• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big pods wanted - 2018 edition (what delicious superhots come in jumbo form)

solid7 said:

Damn, those are almost bell pepper size.  Not quite sure how I feel about green superhots.  One of the most worthless peppers I ever tasted, were the Big Mustard Mama.  I like jalapenos and serranos just fine, and I'm definitely down for the green rocotos. But I'd sure like to hear some opinions on this one before giving it a go...

Ah, damn. Big Mustard Mama was on my '19 grow. I was hoping to grow out a bunch of green/mustard varieties and pick my favorite in terms of flavor and productivity. I'm doing this for homemade guacamole. I love jalapeños, but I wanted to kick the heat up a couple notches, and add a bit of atypical flavor! I will keep growing jalapeños for poppers, for sure.

I'm not sure I entirely trust people's reviews of green and mustard varieties (I don't mean to discount your review of BMM) because I often hear them say they were not sure if they picked them too soon or not. I imagine many reviews are from chilis not yet fully ripe. I grew the 'Green Habanero' (from semillas.de) several years ago and thought it was rather great. I can see how people might be unsure about ripeness. 

Woa...there is a green pubescens?? Or do you mean you are down for harvesting them unripe like we would do with jalapeños and serranos?

I got a pepper named avenir in a box of pods from Texas hot peppers, can't say anything about heat or flavor but it was definitely the biggest pod I got out of 130 or so different varieties

Spicy Mushroom said:
Alright. Here is my only other suggestion.

The Chocolate Ghost Monster from Fords Fiery Foods. 

I cannot vouch for them, but I am currently growing them!

Description from site:

"These are not like usual ghost, much larger and WAY hotter
Open pollinated, pods are 4-7 inches long and super gnarly"

attachicon.gif
chghost1-500x500.jpg
attachicon.gif
chghost-500x500.jpg

Those are impressive looking!

solid7 said:

Reminds me alot of the Chocolate Bhutlah.  My son absolutely loves those.  Personally, I think they're kinda gross, with a heat so extreme, that I can't really even learn to love them. (those were seriously the hottest things I've ever eaten)  But we'll have those going again.  Maybe those chocolate reapers are an idea.  Got seeds?

Actually, I do.

IMG_20180610_075853849.jpg

I cannot remember where I got them, does anyone recognize the handwriting?

IMG_20180610_075903186_HDR.jpg

PM me.

Spicy Mushroom said:

Ah, damn. Big Mustard Mama was on my '19 grow. I was hoping to grow out a bunch of green/mustard varieties and pick my favorite in terms of flavor and productivity. I'm doing this for homemade guacamole. I love jalapeños, but I wanted to kick the heat up a couple notches, and add a bit of atypical flavor! I will keep growing jalapeños for poppers, for sure.

I'm not sure I entirely trust people's reviews of green and mustard varieties (I don't mean to discount your review of BMM) because I often hear them say they were not sure if they picked them too soon or not. I imagine many reviews are from chilis not yet fully ripe. I grew the 'Green Habanero' (from semillas.de) several years ago and thought it was rather great. I can see how people might be unsure about ripeness. 

Woa...there is a green pubescens?? Or do you mean you are down for harvesting them unripe like we would do with jalapeños and serranos?

Yeah, please don't take my words as a review, of any sort.  I just found the taste of them stomach turning, with a heat level that was too much for that kind of flavor.  Many people love flavors that I do not.  I know they were ripe, because some of them were picked on the edge of going soft.  (they were gross to me in all stages - LOL)
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if there are green varieties of Rocoto, or if they're just eaten that way.  I had them green, but that doesn't they were ripe. Also, I'm no expert in rocoto growing, because they are very hard to grow in my area. (although I'm currently working toward figuring out the best way to grow them in my area - they would come alive here during our winters, if I could only get them through our summers)  However, our summer is really hotting up, and I've got a red rocoto planted in full shade, in a huge pile of composted pine bark and banana leaves, that's absolutely kicking ass right now.

Madballz totally tore me up as did borg9 yellow. For more flavor I prefer peach ghost and bhut orange copenhagen. Probably have seed for all of these if youre in need

Genetikx said:
Madballz totally tore me up as did borg9 yellow. For more flavor I prefer peach ghost and bhut orange copenhagen. Probably have seed for all of these if youre in need

I have both Jay and Judy's Peach Ghost Scorpion.  But the Madballz and Bhut Orange Copenhagen are foreign to me.  I'd love to have them both.  Let's do a seed swap. Will PM you...

solid7 said:

But those aren't really that big, are they?  I grew those my first year in containers.  They were a'right, but a little low on the Scovies for the boy...  He just dusted his gums with Chocolate Bhutlah powder a little bit ago.  :shocked:
mine got really huge , but they were in dirt , I grew some Lucy 7 pod , big pod and nice and hot ,    :party:

Back