• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Better Pepper Germination Locations

Hi there.  Just wondering about pepper germination.  House is set at 74.  Greenhouse in south facing window.  Is it better to have my pepper seeds in the greenhouse or atop the fridge for germinating.  I do have peppers started from in the greenhouse but germination rate is lower than I would like.  So what is your opinion on better of the 2 locations.  Also to add I am up here in Canada with lots of the white stuff.  Thank you.

Hey hey obchili, I have had far better success germinating on top of my router and fridge; more specifically I do a 24 soak in 0.3% H202 (1:10 of H202:Water) then place the seeds in a moist coffee filter which goes into a ziploc bag sealed half way. The bags go on my router or fridge. Usually the roots pop within a week depending on the variety, after which I plant into coco coir in seed trays to await hooks. The seed trays sit on a heat mat, however I have used solo cups on top of my fridge as well.

Good luck!

[SIZE=11pt]Lots of variables but I will try and be of some help,  since I don't know what are they germinating in Tray, Pot, Baggie Etc. My opinion is put it where it is the warmest all around including the bottom. So if the fridge is warm on top then my vote is for the fridge.  I am assuming that we are not talking about a lot so they should fit. [/SIZE] Then when they hook get them some light.

Sorry, I thought I had added that part.  They are started between damp coffee filters in a zip lock bag.  And as of this afternoon, the bags are sitting in a dollar store aluminum pan on top of the fridge.  Again, sorry for the missing information.

The warmest of the two would be my suggestion. What are you germinating them in, soil, paper towel, etc? I wouldn't recommend a window sill especially in canada this time of year.

they don't care about light yet, so whichever is warmer and more moist. 
I do ziploc bag, paper towel, in cabinet with my computer. gets up to 80 in there so they are happy.

Ok.  Just an update.  My uncle was just over and said to take my little coffee filters with seeds in between out from the bags and put them in the neat little sushi tray from the old lady's dinner and set it atop my china cabinet.  He suggested atop the fridge, but he forgot for a split second I have a curious fat cat here that accesses the top of the fridge and cupboards frequently!  So atop the cabinet they went.  I will give it a try.  He is the one that started me on the peppers to begin with.  Only Caribbean Reds and some sort of Chili.  Well see what he started.....

willard3 said:
Don't let the temp go above 85F......measure it, don't guess.
Thank you, but no need to worry about measuring the temperature as the thermostat is set at 74, they do not get any direct sunlight for lengths of time, and I got about 4 feet of snow all around outside.  Thank you for the tip though, as this may have been why some of my others did not germinate earlier while in the greenhouse.

willard3 said:
Don't let the temp go above 85F......measure it, don't guess.
Its this the cut off? I put mine in a cabinet under the sink that has a heat duct under it. The first batch did great but the second not so hot.. It got super cold and the heater was running full blast and i thought i may have cooked them. The soil hit 96 a time or two. Now question 2.. If that's the case and they got too hot how do they live ouside when temps get hotter?

Back