• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BigB's first pepper log/grow

Hello and thank you for viewing! This is my first season in miami fl focusing on peppers. Last season was my first ever grow in general and I seem to have a green thumb when it comes to a lot of plants, but peppers seem to be different. I use self watering containers which you can see in the first picture of my yellow scotch bonnet + ? pepper. These boxes save me when it comes to watering everything especially tomatoes, but peppers I think are different since they need the soil to dry out right? Anyways, my ignorant self is very open to any guidance and opinions on what I should be doing.

So here's two pics of my yellow scotch bonnet that I bought last year and a pepper plant which I thought was a bhut when I started it but it's probably a pequin bird chili based on the seeds that I have. The scotch bonnet was doing decently but now it seems not as happy.

pepbox.jpg

pepboxcloseup.jpg

Surprisingly, my most healthy looking plant is something that popped out of my mushroom/worm compost bin. It topped it and it grew nicely, but has always been infested with white flies and ants. Now that the temp has been going down, they have somewhat left and it started to produce some peppers. Not sure what it's going to be, but we'll see soon. That's a jackfruit in the corner of the box if anyone near miami wants one by the way.
compostpep.jpg

compostpepfull.jpg

So like I said, the white flies down here are kinda nasty. Makes it impossible to put anything that's small and not established outside. I have this grow light setup with other small plants like my heirloom tomatoes.

growsetup.jpg

The first is one of two non hot pepper, a lunchbox pepper from johnny seeds

lunchbox2.jpg

An aji pineapple I got from Wicked Mike

ajipineapple.jpg

Round of Hungary Pimento from johnny seeds, my other non hot pepper

RoundofHungaryPimento.jpg

Cream Fatalii from Wicked Mike

creamfatalii.jpg

Trinidad pimento seasoning pepper from some Trini guy I met

trinipimentoseasoning.jpg

This one isn't doing so well, what do you guys think? It's a hot santa fe grande in my grow box under a light. I water from the top instead of put water in the reservoir

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/xarsharn/pepper%20log/santafe.jpg
And finally a cachucha 

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/xarsharn/pepper%20log/cachucha.jpg
I have about 30 mild-hot plants on my wishlist (mostly aji and chinense's) from chileplants.com but they don't ship till january. Got on wicked mike's seed train too so i'm looking forward to starting some of his super hots and I have a couple of other pepper seedlings i'm trying to get started: more pimentos, aji lemon drop, fish peppers, bhut and my yellow scotch bonnets. I think i'm getting myself into something a bit too big but oh well, can't have too many peppers 

Guava about finished, you could see another flower coming in at the bottom of the clay pot
20150612_142602.jpg

My peppers, kale, tomatoes, orange and mango tree
20150612_142622.jpg

Kaffir lime, papaya x 2, everbearing mulberry x2, guava, and thai/regular basil
20150612_142628.jpg

Some sungolds
20150612_142652.jpg

I counted 19 trini perfume. going to send some to my girlfriend's mexican grandmother
20150612_142916.jpg

Cream fatalii for and tomatoes for some sauce
20150612_143234.jpg

17x aji pineapple, 2 cream fatalii, 4 cream fataliixred?, 1 mini chocolate bell, 5 aji mangos, 7 venezuelan tigers, 40something trini perfume
20150615_152851.jpg

A father's day care package to my girlfriend's mexican dad/family. Fresh peppers tagged with identification, heat level and recipes, some dried mangos, dried papayas, dried peppers, pepper powder blend, red sauce and aji pineapple pineapple jelly 
20150615_171801.jpg

peppers to the dehydrator
20150615_173632.jpg

I've been playing with pepper powder ratios to see what brings out the best flavor profile and heat level since i've got all these dried pods. Here's some pepper powder art, pre mixing. 

