• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bigger pots

Hey guys
So about the wally bags... AWESOME! I had one little rip from moving it around, but can you expect any cloth pot to hold that much weight. They aren't rotting or fading either.

The only drawback so far has been with holding moisture. It has been around 100f for the week here and I have to water then every day vs my potted plants can go 2-3 days.
But I have found a easy free fix for this. Wrap the bottom of the bag with a plastic shopping bag. It Holds in the moisture, and is adjustable

For those of you who did the Walmart bags, how are they holding up? I'm seriously considering these for next season.
7 months down the Road
IMG_20130104_144913_zpsa5386634-1_zps600625cd.jpg

Strong as the Day I got them...
For .50 cents each.

And the plants seem to like them
IMG_20130104_170523-1_zps381c19c5.jpg

7 months down the Road

Strong as the Day I got them...
For .50 cents each.

And the plants seem to like them

Man, this is crazy. I was just thinking about you and this very topic earlier today. Thank you for posting your results. Was going to go with Root Pouches this season, but this looks like an even less expensive solution that works!

Pepper-Guru said:
If you guys REALLY want DIY smart pots, I have two words for you..."geotextile underlayment" sold at lowes and homedepot as pond underlayment or anywhere else on the internet. I get 5ft by 100 ft for around 65$. With a good sewing skill, and a bit of reverse engineering on an original smart pot, youre in the money !
Hi PG, any alternative you can suggest for geotextile. For some reason I'm not sure why I can't find it here in Manila.
Cayennemist said:
Hey guys
So about the wally bags... AWESOME! I had one little rip from moving it around, but can you expect any cloth pot to hold that much weight. They aren't rotting or fading either.

The only drawback so far has been with holding moisture. It has been around 100f for the week here and I have to water then every day vs my potted plants can go 2-3 days.
But I have found a easy free fix for this. Wrap the bottom of the bag with a plastic shopping bag. It Holds in the moisture, and is adjustable
Been trying to look around for these bags but unfortunately, the only bags available here commercially are water resistant. What is the bag made of? Maybe I could just make my own granted that I can't find any geotextile retailer around.

Bought what looks like geotextile yesterday and the guys at the hardware calls it felt carpet. I'm not sure if this would work but it's unwoven fabric and is water permiable. Will try it out and see if it can hold when glued and sewed.

Back