• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bhut no longer the "official" hottest pepper in the world

My dad sent me a news paper clipping stating that the naga dorset has been tested and rates at an awesome 1.6 million scoville units. I sure wish they would test the douglah!

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/08/25/1346445/dorset-naga-is-hottest-pepper.html

The T Scorp was the hottest pepper of the day at the NW party. For some reason, a very wicked Doughlah went uneaten. I will try to gather up the cojones to eat it (or part of it soon).

I've had a Scorpion, a 7Pod and a Jolokia on 3 separate days within a few weeks, and I really couldn't tell the difference at all. I can tell the taste difference instantly, but the heat was darn near identical.

We may have been gun shy after that scorp, we all were hurtin from that one. I managed to snag a couple of those Douglah pods. I saved the seeds and froze the pods for use in a salsa later. I gave my finger a taste test after getting the seeds, kinda made life get interesting for a few minutes. :mouthonfire: I think it would have made that scorp go into second place if we could have stared that double barreled pimply brown pod down...........

Interesting, thanks for posting... but it did say in the article that theyre not 100% sure of the accuracy

xo nicole :dance:

Believe it or not, most commercial pepper spray is made from Cayenne Peppers. They make an extract from them.

True true.

I have some FOX Five Point Three pepper spray made specifically for law enforcement in my hot sauce collection. It'll eat the bottom right out of a styrofoam cup in seconds.

....yes, I tasted it. It's hot!

:rofl:

Looking forward to a confirmation of it.

I thought pepper sprays were closer to 15,000,000 or close to it.
No you're thinking pure cap which is debatebly either 15 or 16 million SHU and is in hard crystal form. 1 to 5 million SHU is common for pepper sprays from what I understand

This is ancient news I'm afraid, at least a year. If anyone read the article it provided a link to the folks who grew the pepper. If you read their comments I'm afraid the Bhut is still the king. http://dorsetnaga.com/

Of all the times the Dorset Naga was tested it ranged from 661,451 SHU for green fruit in 2007, up to 1,032,310 SHU for ripe fruit harvested in 2009. All below the Bhut Jolokia. These are "official" tests.

A television show produced by the BBC recorded the 1,598,227 SHU but it wasn't official. The comments of the couple who cultivated the pepper even cast doubt on that number. "We are not fully confident of such an extreme figure. However, even after accounting for error, the near 1.6 million SHU measurement still indicates the capacity of this chilli to reach extreme heat levels."

So I'll say it again. The Bhut Jolokia is still the "Official" King.

Yes most military grade pepper spray is in the 2 million range. They do make bear mace which is 16 million.....

I don't think thats possible since 15 (or 16) million is pure cap in crystal form which is not sprayable.
They used to use cayennes to make pepper spray, but I bet these days they use much hotter peppers when cost effective.

So I'll say it again. The Bhut Jolokia is still the "Official" King.

Ya, but we as chileheads are so far beyond that and I sincerely believe the record will change when Dr. Bosland finally gets around to testing the Trinidad Scorpion or some of the other stable super-hotties

i've eaten both , there is no way that dorset is hotter than bhut. dorset is kinda hot but bhut is insane! the 7pods are hotter than dorset as well.

Blah, this Dorset bloke from years ago hype is still polluting the interwebs spouting his Dorsets are the biggest baddest thing on the planet? :rofl: On any given Sunday one of a half dozen peppers could take the crown and I don't think there will ever be a true Worlds Hottest.

Now I've never grown the Dorset Naga variety but his look the same as the Naga Morich and his own description of coming up with his varitey with it's cross pollination and his 'he thinks' guess work has me not believing any of the hype so I'm not drinking the Dorset koolaid :drunk:

I've been growing Naga Morich since 2007 and from my personal experience both the 7Pot/Pod and especially the Trinidad Scorpion have been hotter, but that's coming from my growing environment and it could always differ.

Ya, but we as chileheads are so far beyond that and I sincerely believe the record will change when Dr. Bosland finally gets around to testing the Trinidad Scorpion or some of the other stable super-hotties

You're probably right about that POTAWIE.

Don't know if he's growing those but I know for a fact he's working on a Chocolate B.J.

Back