• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

best numex varieties

Joe Parker, Conquistador,Hatch, Big Jim, Barkers Hot. Anyone familiar with these,or can anyone recommend the best flavored ones? My whole season is very much in the air still but if I get the chance to plant this season I want to try some of these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Redtail, how was the heat on the Piquillos. I'm growing them this year because my wife and I enjoy them marinated and stuffed with goat cheese, tapas style. But I wasn't sure how much, or little, punch they packed. I assumed little.

I will look into those. I want to get away from Hungarian hots and infernos for stuffing and roasting. Not much variety in my area. I hope to get people in my community interested in different types. As of right now they believe there are 3 kinds.... Wax..bell..jalapeno.

Barker and Heritage Big Jim for medium heat. Joe E. Parker is great for mild head. So is the Heritage 6-4. Conquistador really has no heat, but makes a pretty paprika.

The NuMex Big Jim did very well for me this year - great length for chile rellenos. Heritage 6-4 was also a great producer.

I'd go for the Numex heritage varieties bred to have more flavor, or for heat go with the Sandia. My personal favorite is the Sahuaro hybrid which is about the only Numex/Anaheim that produces well in my climate

I'd go for the Numex heritage varieties bred to have more flavor, or for heat go with the Sandia. My personal favorite is the Sahuaro hybrid which is about the only Numex/Anaheim that produces well in my climate

Thanks for the info potawie ... I have heat. I am looking for flavor with medium heat.

Big Jim org. or #2, both can grow 10/12" in opt climate. I've been growing them for years. Cut them into "boats" and stuff'em any way you chose.
Sandia A is a real treat when roasted, it also seems to turn red faster than most Anaheim type peppers.

Greg

Redtail, how was the heat on the Piquillos. I'm growing them this year because my wife and I enjoy them marinated and stuffed with goat cheese, tapas style. But I wasn't sure how much, or little, punch they packed. I assumed little.

They were fairly mild. I really enjoyed stuffing the few that survived the brutal heat last season.

I am anxious to try some of these. I haven't decided what to order just yet. All of them seem like what I am looking for. I have uses for the supers but none of them are consuming whole pods. These seem very versatile.

I love Nu-Mex Green Chille for enchiladas, cheeseburges and chille verde. I grew Joe E. Parker in 2010. The pods were smaller than I had hoped and had very little heat, so this past year I grew Heritage Big Jim. My Big Jims produced crazy amounts of large hot peppers. I grew 10 plants and had plenty for friends and family. I froze 20 lbs. of green and dried 20 lbs. of red.The Jim's are harder to peal than the Parker's and are much hotter than I expected, noticably hotter than a Jalmundo Jalapeno. When I make green chille enchiladas loaded with Big Jims they are to hot for most of my family but rehydrated reds make a great sauce of medium heat. This year I will be growing Heritage 6-4, hope it will be perfect heat for green chille recipes and easier to peal than the Big Jim's.

Back