• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best way to start my 2012 peppers season

I thought I would ask the pros the best way to do this. So here is my situation. I want to start about 50 pepper plants indoors next year, then transplant them outdoors. I plan on planting them in my garden no later then the first of May. So, i was thinking i would need to start them indoors by late Jan.
First question, would that be the correct timing?
Second question, what is the best and cheapest way to do this? I was thinking that i could start my seeds in them little jiffy things you add the water to. then after they start growing, put them in some can of cup under a light. I was thinking with the light that i could just make a frame to hold the light up on with maybe foil to reflect more light and heat. Another problem i thought about, making sure it would be warm enough for my seeds to even germinate. Any tips or ideas?

I start mine with the coffee filter method, if ya need heat, get a thermometer and think creative... top of the water heater works well for me in cooler months. So does the floor in front of the fridge....

what varieties have you selected to grow? that may play a part in how and when to germinate.

These are the ones i am planning to start indoors. With the time most of them have to mature is the reason why i am starting early in Jan. Just looking for tips and ideas.

Red Trinidad Scorpion
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Aji Yellows
Wild Brazil
Wiri Wiri,
White Bullet Habanero
Dado De Moco Red
Yellow Fatalii
Zavory
Yellow Trinidad Perfume

I start mine with the coffee filter method, if ya need heat, get a thermometer and think creative... top of the water heater works well for me in cooler months. So does the floor in front of the fridge....

I am assuming with the filters you put the seeds between the filters and keep damp until they sprout, correct?

I am assuming with the filters you put the seeds between the filters and keep damp until they sprout, correct?

Everything on your list appeared to be chinense when I looked it over, although I don't recognise Dado De Moco Red. I started my chinense and baccatum for the 2011 season on Feb 13th. I got a good harvest, but I bet I could have gotten another round of peppers ripened if I'd started in Jan. However, I'm in zone 4, quite a bit different than your climate.

My experience has been they germ a little better alternating damp and almost going dry. Too wet and they rot in an instant. I've done the coffee filter method as well as planting in 72 cell nursery flats with sterile seed starting mix. I use a heating mat for bottom heat which makes a lot of difference for me. My results have been about the same with either method as long as they're kept warm.

Thanks for the advice. I guess i will get a heating pad, which i figured i would. However, not sure which method i will try. I will prob go with the damp cloth, then just move them when they start sprouting..... And the Dado De Moco Red pepper, i have never heard of it myself. I found some info on the computer, but not much at all. It was a gift from AjiJoe with the rest of my seeds.
Thanks again

Back