• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut Jolokia

Here are some pictures of the progress of my Bhut Jolokia Pepper plants. They were started indoors and eventually moved outside (on my screened balcony). Since I am growing them on my balcony I will have to hand-pollinate them. These seeds were ordered from The Chili Pepper Institute in New Mexico. These plants are just starting to flower. I will continue to post new pics of the progress of the "Hottest Pepper" in the world. I just wanted to share my experience with other Pepper Lover's.
http://www.chilipepperinstitute.org

http://photobucket.com/BhutJolokia

Craig,

Looking good so far but why do you feel you will need to hand pollinate them? A visiting bee, a gentle breeze, even slightly shaking the plant is suppose to be enough.

Mike

The balcony is screened in. No way a bee can get to them. Maybe slight shaking will do. I figured I would just lightly brush the flowers with small detail paint brush.

Glad to see everything is going well. Keep us updated and be sure to post pics when you get some pods.

pepper blossoms will self pollinate, no breeze, insect or human involvement is necessary. this is proven by growers gluing or covering buds before they open to ensure pure seed is obtained.

nice healthy bhuts you've got there! they sure grow large leaves don't they!? I got my seeds from the same source two years running, never had any probs with germinating or quality. I just wish they were a little cheaper... I suppose I could get cheap, unreliable seed off ebay and end up growing cucumbers or 'jalahabacayenne jolokias' instead of bhuts... nah, I'll stick with CPI

here's one of my little bhuts before I planted out a few weeks ago - it's about (abhut?) 6 wks old

DSC00696.jpg

CraigMack137 said:
The balcony is screened in. No way a bee can get to them. Maybe slight shaking will do. I figured I would just lightly brush the flowers with small detail paint brush.

Will work fine my friend and as I.G said the wind is your friend :shocked:

Back