• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Bhuts & Nagas and Germination...

Ajarn v, ive been growing the Dorset Naga now for 3 years and ive never been able to work this plant out.
I get roughly a 70% germination rate with most sprouting within the first month. I have know them take up to 3 months to appear and on one occasion 5 months plus, very temperamental, like my other half.
As you say dont ever give up on them, they are a surprising plant and always ready to kick you when you least expect it.

Ajarn v, ive been growing the Dorset Naga now for 3 years and ive never been able to work this plant out.
I get roughly a 70% germination rate with most sprouting within the first month. I have know them take up to 3 months to appear and on one occasion 5 months plus, very temperamental, like my other half.
As you say dont ever give up on them, they are a surprising plant and always ready to kick you when you least expect it.

Five months plus!? Holy crap! Very interesting; I've still got 2 Nagas and 4 bhuts to go. Thanks.

I'm still planning on trying to go with cuttings on these bad Bhuts, if I can keep them alive that is. The largest one about a foot tall keeps keeling/sagging over. I bottom water every few days and the pot always seems slightly moist. When I give it more water it stands straight up.

you guys got a whole lot more patience than I do...they get 2-3 weeks @ 86F/30C in a very moist soil-less seed starting media then get tossed....

I usually only give mine 2 weeks but there is a trick for stubborn seeds where you take seeds that won't germinate and dry them out for a few weeks and then re-try the whole germinating process. Although I don't usually have the patience, it has apparently worked for several members on other chile forums.

I usually only give mine 2 weeks but there is a trick for stubborn seeds where you take seeds that won't germinate and dry them out for a few weeks and then re-try the whole germinating process. Although I don't usually have the patience, it has apparently worked for several members on other chile forums.

Actually; that happened to a couple of the coir pucks by accident (I had given up and ignored them) and when they were re-whetted, bingo, germination. But some of the others never quite dried out; so both work it seems. Cheers.

you guys got a whole lot more patience than I do...they get 2-3 weeks @ 86F/30C in a very moist soil-less seed starting media then get tossed....

My winter is lows of 66-68f and highs of 82-88f, so patience is well rewarded with a 365 day growing season. Unfortunately the bloody summer's heat knocks the crap out of pod production, so we just maintain for a few months: Sort of like your winters. Cheers.

My winter is lows of 66-68f and highs of 82-88f, so patience is well rewarded with a 365 day growing season. Unfortunately the bloody summer's heat knocks the crap out of pod production, so we just maintain for a few months: Sort of like your winters. Cheers.

cool man...wish my winters were as yours...we have about 10-20 freezing days a year with a few in the teens I would guess and lots of days not above 50F...and you got that right about the summer heat

continued luck with your grow...

cool man...wish my winters were as yours...we have about 10-20 freezing days a year with a few in the teens I would guess and lots of days not above 50F...and you got that right about the summer heat

continued luck with your grow...

Thank you sir; so far so good. I guess no matter where one lives there's always those pesky pluses and minuses. Cheers.

Day 67; 2 days ago either a Bhut or a Naga sprouted. The reason for my uncertainty is; the coir pucks were outside in my mini-greenhouse. It filled with water and when I dumped the water out they lost their labeled positions and got mixed up. So now I have 5 mystery plants (out of 40) which is more interesting, IMO.
Anyway, time will tell. Cheers. ;)

good luck with that ajarn. =D

i've got a ton of pepper plants without labels myself. surprise surprise for me when i get something interesting when it fruits. lol.

I got my Bih's to germinate in 6 days. Soaked them in hot water with a few drops of bleach for 5 minutes, then another 5 in just hot water, then put them in sterilized potting soil (microwaved moist soil) in clean ice cube trays covered with plastic wrap and placed on a heater where the temps were at 85-95F for 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

About 30% of my seed germinated the first week, then a bit more the following week then the last of them the next week. Just about every variety had a seed pop up after 6 days.

Beats my old method by a long shot.

this is what i've done so far with germination, i stuck them in soil, watered them with regular water and decided to do an experiment with my aerated compost tea (diluted) and boom, 1-2 days later almost all of my sowed seeds are popping up. =D

apparently they love the stuff. chinenses too! =D

Back