• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Bhut Jolakia/Naga pollination question

I was forced into clicking around and reading commercial sites about peppers this morning since we had a rain shower and you lot were too selfish to get up and post for my entertainment. As I wandered from the Big Jim contest rules over to http://www.chileseeds.co.uk , I read this:

These seeds can be tricky to germinate and do benefit from the germination solution and a germination temperature of between 80°F and 89°F. The flowers also benefit from hand pollination with a paint brush.

Are any of you hand pollinating your plants? Are you getting good production without hand pollination? My plant is flowering nicely, but I haven't paid any special attention to whether it's producing pods.

*glances out the window*

I guess as soon as this shower stops I need to check if the flowers are going to pods or not.

I'm getting great production without any hand pollination and very few insects but early on there was a lot of flower drop-off.

POTAWIE said:
I'm getting great production without any hand pollination and very few insects but early on there was a lot of flower drop-off.

Yeah, that's a great picture. I did go and look, had to pull up some of the lemon basil that was sprouting around it; but I did see a few tiny little pepper starts.

Man, if you ever need to lure bees away from something you're trying to keep from cross-pollinating, plant lemon basil. I had to have very strong words with about a dozen bumblebees that were nectaring on the basil flowers.

I have a question about the naga's. I have pods growing upright & kinda looking like thai's but the pics of nagas I've seen growing from what others have posted here, the pods are hanging down.
do the pods start out growing upright & kinda narrow but over time the pods switch to hanging for the rest of the growth & fill out & stop looking like a narrow thai.

POTAWIE said:
Must be that time of year. I was going to inquire about the very same issue (unassisted pollination rates, drop-off, etc...).
Never mind...:D

chilehunter said:
I have a question about the naga's. I have pods growing upright & kinda looking like thai's but the pics of nagas I've seen growing from what others have posted here, the pods are hanging down.
do the pods start out growing upright & kinda narrow but over time the pods switch to hanging for the rest of the growth & fill out & stop looking like a narrow thai.

Sounds strange, they usually hang down right from the start.

Pam said:
...Are any of you hand pollinating your plants? Are you getting good production without hand pollination?...

I've been a bit impatient and have been hand pollinating the plants I'm more anxious about (ie. nagas). Others that I have not hand pollinated have a good number of (still green) peppers so I guess I didn't really need to bother.

One interesting thing I found regarding my nagas and an old thread debating whether nagas prefered more humidity because they are from India not New Mexico...all my naga dorset & naga moriches are still small (about 4")...all except one which is about double the height and has leaves about twice as big as the others. They are all "raised planter" grown and this one is on the far end, furthest from where the sun comes up. Couldn't figure out what was different about this one until I was doing the laundry the other day and then it hit me. Before I built the raised planter there I used to have a raspberry bush I planted there. It didn't survive long because the exit pipe for my basement dryer came out of the house right behind it. The raised planter offers a bit of protection from the steam but it still wafts over the planter box near the naga. I'm also growing an asian vegetable that has a tropical origin and have one on each end of another step of the planter box. The one on the non-steam end is about 3" tall. The one on the steam end is almost a foot long.

Something to experiment with.

chilehunter said:

My Bhut Jolokia has started out long & thin. Kinda bullet shaped. I guess it will round out later. Does yours look like this? :

IMG_1085.jpg

RedThumb said:
...all my naga dorset & naga moriches are still small (about 4")...all except one which is about double the height and has leaves about twice as big as the others...

Here is a size comparison:

IMG_1084.jpg

"Steamed" pepper is on the far left.

philipperv & redthumb - yea my 2 naga's look like yours in the pic (the narrow leaf version) they called it the naga jolokia, I just assumed they got the name wrong since it seems like the words of the names are all mixed up by who is calling the plant - bhut jolokia, naga dorset, naga morich etc...
I have another one but its called bhut jolokia the leaves kinda look like a mix between narrow/big leaf.

as for the naga jolokia strain what will I expect from this strain ? will they still be really hot, are they a faster strain for growing & ripening, prolific (which I have alot of pods on my 2) ???

I'll post some pics in about a week (loaned the digi to someone)

I just read the link you posted about the naga jolokia ;) not as hot & it sounds like its not a great chile to grow, why ? or did I just misunderstood the last part ?

"The real deal is a Chinense, but there are also Annuum & Frutescen versions grown across the world which are no where near as hot."

Ok, first thing to do is to determine which species yours is.

Here's good site with descriptions of the different species. http://www.g6csy.net/chile/index.html Just click on the species in the menu on the left.

" The anuum version is sold under the name PC-1 in the US. The 'real deal' is reputed to be even hotter than the offical world record holder the Red Savina Habanero although this is open to much debate and a rather disappointing variety in trials.."

Yeah, that's pretty fuzzy. I would take it to mean if you have the Chinense it's a decent pepper, but not nearly as hot as a Bhut Jolakia or a Naga Morich. If you have the Anuum, you have to worry about if it's the disappointing variety in trials, or the Red Savina is.

Philipperv said:
I hope i'm wrong but what it looks like you have there is a Naga Jolokia (Tezpur) chili. A part of the confusion among the various Naga strains.

The Bhut Jolokia seeds I'm growing are from NMSU so I would think that even if it is not the real Bhut, it should have the potential of being 1,000,000+ S.U. (we hope).

Anyone else growing the Bhut from NMSU?

RedThumb said:
The Bhut Jolokia seeds I'm growing are from NMSU so I would think that even if it is not the real Bhut, it should have the potential of being 1,000,000+ S.U. (we hope).

Anyone else growing the Bhut from NMSU?

I am growing seeds from NMSU and assumed they were the real deal Bhut Jolokia. No flowers or fruit on any of mine yet.

herne_the_hunter said:
I am growing seeds from NMSU and assumed they were the real deal Bhut Jolokia. No flowers or fruit on any of mine yet.

I got one plant from Cross Country. I do have flowers, and a couple of nascent pods, but none big enough to be able to tell what the peppers are going to look like.

If it's not raining this afternoon I'll try and take some pictures and we can compare leaves and nodes.

phil - your 2nd link doesnt say much about the naga jolokia/pc-1 ?
& thats BS!! the naga jolokia isnt hotter than a tabasco, from your 1st link, well WTF I'm bummed that its not a really hot chile, heck with the name "naga jolokia" I thought the heat would be insane since the other strains that use the words "naga/bhut/jolokia/dorset" are insane.
& how do you find out which version you have (Chinense, Annuum, Frutescen) theres no place that shows you the difference in them.

Back