• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water best way to keep a watering schedule...

I just got finished transplanting the rest of my potted peppers into my raised garden. Lately we have been experiencing warm to hot, dry conditions in Louisville. They are all in a good soil mix (followed mels method) some of the peppers seem to be thirstier than others. My question is could this be because some of the hotter peppers enjoy the drier conditions, or could this be a result of over watering that they need more water? also should they all be watered at the same time or keep them on a different schedule? Thanks

I'm no expert, but it does seem that each plant has it's own set of needs (even compared to a similar sized plant of the same type).

I would think that each would be watered based on its needs - when it starts to wilt a little, it needs water. If the plant next to it doesn't show any sign of wilting, it may not be thirsty yet. Also it may be beneficial to get a moisture meter (need one myself), and determine what reading actually means they need water.

From what I've seen so far (first year), these plants are pretty hardy and can bounce back from being under-watered much more easily than from being over-watered. Just can't let them get to the point that they are too dry...

Hope that helps some... the experts should be along soon :)

How many plants are we talking? If its a small amount then doing the hand water thing will work fine. If a large number, invest in a timer to run dripline/sprinklers/soaker hoses ect. I have 100 plants and run dripline. Watering every 8hrs at half a gallon each time. I have pots and plants in ground and they are happy as a clam right now.

Oh, and in NO WAY will I claim expert status!

No schedule needed, Know what your plant wants and water when needed! Examples: Wilting leaves or say its been awhile since you last watered and you think your plants are about to wilt, then give them a little drink. Pick up your pots(if in pots) and see how light or heavy they are. The best water is rain water so let the rain do its work. But if they are getting to much rain then move them to shelter or cover them with something for awhile.

well im in des moines so im sure we get about the same weather

i water mine every other night and so far ive had no problems. then of course take a small break after a rainfall. but im growing multiple species and my method seems fine. i dont load the water by the gallons on them id say i give them each a half gallon and they love it

Back