• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhut Jolokia hydroponic Grow Log

Hello all, i've just stumbled upon this site and it looks like a good place to present my grow log in progress.

I'm currently growing Bhut Jolokia in hydroponics system with light nutrients and compost tea.

I'm using 5 gallon bucket top-drip system with 2.5 gallons of water in each bucket. Airstones are also present in the bucket for a DWC type effect also.

Hydraton is the medium in my net-pot-lids.

Under 500watt equivalent CFL, and 100 watt incandescent (for warmth)

My peppers are currently on week 7.

I am trying to learn as much about indoor cultivation as possible, and hopefully can start hydroponic greenhouses in the future for lage-scale pepper production.

I wish to try to cross-breed peppers in controlled envoronments in the future also.

Here are my seeds @ start

IMAG0126.jpg

I used lemon juice and water to bring the rockwool cubes to a ph of 5.5 - 6

I then placed under 100watt incandescent bulb for heat / light untill sprouts appeared.

IMAG0165.jpg

Once roots appeared in bottom of rockwool, I transplanted into the hydroponic setup

IMAG0173.jpg

Here is about 1 week in the hydro setup

IMAG0192.jpg

Heres my lady at about 4 weeks

IMAG0226.jpg

Here is a comparison from about 5-6 weeks. A good show of heavy growth in 5 days.

5day.jpg

And here is my latest picture at 7 weeks. Very heavy growth along the stalk. I have defoliated 10 or so leaves to allow air/light to hit the others. I have made 1 clone so far, still waiting to see how that turns out.

IMAG0305.jpg

roots! going crazyyyy!

IMAG0302.jpg

I have some T scorpions coming in 3 differeent varietys. i will keep posting as I continue on. Thanks for checking it out, hopefully i'll be successful!

Thanks mikeinsc! I have read around and see that a lot of plants drop flowers, some more than others. I have been watching closely, and flowers seem to drop before they open, or right after. I have a lot of flowers that have opened, and the stamen has protruded out enough for me to brush with a small fine brush. Those flowers are still strong and hopefully getting polllinated, I think they will stick around and become pods!

Usually how long from flower untill it starts to form a pod? I'm hopin to see the begginnings of a pepper by new years...*fingaz crozzd*

It always seems like it takes forever before fruit begin to set but I couldn't tell you what the average time is. I've never paid close attention to it but my gut is telling me two weeks or less. Capsicum flowers are perfect flowers meaning that they can self pollinate. The paint brush is helping I'm sure but might not be needed. Personally, I give the plants a quick vigorous shake whenever and they seem to do fine.

+1 with what mikeinsc has to say. Peppers do not actually have to have pollen transferred flower to flower(each flower is both male and female unlike several other veggies), they just require that the pollen gets disturbed and transfers from the "stamen" (outer ring of the stuff in the flower) to the one and only "pistil" in the very center of the flower. I think most poeple just shake their plants once and a while, or flick the stems near the flowers. Quite often you'll see pollen dump out of the flower doing this. It will increase your yields for outside plants as well.

the brush will definately work. but a lot more time consuming when you have a bajillion flowers tucked in everywhere throughout several varieties. So just a heads up, each and every flower has the chance to be a pepper, Even if alone. Cheers. and best of luck.

your plants are lookin awesome

Oh and if you are actually trying to breed your own new type of pepper, Here is a step by step method to get pollen from one strain onto the pistil of another strain without it getting any of its own pollen. Great Link although i would add that after you label the flower with the cross name, I'd cover it with one of those fine mesh bags to prevent any new pollen accidentally landing on the open pistil without the petals. atleast until the pepper starts growin.

http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

well, there isn't much to update. I was trying to run fowering nutrients, but I figured out that this fower-dropping issue is probably enviromental and I should just veg them untill I can do something else

My plan is now tho, to get my plants all bushy and huge and then to place them outdoors in spring,

I have a few seeds coming in the mail soon I hope and I am planning on starting a few plants, then transfering into 3x3 foot holes dug in a field with 40% perlite mixed into the backfill. then make a PVC greenhouse to cover with ample room and hopefully get some fresh soil peppers this year. I'm also going to be trying to work on a system for DWc outdoors to go along with the soil. If I get the opportunity to make a greenhouse, I'm going to incorporate a fish-pond in one end, to use the water for my plants, and to help humidify the greenhouse.

anyways, i'll have some pics soon but basically all my plants are being cut back because they are rampant, dropping flowers all over. I need more heat and a flower light spectrum. so outdoors for spring is my goal now.

well, still growin tons of flowers, but no fruits. Roots are lookin insane, I think i'll have to cut a few roots off to keep them healthy. They take up the entire 5 gallon bucket pretty much now. Everything is fine, except no fruits, flowers drop.

sncvpv.jpg

Nothing at the moment really mostly water and a little dynagrow. Ppm is like 250. They grow really fast with more nutes but I'm out of space...

First Pepper!

219atmo.jpg

I have been just keeping a regular water feeding with some light dose nutes for a while now, and I just found this guy the other day.

I"m going to increase my hand pollination methods and hopefully get some more goin.

I also have been doing some deep water 'cloning' with a lot of cuttings from my main plant. I have a few that have rooted, and just started a bunch more yesterday. It's basically a small DWC setup, but just no nutrients , straight water.

I'll get some pics of that up soon.

nice looking plant you got there. I would imagine that something is just not right with your system. It could be not enough oxygen, not enough light or something with the nutes. What is the temperature in that room where the plants is?

I have some plants in hydro and they have a ton a flower buds. I think mine is doing so good because of the LED lights that I have over them. I hope my plant doesn't drop the leaves but we shall see.

Good that I found your thread I will be following along

Good job! My brainstrain dwc plant was having water temp issus as its outside but its got 8pods growing now! And my roots are terrible.but now the temps are.in check i have seens some new healthy roots appearing! Keep up the good.work i am using GH flora nova bloom and it helps keep the PH stable. I get abou 1.0PH swing every 5 days right now

lbqr4.jpg

First Pepper!!!!!!

Woot!!1

I'm excited to finally see this day, but I have a long way to go before I'm harvestin' like I want to. I'm stoked tho.

well, still growin tons of flowers, but no fruits. Roots are lookin insane, I think i'll have to cut a few roots off to keep them healthy. They take up the entire 5 gallon bucket pretty much now. Everything is fine, except no fruits, flowers drop.

sncvpv.jpg

And this is why I plan on growing hydro next yr! If I have the space lol. I think I will make room for at least one plant lol

Pepper now is very big.
wa0x9j.jpg

still DWC but moved outdoors for the season. Put out about 100 peppers at first, then is now putting about 200 out for a second run. The first ones were smaller and finished quickly, but these second set is very big and gnarly with some strange formed peppers. The DWC is still only controlled by one air stone, and the bucket is not connected to any thing, just a bucket. The water temps get in the 80's sometimes, I hate it, but it still works. Once I get more money I can make my system better, but I work with what I have got.

Luckily, this thing is a beautiful monster.

I'm currently also working on a system that converts soil seedlings into hydroponic ready plants.

That's freakin awesome! I personally haven't had much luck with hydro outside. Every time I go from my indoor tent outside my plants die. They're in a covered area, ph and water temp is fine ... I think it's just the overall Texas heat they're not used to. I transplanted a couple of outdoor potted plants to DWC outdoors and they seem to be rocking. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see how much more bigger this monster gets.

Pete

you have definitely set the bar with that plant, mine are a few days past 3 months from seed, getting some flower drop, but do have a pod already

Back