• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bird Chilli...

So while I was living in Long Beach, CA I knew several Cambodian families and they kinda took me in. I was introduced to some of their spicy food. Let me just say that Cambodians can throw down some really hot food.

Anyways, one of the peppers that I was introduced to was sort of small, bright red, and had some heat to it. The flavor that this small pepper had was awesome, at least for a small pepper is what I thought.

Well, the entire time I was there I never was able to find out the name to the pepper. I moved back to FL and started growing it because I liked it so much. Well, after almost 6 years of not knowing the name of it, or really trying to, I have finally found out the name of it. It is called Bird Chilli. I haven't grown it in about 5 years as I have moved alot. But I plan on trying to get my hands on some once I get back to the states. If you haven't tried growing this pepper you should. Its fairly easy to grow and tastes awesome.

Josh

Thai-Hot-Pepper-Chili.jpg

Hi Josh,

as you`ll find out here, there are dozens of chilis known as "bird chili" from all over the world. I have one from St Lucia, one from Africa, a couple from Thailand, one from Burma and one from Vietnam. They are usually C.annuum species, but one or two might be C.frutescens. Not surprisingly, birds love them and spread the seeds all over the place. Some are blazing hot, some are just hot. Some taste great and some just so-so. I had one from Thailand that tasted of soap. Not great!

A lot of people here grow this kind of chili and may be able to help you with seed. I don`t have seed left, but I`d be happy to send you pods towards the end of the summer if I have them.

Hi Josh, as Nigel said there are loads of bird peppers, some can be quite rare and interesting some have great flavor and heat while others taste oily and just so so. I wish I could help you out, but I lost all my wild birdeyes and tepins this spring I let the seeds get to old and none sprouted, I do plan to obtain some seeds later this fall if all goes well, I'm hoping to get some rare varieties also if I'm lucky. Your peppers look a lot like the ones I ate while in Vietnam many years ago, if they tasted as good as the ones I had, your a lucky fellow. Your nearest asian market might have them fresh, dried or maybe a pack of seeds of them.

During my down time today I spent a good while looking up different seeds that I might want to get my hands on. I know I posted a picture of "Bird Chilis", lol. Those were probably the closest looking to the ones that I was used to eating(in very small quantities). I think I might have to go back to Long Beach to get the same ones that I had before. But like you guys said there are alot of varieties. I do want to get my hands on some Chocolate Habeneros when I get back though. They look cool and sound pretty hot. Oh, and the "Bird Chilis" that I am used to eating aren't as hot as the Bhut Jolokia, but the are pretty hot, at least to me.

Josh

I am growing the piri piri this year. I think it is the African birds eye pepper? Not sure which bird nickname it has but I am excited about it! I have extra seeds fit the piri piri and chocolate habanero as well if you want me to toss a few in the mail.

The southeast Asian bird peppers tend towards being hot, but nothing other than C.chinense varieties really come close to Bhut levels of heat. at least that I know of. One type to looks for is the Donni Sali from islands in the South Pacific. They are very small peppers, but pack quite a wallop. I think they are a C.frutescens variety.

I am growing the piri piri this year. I think it is the African birds eye pepper? Not sure which bird nickname it has but I am excited about it! I have extra seeds fit the piri piri and chocolate habanero as well if you want me to toss a few in the mail.

Not sure if the name piri-piri refers to a bird, if that's what you mean. A Goan friend of mine, who lived in Angola for a few years, says that the name is not African at all but comes from the Portuguese expression "puta que pariu" - more or less "son of a bitch" (literally "whore that gave birth"). I'm pretty sure it's a descendant of the Brazilian malagueta chilli, taken to the African colonies by the Portuguese.

I don't know if you were talking about sending me some, lol. I have had my eye on the Chocolate Habanero, which looks cool, hot and tasty. If you were talking about sending me some that would be freaking awesome. Although I don't quite have an address yet. But I can get that to you within the next week. That would be cool growing peppers out here in Afghanistan, lol. I have actually found a few mentions of Afghan short and long peppers. I want to find those and get the seeds and see how well it grows. Also, if I do find them I will send them to anyone that wants the seeds.

Josh

Josh thanks for your service in Afghan! I am not American but I respect the hard work you are the rest of the military is doing to keep the whole world secure and safe.

I have St. Lucia bird pepper pods and a mix of St. Lucia hot pepper seeds that I can send your way if you wish to give these a try.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38363-st-lucia-bird-pepper/

PM me your address and I will have an envelope on the way.

Thanks again,
Daniel K

Back