Bhut Jolokia Orange - only blossoms

Dear All,

I rescued my favorite pepper plant  from sure death last autumn and I took it home. Local winters are  usually mild (approximatelly about 0 °C) but is is enough to kill my plant. Although it seems to be in good condition, I can see only blossoms but no peppers. I tried to "emulate" insect and pollinate it manually but without any success.
May it suffer with insuficient  amount of sun light ? Make it sense to save pepper plant ? They should be able to live more years and produce peppers whole year, don´t they ?

:welcome: from Denmark.
I haven't been growing peppers for very long but you should be able to overwinter your plant. I very much hope so because I've got five plants that I'm hoping will come back to life again.
Some of the other members know a lot more about it than I.

Hi and welcome.
Conditions have to be right for fruit to set. This includes light, temperature, water, nutrients, temperature changes from day to night, etc. I would guess it is just too soon in the season for your location, as it is most places. For now, don't worry about it. Come spring, you should start to see fruit.

Thank you for your replies :-) BTW, what about seeds ? According to most of my friends, it does not make any sense to store own pepper seeds because I am not able to achieve ideal conditions for my plants. It means my seeds and next generation of my plants are supposed to be generally weaker. Is really better to buy new seeds from sellers ? I do not ask due to money. I am only curious whether it is not rumor spreaded by  sellers of seeds :-)

Liber81 said:
Thank you for your replies :-) BTW, what about seeds ? According to most of my friends, it does not make any sense to store own pepper seeds because I am not able to achieve ideal conditions for my plants. It means my seeds and next generation of my plants are supposed to be generally weaker. Is really better to buy new seeds from sellers ? I do not ask due to money. I am only curious whether it is not rumor spreaded by  sellers of seeds :-)
No this is not true at all. While growing pods may be affected by growing conditions, seeds and the genetic material they contain are not (assuming you don't burn them, freeze them, x-ray them, etc). It is the genetics that is passed on by the seeds, nothing to do with the previous seasons growing conditions.

+1 for post #5. 

Most everybody saves seeds for sure.  No need to worry about depletion, chances are the "weakness" someone experienced was brought about by other conditions.

Best of luck with your season and welcome to THP.

Mike

Fruit set for peppers will generally be reduced or not even happen at temperatures below 15C, so give it a little more time until temperatures warm up a bit and you should start seeing pods. At temperatures above 32C pollen will become sterile and you will experience flower drop.

Thanks to all participants here, my jolokia is healthy again. You can see its reward for good care on the photo :-)

A.JPG

I had to cut off all ill leaves with yellow spots and black dots. Result was terrible - my jolokia had only almost bare branches and a few leaves. Than I added ordinary fertilizer for peppers and I waited....
Ill leaves had to suck its power because without them new young leaves were appearing very quickly and current state you can see on the photo.
God bless this forum and all people here :-)

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

I would like to show you an important update of state of my Jolokia. As you can see, the first hot pepper will be ready soon :-)

DSCN0306.jpg

Back