• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhuter's 2018 Glog

Hello everybody! I'm late again to the adventures of pepper growing. Seeds didn't hit the towel until March 6, so I have some still below, some hooks, and some little plants. Not too much to look at right now but how about a growlist.

2018 Growlist

Red BBG7 (Ocho Cinco 2014)
BOC (Mine)
Black Naga x Peri-Peri F2 (Mine)
Bishop's Crown
Brown Moruga (PL)
Peach Bhut (WM)
SB7J (Pex Peppers 2014)
Pumpkin Bubblegum (Ford's)
Peach Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
OrangeGum TigerMAMP (GIP)
California Reaper (Tyler Farms)
Ramirez Stinger (mpicante)
BBG Peach Ghost Jami (Mojo)
Monster Apocalisse (Mojo)
Purple Ghost Scorpion (Mojo)
Chocolate Primo (Butch T)
PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F1 (Mine)
PDN x Bonda ma Jacques F6 White & Purple (PaulG)
Purple Flower Baccatum (Mojo)
Wartryx (windchicken)
Purple Flower BBG (Mojo)
PeachGum v3 (Mojo)
Biker Billy Jalapeño (Tyler Farms)
Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet (MikeUSMC)
Peach Clavo x Pink Tiger (Ford's)
Caramel BBG7 (WHP)
7 Pot Cinder Caramel F3 (also have F2 clone overwinter)

Lots of crosses, purples, & BBG. I also air layered a clone from the Caramel Cinder F2 last year (with the help of pepper-guru...thanks, Rich) and it's been in stasis until recently. Just starting new growth and already set a pod.

8U4MXPe.jpg

And here's the whole lot. I don't have much room...just what I can fit under a card table.

Cy0FhOj.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Your plants and flowers are looking great [emoji106] I hear you about having a plant or two lagging behind. My 2 habanero plants are runts this year compared to all my other plants, they are about 1/3 as big as all the others. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhuter said:
68° is perfect for our room indoors. We have a digital thermometer and we're dying if it gets in the 70's. Lol. But yes, when your body is used to working in a sauna, 68° is freezing. ❄️. Did you ever find that ring?

Nope, it's still out there in the field somewhere. 

The tomatoes don't like the cold weather, either. They get rather unflexible when it's ~70F. Was stringing more today (8 hour straight stringing tomatoes is so frigging tedious), and I kept breaking branches. I mean, mostly it was stuff I was gonna prune anyway that broke, but I did manage to snap a pretty good sized branch off that had quite a few tomatoes on one plant. 

The tomatoes are so knotted up it's ridiculous. They were left growing to their own devices for too long, now it's like stringing giant twisted pretzels or something.

Hell yeah on 484!

And yes, for me to get spring Chinense to produce (most of them) I need a warm early spring. And then a cooler late spring. I had the opposite this year. 2014 was golden, every year should be like that one ;)
And that's what I meant about my "I wish I had your summers". I pulled plants close to 3.5' that never set this year. It was that or water them until I get November-December pods. I started them December 1st, maybe I'll start them in mid November next year ;) Funny how a few Chinense didn't care. But just a few...

PtMD989 said:
Your plants and flowers are looking great [emoji106] I hear you about having a plant or two lagging behind. My 2 habanero plants are runts this year compared to all my other plants, they are about 1/3 as big as all the others. [emoji848]
Yeah, all of my Chinense are just budding. The only one with an open flower is the BOC. Seems like they're in neutral. But it's supposed to be in the 90's this weekend. Maybe the garden will dry out enough to feed again. Thinking about upping the dosage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walchit said:
I noticed my cinders have flowers on them
:woohoo:
All of my cinders are as slow as the others. It's still sorta early though. They'll be fine. I'm glad yours are rockin'!

TrentL said:

Nope, it's still out there in the field somewhere. 

The tomatoes don't like the cold weather, either. They get rather unflexible when it's ~70F. Was stringing more today (8 hour straight stringing tomatoes is so frigging tedious), and I kept breaking branches. I mean, mostly it was stuff I was gonna prune anyway that broke, but I did manage to snap a pretty good sized branch off that had quite a few tomatoes on one plant. 

The tomatoes are so knotted up it's ridiculous. They were left growing to their own devices for too long, now it's like stringing giant twisted pretzels or something.
Whew! Sounds like a headache. Never a dull moment on the farm. Lol.

karoo said:
Good looking plants!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Thank you! How's the weather your way?

