• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut Jolokia??

These are my friends plants, and they look great....he gave me one of them also....no pods on it yet, but I was wondering do these look like Jolokias? To me, they dont look like the ones I have seen on the net, but then again I cant seem to find any real young pods...so maybe they get their longer appearance as they age? He said they are Jolokia, and he grew them from seeds...not sure where he got the seeds though...:-/. If they dont look like Jolokia to you, what do they look like?

check.jpg

SA

Don't look like Bhuts at all. They should be elongated a couple of days after pollination. Could be a cross of some sort. I have one of those this year as well. I have 3 Bhut plants and 1 has pods similar to those you have pictured. Not ripe yet, so can't say if it is worth keeping or not. I would ask where he got the seeds from.

jacob

I'll post some pics of young Bhut's tomorrow. But yeah not bhut's. PS-----by young bhuts i mean pods that are a week old or a tad more.

Those look like the pods on my Caribbean Red Habs. I have a couple Bhuts going and the pods look pointy within a week of starting, then they will get uneven looking and start to get pimply.

Ok, thanks guys..I was afraid of that...since those pods didnt match anything I had seen on the net at all. Well, Im gonna keep growing mine and see what the pods end up looking like....and what they might be. I will check with my friend Monday and try to find out where he got the seeds.

SA

An update on this topic:

My plant is finally sporting a few pods. It was set back early on due to my fathers tragic death, when we were away from home for over almost two weeks and had to abandon everything. This one almost died due to lack of water or something else while we were gone. Dad was very much looking forward to trying a Bhut Jolokia, and never got the chance....I am trying my best to make this plant live, not as much for me, but more in memory of my dad. Even though it probably is not a Bhut, it is a plant that he had been looking forward to trying a pod from.

It is coming along pretty nice right now, but still is not like it should be...I would be surprised if the pods that are setting don't fall off...it still looses leaves every day, but less now than it was before.

Now, that said, here are a few pictures of the plant and a couple pods....looks different from my friends above, but still not like a Bhut Jolokia to me.

myst1.jpg

myst3.jpg

myst2.jpg

Thanks to all.

Shane

sadams,

im sorry about your dad.

Your plant is looking very healthy although it doesnt look pimply but i should wait longer to see whether or not its a bhut jolokia

Sad to hear the news about your father. I wish you the best of luck with your plant.

Sorry to say it isn't a Bhut, but it does have some cool looking pods.

Sorry to hear about your dad... I'm 100% sure you have a Caribbean Red Habanero (The pods & leaves are a dead on match) All is not lost though, this happens to be a great variety, they are not as hot as a Bhut but they are VERY hot, and they have a very strong and unique flavor. My personal favorite actually.

Traits of a Caribbean Red:

Heart shaped early leaves (the larger ones when the plant hasn't forked)
Light green immature pods
Pods may be erect, horizontal or pendant
Pods are round and taper off to a point, may have "pumpkin like" wrinkles at the top.
Pods ripen to deep red, inside and out
Unique and strong flavor (not like your typical habanero flavor)
Very hot

Heres a Caribbean Red I took a picture of the other day (Ignore the upright pods, they tend to do this at times, mostly they hang down like yours).
Caribbean_Red_Upright.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dad. You friends plant as you know is not a bhut but I believe it is not a caribbean red either. Your plant I believe is a caribbean red hab. Not a disappointment at all, it's a very nice pepper with pretty crazy heat. Not like a super hot but still..............

I hope that plant lives forever. I know the pain of losing your Dad. My ol' man left me alone in this world in 2006. Good luck this season.

losing your daddy is never easy...mine has been gone for 6 years and not a day passes I don't smile and think back to the good times we had together...

I will add a shot of a very young bhut pod...good looking plant and pod Yooper...my pod is in the middle of the picture and is only 3 or so days old but you can see the typical Bhut shape already showing...

BhutJolokia07-22-10.jpg

Back