• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Best way to dry habaneros and serranos

You can dry them in the oven but you'll have much better results with a dehydrator. There are many DIY plans on the net for cheap dehydrators, some using the sun or light bulbs for heat.

Thanks tp the OP for posting this...I was literally pulling in to this section of the forum to post the exact same thing. I'm too cheap to buy a dehydrator.

If you use an oven be sure you either a.) live alone in a house or b.) have really great ventilation and that pretty much goes for a dehydrator too. I you have a room with full sun you can give that a go as well... you will need to split them to help drying before rotting

Not sure if the OP is gonna check this again...but I stuck a bag full of cayenne and scotch bonnets in the window sill, and tossed some dry rice in the bag. I'm a few days away from having perfectly dried peppers!

Hang the Serranos in a ristra by a sunlit window. Make sure to rotate them and watch for mold.

Mold can still form inside the pod :eek:

When I sun dry tomatoes or peppers they are placed on the dehydrator tray and elevated about 2-3" above the table in my yard.

Elevating them allows good airflow around the veggies :)

Year before last I dried my peppers on ristras.My bedroom was the only place I could hang them and for over 15 days, my bedroom had fine aroma of drying Bydgis (they are highly aromatic).

If you use an oven be sure you either a.) live alone in a house or b.) have really great ventilation and that pretty much goes for a dehydrator too. I you have a room with full sun you can give that a go as well... you will need to split them to help drying before rotting

I use an oven to dry my peppers. It is funny because when I dry them in the oven my gf starts coughing and tells me that something irritate her throat :rofl:....

Back