• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bhut pruning

Ok so I have a bhut that is probably 12-14" tall, i just pruned the leaves from the stalk. however, there appear to be 2 nodes like 1cm from the ground, they are small, maybe an inch or less in length. Should i cut those back to the stalk as well?

What is the purpose you are trying to achieve by pruning? The nodes that branch off the main stem often grow up to exceed even the main stem in height & canopy size, I would not remove them.

IMO the only pruning necessary is removing leaves that rest on the soil to reduce the risk of soil borne diseases, peppers don't need any topping or pruning to encourage them to branch out.

Edit:

My scorpion moruga. On the left side you can see that the tallest part of the plant starts as a node that branches off the stem at roughly soil level:

a9Yoiqkh.jpg

I cut anything 2 inches above the soil, and leave the rest. I do it mostly for cosmetic purposes, as I like to see a single stem free of any leaves right above the soil. I believe it also improves air circulation when the top of the soil isn't covered by leaves. Anything touching the soil also gets trimmed off. If the soil on the top stays moist, it attracts fungus gnats.

IMHO, I think pruning and topping is a topic best reserved for March or April threads on THP. This close to July in Ohio you should just let them grow. It is already 5-6 weeks after plant out time for most of us. 

In ohio, i would start letting the plant bloom and do it's thing (over 12" inches). Unless you plan on taking it indoors.

Back