• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Bhut Jolokia Grenade

http://www.ananova.com/News/story/sm_3718695.html

Cool story, and behold the awesomeness of this shoop

1573886.jpg

So, crowd control?
or did they sneak into Neil's place and steal his newest condiment delivery system?

Cool, or rather hot. Who believes that seeds have that much heat?
Neil uses the spoon of doom not the grenade of death!

I've been tear gassed a few times, not nice thing to go through. but the symptoms don't last very long. i think i'd rather go another round with CS gas than that powder grenade, sounds nasty and very effective.

Grimus said:
I've been tear gassed a few times, not nice thing to go through. but the symptoms don't last very long. i think i'd rather go another round with CS gas than that powder grenade, sounds nasty and very effective.

I won't ask what you've been up to.....;)

Could be very effective on terrorism unless your someone like that indian lady who eats them like popcorn and rubs them in her eyes.[video=youtube;qD-0fEvJv2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD-0fEvJv2c&feature=fvw[/video]

Congrats Skydiver on your 1000 post

Likewise!

Worst thing to do is throw water on your face....

Hoo Ha!

Excerpt...

"The chilli grenade is a non-toxic weapon and when used would force a terrorist to come out of his hideout," said lead scientist R.B. Srivastava at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation.

Sure, unless is was Nova, who'd probably request a packet of chips and a beer...

dang.... beat me to posting the link...

Well last year when I was making my Jolokia powder I was soooooo stoooopid and took the lid off of the food processor right after turning it off.... OMG I was sneezing and coughing for about 10-15 minutes and my eyes burned for nearly 45 minutes. I never knew the human body could produce that much phlem in that short of time....

So this sounds awesome!

It's my understanding that the Bhut Scolleville rating is just over 1 million or there-abouts. Standard civilian pepper spray is aproximately 3 million and police issue pepper spray is about 5.3 million units. I'm thinking that whilst the powder is an effective deterrant, I'd stick with the synthetically produced numbers. They could quite possibly make the riot control grenades with a powderd version of the synthetically produced oils and thus be much more effective. I say leave the peppers for eating ;)

Maligator, ever ground up dehydrated Bhut pods in your house and accidentally inhaled a few specs of powder? I think just ground up dried chilies would be perfect for this application because they would stick to the mucus membranes better than the syn stuff. Probably alot cheaper as well.

Chemist here (and a lousy one) but if this stuff is a powder it will stay in contact for considerably longer than a liquid mircrodrop and will spread less once contact is made. I have seen this stuff called fumed silica, it is a very very fine powder and when you open a container, it mists into the air. If they can powderize the bhuts fine enough, this will be a bad ass weapon.

I've also been hit with the tear gas and it was not fun! Needless to say, I ran like hell! It gets in all of your airways and your whole chest and nasal passages burn feel like they're being hit with a blow torch!

And yeah, it is extremely cheap and easy to extract capsaicin from fresh or dried peppers with reasonable yield so I imagine this is why they would choose this route over synthesizing it.

ipreferamediumroast said:
Chemist here (and a lousy one) but if this stuff is a powder it will stay in contact for considerably longer than a liquid mircrodrop and will spread less once contact is made. I have seen this stuff called fumed silica, it is a very very fine powder and when you open a container, it mists into the air. If they can powderize the bhuts fine enough, this will be a bad ass weapon.

You are in another sense making my point for me. You see the duration of contact you speak of is counter-intuitive as a repellant. You run the risk of hospitalization as opposed to dispersion. I also think that a commercial grow operation for peppers to produce the numbers needed for stockpiles must cost more than a lab which is able to produce a much more intense synthetic version as they are already in place and doing so. Also the "spread less" arguement is also lacking in foresight (not being a jerk) let me explain: microdrops as you desrcibe them, will fall to the ground after intial dispersion and not have the possibility of being caught in the wind and blown all over the place after the acheived result has taken place, which was to disperse the crowd. Just my observations.

Back