!!!

I've considered .223 but for the type of "jump shooting" that I get on occasion, I'd rather have a larger round. Damn I wish I could hunt with my AR-15...

Made my decision this weekend. This baby is damn sexy in my opinion!!!

THOMPSON CENTER VENTURE (30-06)
tc-venture-weather-shield-black.jpg

Nice! That is a sexy looking shoulder cannon.
What chu gonna put on top?
Let us know how it does at the range when you sight it in.

243 It doesn't kick, It doesn't tear up a lot of meat and the deer go down. I use a 6mm but they are getting hard to find and ammo selection is limited.

Back