• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Big Lesson Just Learned About Germination

As a newbie I appear to be quite impatient; waiting 4 weeks for germination on a heat mat with lights for hot peppers to germinate.  I gave up on the peat pellets and decided to take a peak into each peat pot to see if there were anything germinating.  Only two yellow bhuts and a black jalapeno germinated, so I moved them to regular soil and they are doing great.  The rest of the peat pots I emptied into a large Ziploc bag and set it the shed.  1 week later I decide to use the peat in a soil mixture to plant some Serrano seeds and low and behold I  had 4 pepper plants sitting at the top of that bag!  No light, lots of moisture, colder temperatures (40-70) and in a Ziploc bag completely closed off!  I also found several seeds deep in the peat that had germinated and began their seed leaves, so I transplanted them also. I will update to see if this all works out.  Pretty exciting!  Lesson learned is to be very patient and stop being so worried about whether they germinate or not; they will,  just on their time!

Yes,  always wait what you think is long enough then stop,  and wait some more lol

I always try and use pots with failed sprouts for the same kind of seeds-  for example,  if I plant a chocolate habanero and it doesn't' sprout,  I re-sow into the same cup.  That way if they both end up sprouting I at least know they're both cocolate habs   :)

I found a scientist of botany that invented a micro nutrient that you can do 10 percent Ecovie 90 percent bottled spring water. Most of all my many hard to germinate seeds sprouted in 10 days. I used the paper towel and Ecovie mix in a baggie at 85 degrees F. I did use a heat spout mat. He said that the micros make the seed open quicker. Just give this man a call. August is his name at Ecovie products in Dallas tx. It's the only thing I use not. I know the pros do thing there way and po po new ways to germ. You will
Be amazed how this work from germ to seedling to older plants. You can use it as a foiler spray too. Andrew

I used chamomile tea and apparently it worked!  I was just too impatient; however I'm extremely glad I saved the peat matter.  Today they all stood straight up and turned a brilliant green from pale white.  Even the ones that germinated 4 inches down in the peat bag are up and green!  Totally amazed! I'll try your guys germination recipe in another batch to see how that works also.  I'm always open to suggestions as I am really new to this stuff.  I really appreciate your input.  The only unfortunate thing about this is I have no clue as to what is growing.  I had Carolina reaper, butch t, Bolivian rainbow, jalapeno, Trinidad scorpion, muleto isleno, and 6 other types of peppers 3 seeds to each pot, so I'll  have to wait till they fruit, unless someone has a way of identifying them by leaf pattern or something?

Update: Out of curiosity I checked that peat matter again tonight and found 4 more plants!  I potted them up and got them under some lights, as three of them already had their seed leaves and were bright green....even under 3 inches of peat material!  Strange, but exciting!  I'll have to wait for a couple months to see what they actually are.  Again, lesson learned!  Be patient and wait for them to do their thing! 

Bootsieb said:
I use orange peel water
How do make this?

I had used left over seed starting mix to top off the soil around my potted mini evergreen outside and an unknown pepper popped up. It made me laugh.

Patience is key. The longest I've had to wait is 2 months for Galapagoense to pop up. As long as conditions stay pretty much right they will come up on their own time sooner or later.

Capsicum Select said:
I had used left over seed starting mix to top off the soil around my potted mini evergreen outside and an unknown pepper popped up. It made me laugh.

Patience is key. The longest I've had to wait is 2 months for Galapagoense to pop up. As long as conditions stay pretty much right they will come up on their own time sooner or later.
That is pretty awesome.  Did you transplant it?  I probably have more in the same peat matter.  I'm going to check it again tonight to see.  All the plants are doing great, just have no clue what they are. 
Bootsieb said:
put some orange peels in hot water- let them soak overnight
I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the info!

Actually, I once used some leftovers form the sink with the water, seeds germinated in two days- sink water basically. I used a cup , then put half a coke bottle over it. You could use and plastic cover. I left in in the in the sunshine on my glass balcony mid-winter.

2004fxst said:
That is pretty awesome.  Did you transplant it?  I probably have more in the same peat matter.  I'm going to check it again tonight to see.  All the plants are doing great, just have no clue what they are. 
No not yet. I was thinking about it because I am curious what it is. Looks like an annuum so it is probably a jalapeño. However I have at least one plant of each type of seed I got and way more plants than I know what to do with for over wintering. It will probably end up waiting out it's last days trying to be coached by the pine tree on how to deal with the cold.

Back