• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bih Jolokia

The bih jolokia I grew was fast. It also set pods quick and was a very heavy producer. I originally bought them from Judy.

Dulac said:
The bih jolokia I grew was fast. It also set pods quick and was a very heavy producer. I originally bought them from Judy.

I already have little seedlings and I just started them a week or so ago.  My seeds also came from Judy as well.  I'm super excited about this variety.

t0mato said:

I already have little seedlings and I just started them a week or so ago.  My seeds also came from Judy as well.  I'm super excited about this variety.

Cool, I really liked her bih jolokias. :)

A little update on my Bih's They have been topped and are just taking off like crazy. They are the biggest plant's I have at the moment.
cI5HRAk.jpg

I have 100% germination on my Bihs (seeds from Pepperlover). They germinated at the same time as my non-superhot chinenses, and the biggest Bih is already pushing out its first set of true leaves. Meanwhile, my purple and chocolate Bhuts have yet to pop. I'm looking forward to this Bih Jolokia variety. They are off to a promising start, at least  :)

edit to add: Anyone ever grow the Black or Orange Bih? I'm really interested in those, and would love to hear the opinions of any who have grown them.

SvtCobra said:
A little update on my Bih's They have been topped and are just taking off like crazy. They are the biggest plant's I have at the moment.
cI5HRAk.jpg

That thing looks good.  It's going to wind up thick and bushy since you topped it.  Hopefully it will produce lots of fruit.  I bought the (so called) improved strain from the Christopher Phillips rare seed collection.  I might start a few of them just to compare to the bih plants that I have now.

BlackFatalii said:
I have 100% germination on my Bihs (seeds from Pepperlover). They germinated at the same time as my non-superhot chinenses, and the biggest Bih is already pushing out its first set of true leaves. Meanwhile, my purple and chocolate Bhuts have yet to pop. I'm looking forward to this Bih Jolokia variety. They are off to a promising start, at least  :)

Same here!  I started 10 seeds and wound up with ten plants.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them all.

t0mato said:

That thing looks good.  It's going to wind up thick and bushy since you topped it.  Hopefully it will produce lots of fruit.  I bought the (so called) improved strain from the Christopher Phillips rare seed collection.  I might start a few of them just to compare to the bih plants that I have now.

Same here!  I started 10 seeds and wound up with ten plants.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them all.
This is the CP302 from Christopher. I do think you will be happy with them! I most certainly am thus far. Hopefully I will still be singing the same tune when it comes time to flower and fruit. My Caramel Bih should be popping this week. How is yours looking?

BlackFatalii said:

edit to add: Anyone ever grow the Black or Orange Bih? I'm really interested in those, and would love to hear the opinions of any who have grown them.
I have grown the black bih. It's very cool looking pod. But flavor wise I prefer the Caramel and Red Bih's.

Last Year i only grew "7Pods" and Habaneros / Fataliis. I love them for their fruity and sweet flavor, but sometimes it is just too much.

I ordered some "Bhut" Powder and i love how "hefty" the flavor was ( simliar to some kind of anuums, "Gorria" for example). It is not so sweet and fruity, but deep and rich. So it is perfect for red meat dishes.

The only thing i didnt liked was that the powder taste was not very strong and had some "musty" undertones.

Can you reccomend a bhut/bih varietie from any seller? Im in search for a strong "hefty", but less "musty" tasting Bhut /Bih.

I hope its understandable what i mean, cause i needed to select some words out of the dictionary :-P.

Zackorz said:
Last Year i only grew "7Pods" and Habaneros / Fataliis. I love them for their fruity and sweet flavor, but sometimes it is just too much.

I ordered some "Bhut" Powder and i love how "hefty" the flavor was ( simliar to some kind of anuums, "Gorria" for example). It is not so sweet and fruity, but deep and rich. So it is perfect for red meat dishes.

The only thing i didnt liked was that the powder taste was not very strong and had some "musty" undertones.

Can you reccomend a bhut/bih varietie from any seller? Im in search for a strong "hefty", but less "musty" tasting Bhut /Bih.

