• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Bhut Jolokia seedlings browning in leaves? Photos inside.

First time grower.

I have 5 BJ seedlings and started noticing browning on leaf edges and even had one leaf fall off. Been exposed to mostly full sun in South Florida. I put them in shade mid-late afternoon. Water once a day late afternoon. Soil is pretty dry from morning till late afternoon watering.

Some of the leaves look healthy but i'm not sure whats causing this:

EUR1h6m.jpg

3HsaKaZ.jpg

fkPfmBW.jpg

WcJjsUo.jpg

0xfnO76.jpg

166JVxa.jpg

IMO The soil doesnt look very good, I'd add more perlite and dirt to it, I think they are a little to young/small for full sun just yet, give them covered am sun for a little while then bump it up until they are big enough to receive full am/pm sun. When did you feed them last and what potting soil are you using?

Once a day watering is way too much, especially for a C.Chinense, like the Bhut Jolokia. Its native climate is India, which is very hot, humid, and with dry topsoil. Try tailoring your soil to match the native climate as much as possible, and like megahot said, add some more porous and water retaining material, like perlite or vermiculite, as well as some good compost and a little peat moss.

Only water a couple or so times per week, and don't put such small seedlings in full sun, they will not fare very well most of the time.

IMO The soil doesnt look very good, I'd add more perlite and dirt to it, I think they are a little to young/small for full sun just yet, give them covered am sun for a little while then bump it up until they are big enough to receive full am/pm sun. When did you feed them last and what potting soil are you using?

I didn't grow them from seed. I picked up these seedlings from a local vendor who has been growing BJs for 10 years. (brucesghostpepperz). I have only owned them for a few days now, so I have not fed them yet and the soil you see above is his so I don't know what is in it. I just assumed it was better since hes an experienced jolokia grower.

Once a day watering is way too much, especially for a C.Chinense, like the Bhut Jolokia. Its native climate is India, which is very hot, humid, and with dry topsoil. Try tailoring your soil to match the native climate as much as possible, and like megahot said, add some more porous and water retaining material, like perlite or vermiculite, as well as some good compost and a little peat moss.

Only water a couple or so times per week, and don't put such small seedlings in full sun, they will not fare very well most of the time.

When I picked the seedlings up a few days ago, the vendor had the soil slightly moist. So I figured at the end of the day, water a little to get that slight moist texture. Today I haven't watered yet, and I can stick my finger 4 inches to the bottom of the pot and everything is bone dry. You are saying to leave them that dry? I have other potted peppers of different varieties and when I let them get that dry they droop so bad it looks like leaves are going to fall off.

Over watering IMO. And just a heads up, no fertilizer until 6-8" tall, unless its compost tea.

Get a oscillating fan on them ASAP and you can prevent damping off.

Alright. I didn't water them today but I did lightly spray them with water before reading your guys opinions on the over watering. Definitely will back of with any form of water.

Is a fan really necessary?

If the soil is dry to the bottom of the pot, they need water. Spraying is not the preferred method of water delivery, you want to keep the soil surface dry to discourage damping off fungus. Watering from the bottom is usually best, but not strictly necessary with a fast draining soil.

Alright. I didn't water them today but I did lightly spray them with water before reading your guys opinions on the over watering. Definitely will back of with any form of water.

Is a fan really necessary?

If they are inside a fan will strengthen them. If outside then your fine, assuming they are in a place with air circulation.

Your picture is exactly what overwatered plants look like. Go to the search function of this site and search "overwater" to compare other folks' pictures to yours.

Repot those things into some QUALITY medium and give them a dilluted feed. They will thank you for it and rebound almost instantly. Check the ph of your water also.

And just a heads up, no fertilizer until 6-8" tall, unless its compost tea.

Bah...... I have chinense that are only 6-8" tall and have 10-12 sets of leaves. Not all species have the same habits. That is the kind of info that causes 10 new threads based on deficiencies.

Back