Genetikx said:
Things are shaping up nicely for you Adam!
Thanks, Ryan! Slowly but surely.

Devv said:
Hell yeah on 484!

And yes, for me to get spring Chinense to produce (most of them) I need a warm early spring. And then a cooler late spring. I had the opposite this year. 2014 was golden, every year should be like that one ;)
And that's what I meant about my "I wish I had your summers". I pulled plants close to 3.5' that never set this year. It was that or water them until I get November-December pods. I started them December 1st, maybe I'll start them in mid November next year ;) Funny how a few Chinense didn't care. But just a few...
I have to agree on the better years. The bhut in my avatar was my first bhut in 2014. That thing produced like crazy! I remember losing a branch that had 28 pods on it alone. 2015 I sold ten lbs to one guy and had too much left over. I've been chasing those two dragons ever since. Lol

I was walking through the yard yesterday and saw a strange patch.
hHXxTYZ.jpg

What the hell is that?! I got closer.
gTGBCzj.jpg

And closer...
80gJJ5r.jpg

There are thousands of these little guys. It's been a great year for fungus here.
wVq88QD.jpg

Then I took the dog for a walk and saw that my neighbors HollyHocks are blooming.
p7Kt4uP.jpg

HwC4LR9.jpg

Then from out of nowhere, my overwintered Cinder clone shot out a new branch from under the soil. Which works for me...it'll balance out the plant.
0oB3dYd.jpg

Only a couple Chinense with blooms, but some are starting to bud up!
agmUiSw.jpg

Two different plant leaves from separate Black Naga x Peri Peri F2. IMO, one is slightly more elongated or just longer. The other kinda looks stubbier. Idk. Maybe it's just me. Both are just starting to bud.
EU6eFOF.jpg

And one of my zucchini split into two heads. Now I can get zukes from two spots on that plant. They're kinda hard to see...one is on the left and one is on the right.
RkxlhGO.jpg

Everything's looking good here.

Is there a dead or dying tree near where all those mushrooms are growing? I had a small clump of shrooms that looked very similar earlier this year. They were at the base of a silver maple that has seen better days.

Bhuter said:
I sold ten lbs to one guy and had too much left over.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get per pound on those?

Sawyer said:
Everything's looking good here.

Is there a dead or dying tree near where all those mushrooms are growing? I had a small clump of shrooms that looked very similar earlier this year. They were at the base of a silver maple that has seen better days.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get per pound on those?
Yes there is! There's a haggard, old, frail tree that surprisingly still grows green growth at the top. But it's not a promising looking landmark. It's right next to the house, a large limb/branch broke off just before thanksgiving last year but it was on the other side and fell in the neighbors yard. I'm sure it won't last much longer.

I still have no clue what to charge for supers, but he paid $7/lb. for unlabeled pods. I don't know any going rates besides SFRB's. I try to sell some around here and end up charging roughly 50 cents per labeled pod.

My maters are always changing the way they feel. They grow fantastically, and turn into big plants. I go out in the morning, they look wonderful. I go back out there later in the day, and they are either fully wilted or some branches here and there will wilt. It'll stay like that for a few days, then BOOM, they're gorgeous again. Sometimes they don't recover, but there's always at least one that does it. This year, it was all except the two I started from seed. Weird. But today, they look great!

cH7eh5Y.jpg

Only a few fruits, though.
dpzd2tN.jpg

Judy's Brown Moruga never fails to have enormous leaves.
Q920ddn.jpg

And I have a ripening mini Biker Billy Jalapeño. These guys are really small, but they taste like jals.
VR2BYYu.jpg

Walchit said:
Awesome update Bhuter!

Oh and I had a bunch of those mushrooms down my paths yesterday. It was crazy, but your patch looks even more dense

Thanks, Andy! Every time I turn around, there's another batch of different mushrooms growing somewhere.
Edmick said:
I had a bunch of mushrooms pop up this year after I tilled my garden.
Hopefully they're beneficial. I'm sure they are. Your soil must be rockin'!

Devv said:
Just killer Adam!

Tell me how you plant your maters, and how hot it is, and of course your watering schedule..

Thanks, Scott! I don't bury the maters extra deep, I don't lay them down, I just break up the roots and plant as you would a pepper. The temp constantly goes up and down. It was just in the 60's for a high, and now it'll be in the 90's. It rains every other day...nothing gets a chance to dry out. So my watering schedule is, "It looks dry enough...and no more rain until later." I water/feed, then later comes soon. Dilutes my ferts. Nothing is consistent, yet.

Back