I hope its understandable what i mean, cause i needed to select some words out of the dictionary :-P.

Bih/ Bhuts from Pepperlover.com

Chocolate, Peach, Caramel, Yellow and Red Bhuts from Semillas.de

Trusted dealers! ;)

Guitarman said:

Bih/ Bhuts from Pepperlover.com

Chocolate, Peach, Caramel, Yellow and Red Bhuts from Semillas.de

Trusted dealers! ;)
Ok thanks, tastewise would you recommend the bih oder the bhut?

Zackorz said:
Ok thanks, tastewise would you recommend the bih oder the bhut?

Growing the Bih for the first time this year, but i had great experiences with Red, Caramel and specially Chocolate Bhut: sweet, fruity flavour and heat that slowly kills you! ;)

Look at that oil!!!

Guitarman said:

Growing the Bih for the first time this year, but i had great experiences with Red, Caramel and specially Chocolate Bhut: sweet, fruity flavour and heat that slowly kills you! ;)

Look at that oil!!!

I guess i have tro ty both :-) Typically i like the red varieties the most. But i have only experience with 7pods, so i dont know how it is with bhuts.

Mhh dipping the fingers in the oil and scratch you somewhere  :P

Honestly i found Bhut's flavour more typical and particular than the 7 Pots, but it's just a matter of tastes!
Will update my results with the Bih!

Back in the day,I saw Bih Jolokia as a hotter version than Naga Morich.
The WHAT is now called ASSAM BHUT was HOTTER THAN THE BHUT JOLOKIA.
AT THE TIME.

Bih Jolokia was kinda like a go between type pepper.

As Prolific as Morich but as good tasting but hotter.

But since Super Hot Mania and Crosses ruling these days.

I highly doubt most people have any of the ORIGINAL seeds.

Just google Butch T,you'll see tons of different pod pics.

Unless you got Butch T seeds in 2005 or 6, (both for the Scorpion Jonah and & pot Jonah.you have PROBABLY a cross from non isolated plants or Butch's seeds weren't pure.

He didn't isolate stuff back then.
Don't know if he does now...

Just like when all the armchair experts said the YELLOW FG was a cross,NO super was yellow or ever could be...!

Butch didn't know WHY his Scorpion was so hot.
He posted for YEARS he had no clue.

It may or may not have crossed with a Cumari do(du) Passarinho at the time.

The Cumari was -from what I heard from people at Open Fields,VERY hot for a Cumari.

No seeds from the Cumari ever grew as hot as far as I know.

I have a LOT of seeds from the early days from several pioneers in growing every pepper known to man,our quest to spread the heat to the chili impaired.

There is a special place in my heart for the early supers.
Back then taste and heat mattered.
Now it's just heat that matters in general.
I personally think the original Butch T tasted like battery acid.
I used them for heat only in spice mixes.
After toning down the heat,they were great to use to get a heat that I liked.

Just MY opinion,worth exactly what you paid for it...

Got a seeds pack that is labeled "Early Naga Mix", i guess i have to try some of these.

Next year will be the "year of the Bhut" :-).

I wanted to grow these this year, but Judy was sold out of this variety so settled on Naga Morich instead.  I'll get seeds for next year as I like varieties which are heavy producers.

Growing:  B.O.C. - Choc Bhut x Douglah, Choc Bhut, Naga Morich, Bhut Assam, and Peach Bhut.   So I think I am covered on the Bhut family, lol. 

Buzzman19 said:
I wanted to grow these this year, but Judy was sold out of this variety so settled on Naga Morich instead.  I'll get seeds for next year as I like varieties which are heavy producers.

Growing:  B.O.C. - Choc Bhut x Douglah, Choc Bhut, Naga Morich, Bhut Assam, and Peach Bhut.   So I think I am covered on the Bhut family, lol. 
  You could have got them from Buckeye. They have had had stock since last summer. Pepperlover seems to be on a break from her business. She has been out of stock for almost 6 months now. And she has not released a single thing yet for the 2016 year.

Back