• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Best flavoured pepper(s) 2023

Hot annuums also often come with a bitterness. Especially hot Thai peppers seem to have that. Totally unenjoyable to me. I have grown the Spanish Jeromín variety a couple of seasons. That is a hot annuum that I really like. Good heat but no unpleasant taste. Seeds came from smoke-dried hot pimentón peppers. They germinate without problems...

I didn't grow them this year, but I like both the Jamaican Mushroom and Monkey Face varieties for annuum types. They tend to be both hotter and sweeter than most annuums. I didn't notice any bitterness or other off flavors in either of those varieties.

Out of the varieties that I grew this season, I would choose Brazilian Starfish and Aji Fantasy Orange as the best tasting. They are both quite sweet with mild to medium heat with the Fantasy being probably a bit warmer on average than the Starfish. The Fantasy also has a bright, citrusy flavor that I thought was really nice.

Actually I experience annuum heat as unpleasant when eaten raw.... very different from chinense heat...
Reading this is great for me. I don't feel alone anymore. I have always said that, despite the SHU, the annum is more thorny and violent. It's more like the feeling of sharp thorns in your mouth and throat!

For me the frutescens have a very unpleasant type of heat. I can chomp down a chinense with relative ease and although it burns a lot i like it, but with frutescens i often feel quite bad after eating them. Very aggressive in your face type of heat!

On topic: This years best flavoured peppers were the KSLS (nice citrus taste), fatali (great tropical flavor but on the edge of my heat tolerance) and last but surely not least the CGN 21500 (awesome tasting pepper)

Hi Guy's

Still munching my way through my 2023 grew to many not tried them all yet ! Been sharing a few pods with a work mate who really appreciates them.

We both agree there are 3 that we both really like

20231002_151927.jpg

The Fatalii Gourmet jigsaw.......... 😋 tasty and excellent heat.

20230924_111723.jpg

Chocolate scotch bonnet from whp very tasty and nice all round heat 😋

20231012_161616.jpg

Really impressed with my Scotch brains f5 too, strong good taste and respectable heat.

I've still a few to evaluate I like to cook them a few time's before I decide.....

20230920_154126.jpg

I need to eat more of my surprise Mustard Naga that was ment to be Black Naga, first impressions were good flavour interesting too and pretty hot !

Planning on growing them out next year...........

Stephen

First tried it this season, the Aji Charapita. I am addicted both to the fresh one but also the dried pods powdered.
Flavor tropical taste & spice goes with anything, it does not change the flavor of the food they enhance & spice with a great warm feeling.
I say it's a little hotter than a Serrano but way better tasting.
It blends well in salsas with scotch bonnets & Aji mangos.

1697153263803.png
I just ordered these seeds. Can't wait to try them.

I just ordered these seeds. Can't wait to try them.
Your going to love them, sweet tropical flavor with a midlevel heat that warms the body.
Our plants grew about 3 feet & just covered up with pods. When you pick the ripe pods they come off with the stem
pull it off if drying they dry faster. I powdered some & enjoy them with food. Fresh we just put them in whole for salsas & pizza.

Caution: You better be retired if you plan on growing these for sale, they take some time to pick when they all ripen. 😁
1700336596407.png

Your going to love them, sweet tropical flavor with a midlevel heat that warms the body.
Our plants grew about 3 feet & just covered up with pods. When you pick the ripe pods they come off with the stem
pull it off if drying they dry faster. I powdered some & enjoy them with food. Fresh we just put them in whole for salsas & pizza.

Caution: You better be retired if you plan on growing these for sale, they take some time to pick when they all ripen. 😁
1700336596407.png
I saw a youtube video with a guy debunking the claim that one kilo of these peppers was worth $25,000. Watching the amount of labor he put into harvesting, drying, and processing was easily enough to turn most people off. That's why I'm starting with just one plant. Thanks for the info.

sometimes jalapenos still make me breathe hard :lol:
It was a jalapeño who taught me to never disrespect a pepper. One of the hottest peppers I ever ate was one of the three fresh jalapeños I got to eat with an excellent pastrami sandwich. I bought this meal from a deli in Queens NY during one of the most famous blizzards to ever hit the city. I was eating while driving a very large truck on the BQE trying to get the hell out of the city. This particular pepper was #2 and it was so hot it gave me vertigo. It hit me so hard I almost had to stop alongside of the road to get my act together. This was in 1978.

Last edited:
Back