• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Best Soil Make-up for Germination

Quibble is a word
From Webster:

quibble
2 entries found.

Main Entry:
1quib·ble Listen to the pronunciation of 1quibble
Pronunciation:
ˈkwi-bəl
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
quib·bled; quib·bling Listen to the pronunciation of quibbling -b(ə-)liŋ
Date:

intransitive verb1: to evade the point of an argument by caviling about words2 a: cavil, carp b: bickertransitive verb: to subject to quibbles
— quib·bler Listen to the pronunciation of quibbler -b(ə-)lər noun

Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........my first pepper seed sprout...right at 7 days...one of the marbles seeds...

Now a question for all of you.

I was given two different fertilizer samples by a Hydroponics store. The brand name of the fertilizer is Botanicare, one of the samples is the Pro Pure Blend Soil Bloom Formula, 1.5 - 4 - 5 and the other is Pro Pure Blend Grow, 3 - 1.5 - 4. They are manufactured by American Agritech.

Which one of these samples would be the best for just sprouted seedlings and when should I start using fettilize?

leave them where they are until the second set of leaves, may be another week or two. I'm not sure about your fertilizer or is it potting mix?

bentalphanerd said:
leave them where they are until the second set of leaves, may be another week or two. I'm not sure about your fertilizer or is it potting mix?

It is a concentrated fertilize liquid in a 1/2 Oz sample pack that says mix with one gallon of water. The guy at the hydroponics store used to work for Botanicare and did some pepper fertilize research. He gave me the website address (which I don't have with me) about the research and I think he said use the fertilize with the lower Nitrogen value (1.5-4-5). I just wanted an opinion for experienced pepper growers.

When they're still seedlings, a higher nitrogen fertilizer won't hurt, just don't over fertilize. Once every two to three weeks is the greatest of plenty. When they start getting large enough to produce some flowers, you want to switch to the lower nitrogen fertilizer.

You know, I don't fertilize my seedlings so early. It seems that some of you guys are all about rapid growth, but I think sometimes letting nature take its course makes stronger plants in the long run. I usually use half strength fish emulsion at about the third set of leaves.

AlabamaJack said:
It is a concentrated fertilize liquid in a 1/2 Oz sample pack that says mix with one gallon of water.

If it says mix with 1 gal of water, mix it with 2-4 gal of water. Chiles are not very domesticated/engineered plants and require very little fertilizer to thrive.

I make my own mix of
14 parts peat
5 parts vermiculite
3 part perlite
and a handfull of fine lime. Works great for starting seeds and works well with wick watering which is what I use to water seedlings.

I used to mix my own too with a cement mixer, but now I go through so much that its easier to buy pre-mixed and compressed.

I just used potting soil for germination, and you know what? it worked great.
BTW, what kind of pepper is that in your avatar (POTAWIE)?

Back