• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, and Dorset Naga...Oh my!

I borrowed this from Wiki's page about Naga's - I think it would relate to all peppers.

"The effect of climate on the Scoville rating of Naga Jolokia peppers is dramatic. A 2005 Indian study that compared the percentage availability of capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin in Naga Jolokia peppers grown in both Tezpur (Assam) and Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh) showed that the heat of the pepper is decreased by over 50% in Gwalior's climate (similar temperatures but less humid, much lower rainfall)."

So upping the humidity and watering should increase the scovilles.

bentalphanerd said:
I borrowed this from Wiki's page about Naga's - I think it would relate to all peppers.

So upping the humidity and watering should increase the scovilles.

That's just the opposite of most peppers. Hot and dry conditions produce hotter peppers is the rule of thumb I've always gone by, and in my experience, as much as one can experience "dry" here in the muggy mildew state, it's held true. I wonder if that was a typo?

habman said:
I'm growing hot jalapenos. I have no clue how hot they are compared to regular jalapeno.
In another forum a guy did a cross between a jalapeno and a habanero.

Does the pod look like a jalapeƱo?

Pam said:
That's just the opposite of most peppers. Hot and dry conditions produce hotter peppers is the rule of thumb I've always gone by, and in my experience, as much as one can experience "dry" here in the muggy mildew state, it's held true. I wonder if that was a typo?

They are talking about a very tropical area - so hothouse like temps of 40 C + and humidity wouldn't get much below 90%.

Pam said:
I agree with you Pam.

bentalphanerd said:
They are talking about a very tropical area - so hothouse like temps of 40 C + and humidity wouldn't get much below 90%.

90% humidity is pretty status quo around these parts from late June through August, the temps are usually in the high 90's(30's)most of that time. If you checked with the folks from Florida to Eastern Texas, I suspect they'd report ever hotter and muggier weather for a longer part of the season. And yet, it's places like hot and dry New Mexico that are know for producing the hottest peppers in the US.

Pam said:
...it's places like hot and dry New Mexico that are know for producing the hottest peppers in the US.

I've been told that it's a myth that hot weather produces hotter chilies but I found in my limited experience (I only started growing 'em last year) that the weeks were the temps went over 90F, I got the hottest yield. And I know it was those weeks that they ripened cause I eat 'em as soon as each one ripens.:)

Actually, one day when only one was ripe (and it wasn't enough to cook with), I couldn't wait to eat it and tried it dipped in chocolate.:shocked: Woo hoo, new favorite.

as for getting the hottest chile, I always thought that high temps & less watering for the plant produces hotter chiles ? I know over watering gave my habs some funky fungus inside the pod, but otherwise the pod looked normal, so I just ate the flesh after washing it.

Habman - whenever someone asks this question " does your avatar move every now and then or are my eyes playing tricks on me? "
LIE :shocked: mess with them & say no it doesnt move, so they start thinking if they're seeing things :) & FYI I did the same thing I thought I was seeing things the 1st couple times.

I did some checking - (i dont have a life ) Tezpur has 4 times the average monthly rainfall as Gwalior. They are of course almost dry for most of the year and then build up to monsoon (june, july, aug) Tezpur has twice the rainfall of Gwalior. Annual Avge Humidity (I'm betting this is what makes pods get hotter)- Tezpur 83%, Gwalior 57%. Temperatures for both regions averaged around 30C.

chilehunter said:
Habman - whenever someone asks this question " does your avatar move every now and then or are my eyes playing tricks on me? "
LIE :shocked: mess with them & say no it doesnt move, so they start thinking if they're seeing things :) & FYI I did the same thing I thought I was seeing things the 1st couple times.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Dunno what it is but my Bih Jolokia is taking forever to grow...3 months & its still only 1/2" tall. Must have a great root system building there or something.

bentalphanerd said:
Dunno what it is but my Bih Jolokia is taking forever to grow...3 months & its still only 1/2" tall. Must have a great root system building there or something.

I grew Devil's Tongue peppers from seeds for several years, and I remember that they took forever, too. They lagged several weeks behind other peppers planted at the same time. It wasn't slower germination, they grew slower.

So...to get back to the original question....whats the verdict? is a Jolokia a Naga?

I only ask because my Bih Jolokia is now 4 months old (it took 6 weeks to sprout & 4 months of growth)& is now all of 2 inches high....and its roots are growing out the bottom of a 6" high pot....i hate it already.

Back