• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting BigPhilMD's Ghetto Garden Harvest 2010

Here's my 2nd major (pathetic) harvest! I have 6 plants crammed into 3 Home Depot buckets on my back deck area of my rowhouse in Baltimore.

Banana Peppers - took a handful from a couple plants already
Cayennes - took 4 really long red ones off last week, they're drying
Anaheim Chiles
Bonnie Green Bell - small red one off to the side
Habanero - cant remember what kind, its got some tiny pods that aren't close to ready.

And now THESE:

I'm gonna make some Poppers with diced habanero in the mix. Who else has a ghetto garden like me?

charlesNYC has a fire escape garden...

I'd like to see pics of the garden also. The pods look nice, so you must be doing something right.

Thanks, salsalady! I'll get some pics this evening, but you're going to be disappointed and possibly shocked/apalled at how I'm treating these plants lol.

Also, what's the deal with the Anaheim Chile above? It's two pods from one flower. Is that common?

I noticed that double pod, and can't answer your question, this is my first year growing peppers. I'm sure others will chime in.

I got a few double pods this year. On a hot banana, pueblo, and a few others. Some just deform that way. Its perfectly alright. Had a few habaneros with little habs or germinated seeds in them too.

Twin pods are pretty normal, I have some fatalii twins on a plant right now. Funny thing is, they came from one flower.

I'm a slacker, but I finally took some phone pics of my Ghetto Garden.

CIMG0185.jpg

This is my garden! I live in a rowhouse and this is my backyard. Not much to work with, right?

The big bushy plants in the back are two banana peppers and an Anaheim Chile. The orange bucket on the ground to the right is a Bonnie Green Bell (which I bought by accident), a habanero, and a nice sized cayenne. Anyone know what the leafy plants in the foreground are? Take a guess!

CIMG0187.jpg

Here's a closer look at the bucket that was on the ground. I'm sure you're horrified at my attempt to cram three plants in each bucket, but it worked for the most part. The cayenne is pretty healthy and the leaves are a nice shade of green. Don't mind the dead/dying tomato plant in the background. I got one mater from it and it kicked.

CIMG0189.jpg

Here's a close-up of an Anaheim ripening up. i think I need to clean my camera lens.

CIMG0190.jpg

Cayenne! It's a beautiful red, but mine aren't that long. Maybe because it's fighting with two other root systems?

Or steady your hand while taking pics :P

At least you have a functioning camera to take pictures. :mope:

They've come a long way, I'm impressed.

Well you have plenty of room to have a nice jungle. Just need more pots. Would be cool to see a ghetto jungle next season. ;) nice start though.

Thanks, salsalady! I'll get some pics this evening, but you're going to be disappointed and possibly shocked/apalled at how I'm treating these plants lol.

Also, what's the deal with the Anaheim Chile above? It's two pods from one flower. Is that common?

Siamese peppers :rofl:

Back