• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Biggest haul off a single plant , single picking?

Curious about this. Ive got a few big , prolific plants. Today I picked 6.22 lbs off it at one time. Bob

Heres the single pick haul of 6.22 lbs.

1zp14jq.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Any pics of the plant pre-pick?

No I was thinking about it but you just cant get the scope of it from a picture. Its hard to tell an individual plant in my garden.

In this pic the plant isnt even visible. The moruga's though slightly taller (about 6 ft) have way less pods. I doubt I could pick a lb off one of them at the moment. I never seem to calculate how damn big plants get. 3 ft spacing isnt nearly enough. There are 5 Fatalii , 5 Moruga (on right) and 3 over wintered plants to the right of the Moruga out of the picture. The plant these came from is in the far corner.  Still plenty of pods on it. I'll try to get a decent pic of them .

These are all started this year. The 3 two year olds are out of picture on the right.
11949400_10153463866497211_1800980627229987832_n.jpg

It was loaded like the coco's I have. Heres a pic of a single branch from one of them. Bear in mind the plant is 5 ft tall and probably 5-6 ft wide.Bob

11223896_10153479462787211_9209807561040784477_n.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Wow. That's a pretty big plant for Connecticut. I need to check out your glog. (And if you don't have one, start one!  :shocked: ) Are those first year plants?

All the plants in the first pic are first year. The 2 year olds are almost as big as the Morugas I planted this year ( are on the right out of the picture) but are way more prolific.  Problem with my garden is it just looks like one big plant! lol!   The yield on my cocos and the plant I harvested 6.2 lbs from today is fantastic though. Ive got some of these in buckets I could probably pick a couple lbs off of right now. I'll probably save some seeds from the Coco's and this Moruga-ish plant since the yield on them is so nice. My friend who also grows says its the soil...Others say  have a green thumb. Dont know- but I do have perseverance.

I should take more pics. Heres one early on from another angle. The plant I harvested today is the two year old far back left in picture. Interestingly the little Morugas in front of those three two year olds in the back are now bigger than them and almost 6 feet tall and are the ones in the other picture! The two year olds are about 5 1/2 feet now though. Bob

4r7von.jpg

Swampy_NZ said:
This was from last season.Just over 7 pounds from 3 plants from 1 picking.2 Dorset Nagas  and some yellow thing lol.I ended up with 80 pounds from 8 plants all up.

So about 2 1/3 lbs from a single plant. Bob

BobR said:

So about 2 1/3 lbs from a single plant. Bob
Dunno exactly.I only remember the numbers because I posted them in my grow log.I think my final harvest was the biggest.Over 12 pounds I think.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Wow. That's a pretty big plant for Connecticut. I need to check out your glog. (And if you don't have one, start one!  :shocked: ) Are those first year plants?
even thought CT is north, we tend to have a pretty long growing seasons because we are by the shore. our grow season is much longer compared to other northern/inland states due to the warm sea water.. i've had plants in the ground since April.

stevie said:
even thought CT is north, we tend to have a pretty long growing seasons because we are by the shore. our grow season is much longer compared to other northern/inland states due to the warm sea water.. i've had plants in the ground since April.
  And its been real hot lately too! Good for ripening up! Bob
Here's a picture of the 2 year old I picked this haul from. As noted its smaller than this years Morugas . That said it had peppers on its old branches in May. Hard to get the whole plant in the pick while holding back the Morugas branches... Everything in the pic is the plant though. Bob

2a857x0.jpg

anyone see that youtube video of the naga plant with 700 pus pods? that is some serious poDDage!! but personally my heaviest producer was a yellow ghost. Maybe 2 to 3 hundred pods off one plant.....in a giant pot!!

FROG DOG said:
anyone see that youtube video of the naga plant with 700 pus pods? that is some serious poDDage!! but personally my heaviest producer was a yellow ghost. Maybe 2 to 3 hundred pods off one plant.....in a giant pot!!

I had a two year old mutt Reaper last year. Nick named it "Mama Reaper" it was so prolific.  From June to September I pick over 2000 pods off it. Its on my left in the picture (right in the pic) actually Im kind of in front of it. It its final glory it was about 6 feet tall and 7-8 feet wide.  Interesting thing about my two year olds last year is I overwintered them in the ground! I built a makeshift greenhouse and put a heater in it. They survived single digit temps in the ground. :O Bob

betet.jpg

Early on inside the "greenhouse" in late 2013. Later it would need 3 layers of plastic and all the leaves from my yard piled up around the outside. Bob

2v7t66h.jpg

Back