• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best Habanero for cold & wet

I live in the Netherlands, and last season's weather was very disappointing, we had a horribly cold summer with a lot of rain which resulted in a depressing harvest of not-so-hot Habanero's..

I am now looking for Habanero seeds with the following characteristics:
- Has to be ready early! Ripe pods as early as possible.
- Can tolerate wet conditions.
- Still grows with low heat

I do not care about color, form, or size.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks!

There are very few real habanero types, you'd probably be better to expand your search to all C. chinenses although I don't know what to recommend for wet conditions

What about the regular Orange Habanero?

I do not know if it like it wet but i dont think any chili plant want it to wet.
And Hot peppers are always kinda slow to get ripe. But i would def try Orange hab.

//Oscar

There are very few real habanero types, you'd probably be better to expand your search to all C. chinenses although I don't know what to recommend for wet conditions
You are right, do you know of any early chinense's maybe? I might try crossing those with a scotch bonnet or habanero type.. I could select on wet-tolerance by planting the f2 generations in rain-exposed locations and selecting seeds from the ones that perform best right?

What about the regular Orange Habanero?

I do not know if it like it wet but i dont think any chili plant want it to wet.
And Hot peppers are always kinda slow to get ripe. But i would def try Orange hab.

//Oscar
I was thinking about 'hot paper lantern' (which is early according to some descriptions) and peppers like it..
As Potawie suggested I should expand my selection to all C chinense's..

Thanks

Yep like potawie says....

what do you like in the Hab? Taste or heat?
There is so much variety out there (from no heat to the infernal 7pot and scorpion level)....
check what are sold around your area that are acclimated to your "rusticity zone"
around here (can be pretty cold) in our seeds seller catalog the hottest in that hab familiy that are sold for a country like mine (and 90 days to attain fruits) are the red hot paper lantern and the orange Hab.

i know that the C Annum are much better suited around here... Cayenne, Jalapeno, serrano etc... you might find something interesiting in the cayenne family also...
I suggest you RING OF FIRE cayenne.. good heat, very prolific.

other thing you might want to have a raise bed or something to help control the water in your soil like better drainage ?

have you tought on some indoor grow?

you can also go crazy and start like 20 differents varietal and see what goes better at your place.
Try something different like Aji's, Superhots (7 pots, scorp), tabasco, tiny tepin type, Naga's, Fatalii, red devil tongue,

good luck :)

Yep like potawie says....

what do you like in the Hab? Taste or heat?
There is so much variety out there (from no heat to the infernal 7pot and scorpion level)....
check what are sold around your area that are acclimated to your "rusticity zone"
around here (can be pretty cold) in our seeds seller catalog the hottest in that hab familiy that are sold for a country like mine (and 90 days to attain fruits) are the red hot paper lantern and the orange Hab.

i know that the C Annum are much better suited around here... Cayenne, Jalapeno, serrano etc... you might find something interesiting in the cayenne family also...
I suggest you RING OF FIRE cayenne.. good heat, very prolific.

other thing you might want to have a raise bed or something to help control the water in your soil like better drainage ?

have you tought on some indoor grow?

you can also go crazy and start like 20 differents varietal and see what goes better at your place.
Try something different like Aji's, Superhots (7 pots, scorp), tabasco, tiny tepin type, Naga's, Fatalii, red devil tongue,

good luck :)
I don't think my local seed supplier has any pepper seeds specificcally suited to my region.. Just a couple of the more popular varieties.. Jalapeno, Madame Jeanette's (We have a lot of people from Suriname living here)
Thanks for the advice. I have a nice selection of plants to try, and I will be growing my peppers on small raised beds..
I like habanero for the taste and heat, and wanted to cross some species in the hopes of creating a pepper especially suited to my climate.. I also like scotch bonnets so I could have a look at those..

All habañeros are cap chinense

Not all cap chinense are habañeros
:halo:

Thanks everybody!

You are right, do you know of any early chinense's maybe? I might try crossing those with a scotch bonnet or habanero type.. I could select on wet-tolerance by planting the f2 generations in rain-exposed locations and selecting seeds from the ones that perform best right?

I found CCN's ChilePlants.com a useful reference when looking for earlier to mature varieties.

Early Season C. ChinenseMid Season C. ChinenseI would try to keep the plants out of the rain via the use of some form of shelter for the plants in combination with the raised bed idea that Hammerfall mentioned.

Edited 2013-01-10: Fix CCN links.

Back