• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut Jolokia?

I got some seeds germinating been about 5 days now.Plan on grow them in a hydroponic drip system.What ph should i try to keep my reservoirs at?And what is the max ppm for this variety??;)

Hello toasty, doesn't sound like this is your first run with the hydro. Set your ph to 6.0 and your ppm at 450-550 and you will do fine. No reason to max nutrients with chiles. Welcome to the hot pepper dot com.

Thanks for the info.Been growing in hydro for about 4 years. love this site.Grown cherrytomato,cabbage, lettuce but never peppers in a hydroponic system before.

Pure blend pro veg
Pure blend pro flower
Liquid karma

But i did pick up some Dutch Master (Advance) line grow A&B last weekend im dieing to try....

Im actually planning a hydroponic grow of some Bhuts and Lemondrops. I hear that they dont come out as spicy because you cant really water stress them but Im still curious.

toastynoodles said:
With a ph meter and a tds or ec meter.:hell:

Did some reading on EC vs. TDS meters and they say that the EC meters give a more accurate reading. True/False?

Do the EC meters give you a number so you know the PPM's or is it only the TDS meter that does that? It seems like when people discuss nutes they refer to PPM's. Sorry, never used either devices before.. just a PH meter.

Alex818 said:
Did some reading on EC vs. TDS meters and they say that the EC meters give a more accurate reading. True/False?

Do the EC meters give you a number so you know the PPM's or is it only the TDS meter that does that? It seems like when people discuss nutes they refer to PPM's. Sorry, never used either devices before.. just a PH meter.

I don't know much about the subject but...
I believe a EC and TDS meter read the same thing, but the TDS one converts the reading to PPMs. If you get the EC I believe you can just multiply it by 500 to get the PPM. Not positive though. Hopefully some of the hydro guys will chime in.

I use an ec metre but my nutrients don't give you a target e.c. They give you an amount to add in ml. Then I take a reading with my e.c meter and keep note of it so I can top up back to that level.

What do your nutrients say? Could help you make the decision.

Chris

If you get a ppm meter many places on the web have ppm/EC conversion charts.

Here's one I have:

EC_PPMConversionChart.jpg

I use a milwaukee tds 75 meter.The meter is a ms/mc of 0.5ppm which equals 500ppm for 1EC some meters use the 0.64 or 0.70 conversion to equal 1EC.Thats why its easier to explan nutes strength in tds then EC.

willard3 said:
If you get a ppm meter many places on the web have ppm/EC conversion charts.

Here's one I have:

Willard3, Why is there a 500 and 700 PPM measurement. Im a little confused about that part. Which is the common one to go by?

Also can you recommend a good liquid fert for hydroponic growing? I've been checking out the Floranova, Earth Juice, and Iguana Juice. The EJ and IJ claim to be from organic sources.

Alex818 said:
Willard3, Why is there a 500 and 700 PPM measurement. Im a little confused about that part. Which is the common one to go by?

I believe it depends on your meter. It is the conversion factor or whatever you call it. I don't know much about hydro so I would wait for willard's response, but I believe if your meter gives you the EC and the ppms you should be able to figure out the conversion factor by doing a little division. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I use Dutch Master 'Gold' grow and flower, costs a little bit more but worth it. I also use additives - silica, Zone and Max (soon to change to 0.27). It is worth checking out if you can afford.

Alright cant get these to germinate.the ones i stared back on 11/14/09 dryed out so on 11/30/09 planted 5 more its been 17 days and not a dam thing.LOL On 11/25/09 planted 5 Trinidad Scorpion and 3 out of the 5 poped within 12 days.How long does it take you guys to get yours to germinate

my only thought is the temperature where you are germinating is not right for the Bhuts...you need a constant 30C...fluctuating temperatures will definitely impact germination time for seeds

Thanks, off to get a heat mat so temps will be constant 30C. at 86f. right? yeah the temp shift a bit from 75-86.picky little seeds!!!:onfire:

Back