• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BigTex - Naga Jolokia Grow Thread

Guess i will try a little grow thread and see how these go ...
These are the first "Super Hots" i have ever grown, hopefully it will go good.
I just couldn't wait to get these Naga Jolokia seeds started that i got from Justaguy (((Thanks Brian)))

I took 12 seeds and started them in the paper towel method ... 100% Germination!
They didn't all sprout at once but the 1st one sprouted in 4 days and then the rest 2 and 3 days later.
Then after a couple of days in the soil .... up pop these little beauty's :cool: (sprouts placed about 1/4" deep in soil)

These pics were just taken today ....

naga_jolokia_a-1-4-11.JPG

naga_jolokia_b-1-4-11.JPG

They are like kids. Remember how cute they are now be cause when they are older they will cause a lot of pain. lol.

Enjoy

Well that first bunch didn't make it (I didn't use good soil and the just wouldn't grow at all)

So I started some more with some jiffy seed starting soil and they are doing great.

These pics taken today ......

2-18-11_2a.jpg

2-18-11_3.jpg

2-18-11_3a.jpg

2-18-11_1.jpg

Beautiful. I really should have written down who I got seeds from in trades and such so I can mark mine when I start them.

Those NJ's look really healthy.

Just picked up Jiffy starting mix tonight and tomorrow should get my shelves done. Anxiety is kicking in

Yes, that is where i normally keep it. I did start out lower but it was just too hot (over 100 degrees) and the plants just didn't like it. That is a 6 tube T5 (high output bulbs) fixture and at that height it stays around 89 degrees.

I dont think the plants are too "leggy" or anything but this is my 1st time growing anything inside, under lights, so I am still learning a lot! Also in 2 or 3 weeks it will be warm enough here in San Antonio to move everything outside.

Some great lookin little plants there Tex. :onfire: From what I've read around here I think you're doing the right thing with the light and it's obvious with the way those plants look.

>>>>>> Update <<<<<<<<

Man ... it got up to 95 degrees here today.

Been hardening off my plants. Today they got about 5 hours of direct sun.

These pics were taken right before i brought them in after sun bathing :cool:

11-27-11_1.jpg

11-27-11_2.jpg

11-27-11_3.jpg

11-27-11_4.jpg

11-27-11_5.jpg

Update on my Naga Jolokia's (seed from justaguy) .........

I did screw up again. I got some cheap potting soil to use for a base for a mix i was trying to make.
It just had WAY too much sand in it and it screwed up my babies for a bit! }:-(

Here are some pics , it really turned the new growth yellow and a little deformed.

(Taken March 6th, 2011)

peppers_3-6-11_1.jpg

peppers_3-6-11_3.jpg

peppers_3-6-11_6.jpg

peppers_3-6-11_7.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now fast forward to today ..........

I mixed up some better potting soil and potted them all up in 1 gal pots.
And I put 1 in the ground and 1 in about a 7 or 8 gal pot. Did this about a week ago.

They are looking a lot better now ! ~}:-)

These pics taken today, March 25th, 2011

naga_3-25-11_1.jpg

naga_3-25-11_2.jpg

naga_3-25-11_3.jpg

naga_3-25-11_4.jpg

naga_3-25-11_5.jpg

naga_3-25-11_6.jpg

Looks like a couple are starting to form some flower buds... should I pinch these off???

Thanks, Don

Good looking plants there BigTex. I know its hard to pinch the early buds but it will force it to work harder producing more later than a few straglers early. Good Luck Also you should keep the lower growth (near the ground)trimmed. It forces more growth up top and reduces bug pathways.

Mike

Good looking plants there BigTex. I know its hard to pinch the early buds but it will force it to work harder producing more later than a few straglers early. Good Luck Also you should keep the lower growth (near the ground)trimmed. It forces more growth up top and reduces bug pathways.

Mike

Cool .... thanks !!!

These pics taken today, March 25th, 2011

naga_3-25-11_1.jpg

naga_3-25-11_4.jpg

Man, I wish I had some of those Bimbo Bakery trays for carrying around 8-gallons at a time. Nice.... :cool:

Also, you may the first to post the first pepper into the actual ground this season. (in this hemisphere)
Nicely done overall!!

Man, I wish I had some of those Bimbo Bakery trays for carrying around 8-gallons at a time. Nice.... :cool:

Also, you may the first to post the first pepper into the actual ground this season. (in this hemisphere)
Nicely done overall!!

Thanks ! It's a little tight but those trays will hold 12 - 1 gallon nursery cans! I love them ~}:-)

naga_3-25-11_3.jpg

Big T, those plants are looking great, you got some hot coming this summer. Nice work

Thanks ..... I cant wait to get some pods! I have 75 total of Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion and Sctoch Bonnets so i will leave a few of these early buds to see if they will make a nice pod.

I am totally new to growing "super hots" so i was wondering ..... do these early pods usually come out pretty good ?

Back