Top layer- aji pineapple --> Brazilian starfish --> Trinidad Perfume yellow --> Red?xCream fatalli 

20150718_133521.jpg

Damn, man. Big difference between the way your plants looked when you first started this glog and what your plants look like now. I actually dropped by because I got slammed with chile thrips again (although it looks like I'm bouncing back) and thought I'd check in and see how you were doing pestwise.

pest wise, i've had some tomato horn worms here and there but i've taken care of those. I still have a few tomatoes going but the foliage has been eaten a lot. Out of nowhere, one of my lunchbox peppers had wilted leaves which at first i thought it was dry soil, but it stayed like that for about 3 weeks. pulled it out and i saw ants everywhere. flooded it and put the sukari in that pot. Hopefully it will do well. My aji mango lost all its leaves from i think white flies and maybe too much rain water, but overall my plants are big and thriving. I just put some sargassum seaweed i collected from the back and washed off then put it into the pots as mulch a few days ago. 

Venezuelan tiger isn't producing pods and neither is my cream fatalii (not the cross) right now, but everything else is producing fairly well. I actually have 44 seedlings in cups that i've separated. Need any? I got doubles lol I figured i'd get a heads start for fall and have some decent sized plants. I'm definitely happy with everything I've got from you, that's what's thriving most. drying peppers left and right

last time i started seeds I had to travel and my brother killed all but the aji mango. So, i started more a couple weeks back and here's how they are.

20150720_192538.jpg

20150720_192542.jpg

20150720_192546.jpg

here's my update of everything. 

Venezuelan tiger 1 and its height
20151013_115556.jpg

20151013_115611.jpg

hard to see because of all the green, around, but yellow trinidad perfume 
20151013_115709.jpg

husk/ground cherries 
20151013_115722.jpg

20151013_115738.jpg

Aji Pineapple
20151013_115733.jpg

Cream Fatalii and its first pods in quite a while
20151013_115746.jpg

20151013_115754.jpg

small red bhut
20151013_115815.jpg

Venezuelan tiger 2
20151013_115820.jpg

the crazy tall brazilian starfish 
20151013_115836.jpg

20151013_120039.jpg

20151013_120047.jpg

20151013_120259.jpg

Hot not cream fatalii cross and its first pods in a while because of all the summer heat
20151013_115847.jpg

20151013_115902.jpg

mini chocolate bell
20151013_115922.jpg

Indoor plants: here's my 3+ ft red pumpkin x2. All of these were started at the same time, amazing variance in height. 

20151013_120627.jpg

20151013_120708.jpg

dulce sol pods
20151013_120836.jpg

trying to post more pics lol someone post so i can post more ><

Awesome plants and pods, man.

What are your thoughts on the Aji Mango and Sungold tomatoes?

You got any more pics of that mango tree?

Runescape said:
Awesome plants and pods, man.

What are your thoughts on the Aji Mango and Sungold tomatoes?

You got any more pics of that mango tree?

Thanks. The sungolds were definitely my favorite tomatoes this past season. I don't like tomatoes a whole lot, but I usually go for the smaller cherry sized ones. They're great fresh or in sauces.

Regarding the aji mango, my original plant died. White flies got to it and it affected the pods so that they weren't crisp. I've dehydrated them and powdered them which was good. When I tried a pepper though, it had a great taste from what I recall. Not the strongest flavor of mango but it very fruity. I have another aji mango in my indoor garden right now, so I'm stoked to eventually get something out of it to compare. 

You can catch a glimpse of the mango tree in the trinidad perfume picture. I'll get a pic of the one in the front and the back. The one in the back is a cogshall about 3 years old now from fairchild gardens. It's suppose to a dwarf mango only reaching 10ish ft. I have a valencia mango in the front which is taller but only about 1.5 yrs old I'd say. It came from adopt a tree day in miami. We get 2 fruit trees a year and 1 mango per  house. I picked up an anon and a jaboticaba tree this year. still trying to decide where to put each. I'll take some pics and put it up

BigB said:
We get 2 fruit trees a year and 1 mango per  house. I picked up an anon and a jaboticaba tree this year. still trying to decide where to put each. I'll take some pics and put it up
Adopt a tree sounds pretty neat, from their website: "Miami-Dade single-family or duplex homeowners receive 2 FREE trees every year, even if they have adopted trees in previous years. Single-family homeowners adopted more than 184,000 trees since the program's inception in 2001."

Cant wait for more pics.

Back