• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Best vocalist ever? Are they high?

I am not surprised. Look at all the lists that rank Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitarist of all time. Not even close to an accomplished musician. Or John Bonham as the greatest drummer. Not even in his day! People who vote on these stupid polls generally biased and do not know jack about music and the skill required.

looking at this thing further it appears that they are judging by vocal range, and not "talent", necessarily. even then, do you really think that axl rose has the best vocal range of all time?

birdfather said:
looking at this thing further it appears that they are judging by vocal range, and not "talent", necessarily. even then, do you really think that axl rose has the best vocal range of all time?

Hardly! Sure he has (had?) a broad range, but lots of people do. Most people don't even understand the first thing about vocal ranges, octaves or anything regarding the music from a scientific standpoint. Also, most people won't take into account technique.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Hardly! Sure he has (had?) a broad range, but lots of people do. Most people don't even understand the first thing about vocal ranges, octaves or anything regarding the music from a scientific standpoint. Also, most people won't take into account technique.
He's not even in the same league with people like Freddy Mercury.

Proud Marine Dad said:

I am biased since I cannot stand Queen. Nails on a chalkboard to me. I will give him props for a classic rock vocalist, just not my taste.

I also gotta give credit to lot of the classical/opera singers. Not my favorite music, but some of them can really belt it out!

For me, I find Warrel Dane from Nevermore to be an exceptional vocalist (the whole band is top shelf!). He has a nice range, good technique and a lot of power. Not my favorite, but one of my most respected vocalists that I listen to.

birdfather said:

Yea...
Largest pitch range somehow equals 'best?'  :crazy:

That's very possibly the most idiotic thing I've seen all day!  :rolleyes:

My family (hubby and 15yo son) and I have had this discussion recently regarding guitarists and we disagree with each other.

They say that... because the bass player from Led Zeppelin was ...the bass player from LED ZEPPELIN!!!! (HELLO!!! LED ZEPPELIN) that automatically makes John Paul Jones a better musician than....(any number of other bass players from any era)....(specifically we were comparing the talents of the Los Lonely Boys Bassist to LedZ bassist.  I said the LLB bassist had more skill and talent than the LedZ bassist).

Their argument is that because he( the LedZ bassist) was a musician in a certain band that did have a huge impact on music and culture, that automatically makes that person a good musician. 

My view is...they may have been in the right place at the right time in the right band on the right album...(and been on epic tours and made $#ittons of money from everything...)..but that doesn't meant that person is a good or accomplished musician.  LOTS of other musicians are more talented than  (thatmusician).  Just cuz they were in the Right Place/RightTime doesn't make them good or talented. 

Just fodder for the discussion.  And I do think that Jojo has more talent and skill than JP.  JPJ may have set the foundation, in the same way Henry Ford Model T's set the foundation for Mustangs.  But which would you want to drive/listen to?  An Edsel or a Mustang? 

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I am not surprised. Look at all the lists that rank Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitarist of all time. Not even close to an accomplished musician. Or John Bonham as the greatest drummer. Not even in his day! People who vote on these stupid polls generally biased and do not know jack about music and the skill required.

John Bonham BEST drummer ever!  No-one could do what he did with those triplets etc - and that with a single, yes single bass pedal.  The drumming on The Crunge (Houses of the Holy) has been disputed for so long - did he actually mean to do that?  Yip he did - one of the most complex funk rip-offs ever!

Never diss the Bonham! 

RobStar said:
John Bonham BEST drummer ever!  No-one could do what he did with those triplets etc - and that with a single, yes single bass pedal.  The drumming on The Crunge (Houses of the Holy) has been disputed for so long - did he actually mean to do that?  Yip he did - one of the most complex funk rip-offs ever!

Never diss the Bonham!
And I say Neil Peart is far better but that's for another discussion. :)

salsalady said:
My family (hubby and 15yo son) and I have had this discussion recently regarding guitarists and we disagree with each other.

They say that... because the bass player from Led Zeppelin was ...the bass player from LED ZEPPELIN!!!! (HELLO!!! LED ZEPPELIN) that automatically makes John Paul Jones a better musician than....(any number of other bass players from any era)....(specifically we were comparing the talents of the Los Lonely Boys Bassist to LedZ bassist.  I said the LLB bassist had more skill and talent than the LedZ bassist).

Their argument is that because he( the LedZ bassist) was a musician in a certain band that did have a huge impact on music and culture, that automatically makes that person a good musician. 

That doesn't make much sense SL. By that logic, you would have to argue that Angus Young is one of the best guitarists of all time and Gene Simmons was right at the top with John Paul Jones. After all, AC/DC and Kiss had just as big of an influence as Led Zep.

NOT!

Proud Marine Dad said:

Rob Halford was another that came to mind with a broader vocal range then Axl.

Proud Marine Dad said:
And I say Neil Peart is far better but that's for another discussion. :)

And I'd say he's had a lot more practice :rolleyes:

just watched a drum solo of his and must say Bonham had way better rhythm
This is a can of worms!

Kids today will ask you what a guitar is!

Each to their own.  Have to agree though that some people have the weirdest choices in the best ever polls.

RobStar said:

Never diss the Bonham! 

Eh, child's play for a competent metal drummer.

Back