• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BigTex - Naga Jolokia Grow Thread

Did you sprout them by just covering them w/ a little dirt?

No , all were germinated with the paper towel method.

petin_seeds_germanating_1.jpg

petin_seeds_germanating_2.jpg

petin_seeds_germanating_3.jpg

petin_seeds_germanating_4.jpg

petin_seeds_germanating_5.jpg

Thank a lot for that. One more question- do you do anything to keep the container at a certain temp?

I did try to keep the temp at around 85° Fahrenheit but it did fluctuate between 79° - 85°.
They didn't all sprout at once but the 1st one sprouted in 4 days and then the rest 2 and 3 days later.

There is a lot of varying opinions on the temp for germinating these "superhot" seeds see this link for one.

I did try to keep the temp at around 85° Fahrenheit but it did fluctuate between 79° - 85°.
They didn't all sprout at once but the 1st one sprouted in 4 days and then the rest 2 and 3 days later.

There is a lot of varying opinions on the temp for germinating these "superhot" seeds see this link for one.
I ask because I don't have any appliances, like a DVR player, that I could set it on top of to keep the temp up.

Lookin' good, neighbor! I got all of mine in the ground/pots last week. Not looking quite as good as yours, but I'm close. Have another 18 plants coming next week via mail and I'm set. I hope I can keep the deer and the dogs out of my ground plants. One dog victim so far, and Hugo the damn yard guy weedeated my only Naga in the ground. It *might* make it back. We had to have a conversation about my flower beds. G'luck! Hope we have some peppers before it gets too hot for our pee to hit the ground in July!

Lookin' good, neighbor! I got all of mine in the ground/pots last week. Not looking quite as good as yours, but I'm close. Have another 18 plants coming next week via mail and I'm set. I hope I can keep the deer and the dogs out of my ground plants. One dog victim so far, and Hugo the damn yard guy weedeated my only Naga in the ground. It *might* make it back. We had to have a conversation about my flower beds. G'luck! Hope we have some peppers before it gets too hot for our pee to hit the ground in July!

G'Luck right back at ya! Man that one that got whacked by the weedeater really sucks!!! I am really looking forward to some pods.

I know, here are some pics from May, 24th 2011.
I have about 6 of these "naga" jolokia plants left.
I sold some and gave some away to friends.

These plants have been in FULL sun from the beginning and they aren't looking very good now.
It has been smokin hot here in SA! I do have some that are in partial shade that are looking very good.

I will take some more recent pics tomorrow!

naga-may_1.jpg

naga-may_2.jpg

naga-may_3.jpg

naga-may_4.jpg

naga-may_5.jpg

Here are some pics from today.
I moved that pot to the half shade area.
And I added some pics of another "naga" I have with some ripening pods on it .....

naga_june_1.jpg

naga_june_2.jpg

naga_june_3.jpg

naga_june_4.jpg

naga_june_5.jpg

naga_june_6.jpg

naga_june_7.jpg

Good to see the superhots growing in South Texas. I am working on my own plants right now, sure has been hot.

Good to see the superhots growing in South Texas. I am working on my own plants right now, sure has been hot.

Hot , Hot , Hot !!!! And NO Rain here at all :(
I have to water twice a day and my plants still wilt.
Looks like you are gonna get some good rain down in the
valley from that tropical system that is in the gulf right now!

I will keep my fingers crossed for ya ! :pray:

Yeah. It's so bloody hot and dry here that I have horrible leaf drop almost everywhere. No pod set. My plants are toast. Just trying to keep them alive until September when they might produce again.

This is the time of year (and earlier and earlier) when I HATE living here. December is a nice reminder of why I do, though.

I did get a couple handfuls of beautiful (and awesomely tasty) yellow bhuts this year though.

BT, your plants look pretty darn good given the conditions lately. Most of mine are in much worse condition.

Back