• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Bhut Jolokia leaf curl

Hi all,

My plants have been crusing along nicely but today when I checked on them I noticed that the leaves are curling upward.
I did a bit of googling and it can point towards viral disease or insect infestation, however all 5 plants have reacted at the same time
and I have checked THOROUGHLY for pests and could not see any signs of them.

I have changed two things in the last 3 days though;

1.) Introduced them to more direct sunshine, from 4 hours a day to 7-8, and the temp has been slightly warmer around 24-27C

2.) Added an organic humus compost mix to the top soil, watered in thoroughly then watered again at dusk 2 days later.

bj-leafcurl-01.jpg

bj-leafcurl-02.jpg

Could it be heat stress or a nutrient overload?

any ideas? Thanks!

Get some trace elements and yourself a beer. Those plants are lovin it leave them the f%&k alone after you use the trace elements of coarse. :D
Nice work!

I'm not an expert but thinking perhaps the leaf curl is due to too much water. If you thoroughly watered it and it hasn't been too hot then they probably didn't dry out over those two days. Even if the top looked dry it could have still been too wet underneath the top layer. If you then water in the late arvo then the pots are going to be wet all night. The best time to water is early morning so your plants have a chance to dry out a bit during the day and not stay wet at night. Also you want to make sure not to wet the leaves at night as this promotes fungal and bacterial problems.
You can allow them to dry out to just before wilting or wilting and they will be fine. You don't want to go too far in the opposite direction though and if you muck them around too much with inconsistent watering all the time then that could stress them out also.

I'm not an expert but thinking perhaps the leaf curl is due to too much water.

Well that might just be the prob, I was watering them at dusk but after adding the compost I decided to water them at night for some bloody reason, hey I don't know why just a case of
temporary insanity I guess, well I hope it's temporary :) Also I was watering around the stem before but the last two times I have flooded them completely, oops!
Well no water tonight and will let them dry up a bit and see how that goes!

Cheers!

Well that might just be the prob, I was watering them at dusk but after adding the compost I decided to water them at night for some bloody reason, hey I don't know why just a case of
temporary insanity I guess, well I hope it's temporary :) Also I was watering around the stem before but the last two times I have flooded them completely, oops!
Well no water tonight and will let them dry up a bit and see how that goes!

Cheers!

Yeah I think the water could be the problem then. Also if you notice that they start to drop leaves then that would be from the overwatering but I think that happens over a longer period of time and sounds like yours has just been a short time?

Ah Ha, I just read that HUMUS compost can hold large amounts of water and is a great wetting agent,
that makes sense then! Time for lots of sunshine!

you should reduce irrigation,expose more sunlight..moreover your plants shows broader leaves..which indicates more of vegetative growth.

Pretty much what all of them have said. Cut back on the water a bit..give some good sun and a shot of nutrients. The bubbles would indicate a need for a bit of calcium also..other than that do what nova said...have a beer, sit back and leave them alone :)

Back